Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
High-Speed Sync in Wireless Mode- WHY?

OK, I've seen a few threads asking, can flash model "X" do HSS in wireless mode?, etc.

My question is, can anyone give specific examples where wireless HSS (which would require two flash units, one camera-mounted as controller, one as remote slave) would be needed? I'm wondering if this feature that I desire is even something I would ever use or need?

03-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Take a photo of someone in bright sunlight but you want to make your background dark (like it's near sunset). You'll need either a) HSS or b) big powerful studio strobe to overpower the sun...
03-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But why wireless?

I can "picture" that, but still, would you be using a second off-camera flash "wirelessly" in HSS, for this? Seems I could be using just one flash mounted on-camera, set to P-TTL HSS, to achieve this, no? Have you ever done the two-flash HSS wireless set-up for such a purpose? And as a side note it seems that the ONLY way to do that is to have the off-camera unit be either a Pentax 360 or 540, to still have it function in HSS...

Maybe I'm not being clear. I can understand using ONE flash in HSS, but in what type of situation would you need to use two?

Last edited by NeverSatisfied; 03-07-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: clarification
03-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Maybe I'm not being clear. I can understand using ONE flash in HSS, but in what type of situation would you need to use two?
cross-lighting.
not enough power.
rim-lighting.

etc..

03-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
cross-lighting.
not enough power.
rim-lighting.

etc..
OK I was doing an inside set-up using three flashes on radio triggers; two umbrellas plus a rim light from behind. And of course I had to stay at or below 1/180th to do this. So if I were to do the same exact set-up, *outside*, (which I have not done) then it sounds like that might be a case for HSS- the radio triggers would not allow a sufficient shutter speed. Now, when mentioning "not enough power", my Metz manual specifically warns that when using HSS the flash range is reduced significantly. So while the example you gave earlier sounds like a good hypothetical scenario for use of a two-flash, wireless HSS set-up, have you or anyone else actually -done- this? So far I've heard a lot of talk about the theoretical capabilities of flash "X" or "Y"in HSS-wireless mode, but I have never actually read ANY thread yet where people have stated that they HAVE in fact done so. That's what I'm after. Sorry if I'm wearing out your patience Ken!
Paul
03-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

search on the strobist site. Yes, it's been done, but not w/ Pentax gear...
03-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Strobist!

Thanks for the link!
Paul

03-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikon and Canon, my opinion, have superior flash systems. You should see the Joe McNally shoot in the Dubai desert. He had like a dozen Speedlights set on HSS (since you lose power) and lets the camera make choices on the flash output. He was able to beat back the midday sun to less than sunset levels. Quite cool.

HSS is useful on camera, but it's also quite useful off-camera as well.

Last edited by krypticide; 03-09-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Grammar error ;-)
03-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Nikon and Canon, my opinion, have superior flash systems. You should see the Joe McNally shoot in the Dubai desert. He had like a dozen Speedlights set on HSS (since you lose power) and let's the camera make choices on the flash output. He was able to beat back the midday sun to less than sunset levels. Quite cool.

HSS is useful on camera, but it's also quite useful off-camera as well.
That's a cool video. I never thought about hand holding a bunch of flashes and shooting them through an umbrella for some soft fill during the day.

YouTube - Desert Shoot w/Joe McNally
03-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
That's a cool video. I never thought about hand holding a bunch of flashes and shooting them through an umbrella for some soft fill during the day.

YouTube - Desert Shoot w/Joe McNally
Yes truly amazing results! Well of course he's a pro but holy cow, he's got more $$ tied up in just flash units than my entire Pentax system put together!