Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An apology and a pledge

All Members:
I want to apologize to the Forum for my role in the growing adversarial tone in the Forum; I, for one, accept my share of blame for this.

After some consideration, I realized I have been applying verbal communication standards to a medium that is obviously nonverbal. Stripped of much of the context and nuance, even posts that I believe benign have elicited unfortunate response.

While some of my posts may been inappropriate and/or confrontational, so too, some of the posts to me, or about me, also have been inappropriate. I can do nothing about the latter, but I can do something about the former.

Therefore, resolved that, henceforward or whatever, all my future threads or posts will be photographic-specific comment, opinion or inquiry. I will not post any comment, opinion or observation beyond that photographic-specific information, nor will I respond to any post that includes inappropriate comment or invective directed toward me, or toward any other member of the Forum.

This may be common sense to most of you, but we all learn at different times and in different ways, and letís hope this old dog has room for at least this one new trick,
Brian

03-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea what all of this is about, but it seems like you will be reducing any possibility of "virtual" drama out of your "online life"... so cheers!

03-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I greatly appreciate your note. I am brand new to this forum and have already been a bit discouraged by some of the petty comments. Thank you.

Steve
03-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Moved to general section.

03-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Moved to general section.
PM sent, please respond,
Brian
03-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I will let Adam decide where this thread belongs.
03-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
All Members:
.....................................This may be common sense to most of you, but we all learn at different times and in different ways, and letís hope this old dog has room for at least this one new trick,
Brian
Brian,
There are those who learn by watching, those who learn by doing, those who learn by reading, those who learn by listening...........................
Then there are the rest of us who just have to pee on the electric fence to see for ourselves.
03-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're quite right about the quirks of electronic communication. I'm impressed by your willingness to learn and the acknowledgment of your part in a thread that went sour. Well done!

03-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There are a couple of very simple rules to follow in civil discussion:

- Criticize the statements, if you must - but NEVER criticize the person.

- Don't attack an opinion. People hold different opinions because different things are important to them. The only bad opinions are the ones based on faulty data.

And it would also be nirvana if everyone would:

- Present opinions as opinions, and facts as facts with something to substantiate them if possible.

One of my favourite quotes:

I wish I could present facts as eloquently as you present opinions.
03-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the note. I have made it a practice to avoid most of the political or religious threads and feel that I am probably happier for the choice. A few things to remember about the Web:
  • You don't know who is sitting at the other end of the wire
  • You don't know what is going on in their life
  • You don't know what affect your message/comment has on that person
  • You don't know what affect your message/comment will have on the family and/or friends of that person if they get upset
  • You don't know what will happen if/when that person tracks you down.
Also:
  • Email is flat
  • Threaded messages are flat
  • There is an immense potential for misunderstanding with email or forum posts
  • It is hard enough to read minds to determine intent when talking face-to-face...harder still over the wire.

Steve
03-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
And it would also be nirvana if everyone would:

- Present opinions as opinions, and facts as facts with something to substantiate them if possible.
Then what would happen to all the news and rumor threads??

FHphotographer: it's hard to communicate on forums sometimes because those little non-verbal cues (don't they make up something crazy like 80% of communication between people?) aren't visible. Sometimes you have no choice but to go a little overboard with language and make yourself exceedingly clear or risk misinterpretation.
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the note. I have made it a practice to avoid most of the political or religious threads and feel that I am probably happier for the choice. A few things to remember about the Web:
  • It is hard enough to read minds to determine intent when talking face-to-face...harder still over the wire.

Steve
Steve,
you make very valid points regarding the quirks of online communication. I've always thought that even though it is convenient, the intent of the poster in fora such as this can be mistaken so often depending on the mood of the reader. It's really a wonder that "flame wars" don't break out more often.

I have to say overall I'm impressed with how people handle themselves in this forum, it is one of the most civilized of the larger forums I frequent.

To the OP: I read a lot of the thread you are speaking of in your apology. Things went sour on both ends, I certainly don't think you should hold back your opinions in the future because of this one incident.

In general, when it comes to opinions at some point you'll eventually run into someone just as stubborn as yourself in the opposite opinion.
When that happens you simply have to butt heads once or twice, agree to disagree and then let it go, rather than letting yourself get wrapped up in it and getting upset.

Anyway, that's enough from me. Have a good night.
03-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi Brian,
Only thing to say after reading through the posts is that you have a strong opinion.

What you have to remember is that sometimes there are no right or wrongs just a difference. And that is that. We dont need to agree or differ, because we should be able to understand that the OP has the right to another view and is allowed to have another opinion.
When we start imposing our opinion, right or wrong, then we start becoming like the parts of the world that are devoided of freedom. (of course we are not talking about breaking the law here either)
Anyway, we are all adults, so we should also behave that way and understanding empathy goes a long way.

Cheers Neil
03-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
What you have to remember is that sometimes there are no right or wrongs just a difference. And that is that. We dont need to agree or differ, because we should be able to understand that the OP has the right to another view and is allowed to have another opinion.
Exactly. Take, for example, the issue of electronic viewfinders. I've seen discussions in other forums where some people pronounce that they're terrific, while other people say they're cr@p. Then the two groups start lobbing "I'm right, you're wrong" missiles.

Ridiculous! The fact is that both have pros and cons, and whether you're in one group or another depends on how closely the pros match YOUR needs and the cons don't. Both opinions are perfectly valid.

It's like a sports car driver trying to convince a truck driver that he should really be driving an Audi TT.
03-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
Exactly. Take, for example, the issue of electronic viewfinders. I've seen discussions in other forums where some people pronounce that they're terrific, while other people say they're cr@p. Then the two groups start lobbing "I'm right, you're wrong" missiles.

Ridiculous! The fact is that both have pros and cons, and whether you're in one group or another depends on how closely the pros match YOUR needs and the cons don't. Both opinions are perfectly valid.

It's like a sports car driver trying to convince a truck driver that he should really be driving an Audi TT.
You're wrong.