Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You're wrong.
You know you're in a rough forum, when even the moderators are surly .

03-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
You know you're in a rough forum, when even the moderators are surly .

Like Brian (FHPhotographer) is so very fond of saying, you're wrong. The isn't a rough forum and the moderators aren't surly. Okay, maybe Damn Brit is a bit surly. However, welcome to the club. Damn Brit has been wrong. I've been wrong. And just about everyone else responding to a thread started by Brian, not in total agreement with him, has been wrong. Why were we wrong? Because Brian said so. Now I've added you to that long list of wrong people, so welcome once again.

stewart
03-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Like Brian (FHPhotographer) is so very fond of saying, you're wrong. The isn't a rough forum and the moderators aren't surly. Okay, maybe Damn Brit is a bit surly. However, welcome to the club. Damn Brit has been wrong. I've been wrong. And just about everyone else responding to a thread started by Brian, not in total agreement with him, has been wrong. Why were we wrong? Because Brian said so. Now I've added you to that long list of wrong people, so welcome once again.

stewart
That's just so wrong!
03-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
Damn Brit

stewart
LOL, how about starting a user group for us 'Wrongun's' Stewart?

03-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

stewart
So funny and true.

In Brian (FHPhotographer) we have found the true Descartes of the photography world, a worldview that is shaped and can exist only by what hls mind can conceive. Remember the famous Latin phrase cogito ergo sum (English: "I think, therefore I am")?

Well translated here it becomes... if he thinks that street photography is unethical and therefore it must be, and you're all wrong...
03-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #21
Damn Brit

This isn't moderation on my part.
I just figure if someone is apologising, people should cut that person some slack and not continue to berate them. I thought there was a bit more humanity on the forum than is apparent in this thread.
03-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Very nice, Brian. I, too have found myself a little too quick on the trigger here lately. I'll try to moderate myself better in the future.

Last edited by rfortson; 03-13-2009 at 07:55 AM.
03-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
(snip) I just figure if someone is apologising, people should cut that person some slack (snip)

I thought I actually was cutting Brian some slack by simply joking about all this. Of course, I'm probably wrong about that as well, so will give it a rest.

stewart

03-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #24
Damn Brit

I thought I actually was cutting Brian some slack by simply joking about all this. Of course, I'm probably wrong about that as well, so will give it a rest.

stewart
I see Brian has been posting in a few of the photo threads, perhaps we need to do more of that, very therapeutic.
I think most of us were guilty of simply hijacking Brians thread, it's lucky Brian wasn't participating.
I would like to apologise for my part in it Brian.
03-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
FHPhotographer
Site Supporter
All Members:
I want to apologize to the Forum for my role in the growing adversarial tone in the Forum; I, for one, accept my share of blame for this.

After some consideration, I realized I have been applying verbal communication standards to a medium that is obviously nonverbal. Stripped of much of the context and nuance, even posts that I believe benign have elicited unfortunate response.

While some of my posts may been inappropriate and/or confrontational, so too, some of the posts to me, or about me, also have been inappropriate. I can do nothing about the latter, but I can do something about the former.

Therefore, resolved that, henceforward or whatever, all my future threads or posts will be photographic-specific comment, opinion or inquiry. I will not post any comment, opinion or observation beyond that photographic-specific information, nor will I respond to any post that includes inappropriate comment or invective directed toward me, or toward any other member of the Forum.

This may be common sense to most of you, but we all learn at different times and in different ways, and let’s hope this old dog has room for at least this one new trick,
Brian
I am impressed with someone who has the guts to admit they made a mistake. The human condition, if it is to ameliorate, implores we admit our mistakes, thereby making growing out of them possible. It takes tremendous strength to publicy declare the above words--way to be Brian!

It also implores some humor now and then.
03-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
You don't know who is sitting at the other end of the wire
You don't know what is going on in their life
You don't know what affect your message/comment has on that person
You don't know what affect your message/comment will have on the family and/or friends of that person if they get upset
You don't know what will happen if/when that person tracks you down.
Also:

Email is flat
Threaded messages are flat
There is an immense potential for misunderstanding with email or forum posts
It is hard enough to read minds to determine intent when talking face-to-face...harder still over the wire.

Steve
Sweet Wisdom, clearly laid out for us all--thanks Steve!
03-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Can we all do the group hug now and get back at each others throats now
03-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Preferred Forum

Well, I must've missed the thread in question, but "in my opinion" , Pentax Forums is already quite civil, and members much more willing to educate or share their knowledge, than some of the other places like DPR.

FWIW, I was over there a while back, and saw a post where somebody made a comment about selling other forum members' work. Didn't sound like a joke at all and when I questioned it, I was not made to feel very welcome! And I did make an apology for MY "mistake", but it was not even acknowledged. Stuff like that makes me hesitant to post -anything- over there, even if I feel like I may have something valid to contribute.
Paul