Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #1

Photographing Cars--> Advice

A friend and I went to a parkade about a year and a half ago when I was first learning photography to do a shoot with his car. I was fairly dissapointed with the results, partially because i was using a tripod and SR was on , and partially because the lighting conditions were crummy and I was just in the infancy of learning. I have not tried to shoot any cars since, but am still very much interested. What are some general pointers when shooting cars. I was thinking on using the DA 10-17 and DA* 50-135 for future shots. Would these lenses be appropriate? Maybe the DA 18-55 for some wide angles? Some car shooting "rules" I know about from other articles are things like: 1) Don't shoot a car when it's on grass, as this is not the car's "natural habitat." 2) don't shoot a car's 1/4 frontal or rear view with only 3 wheels visible, as this makes the car look like it only has 3 wheels
Any other tips anyone can give me?

03-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At cars shows, I use the 12-24 the most, and some 10-17 when possible. Not normally enough room to back up for a longer lens. No tripod as it is too limiting. If I was shooting a single car outside, I might someday use a tripod, though unlikely...
03-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Black Magic Photographing Cars--> Advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A friend and I went to a parkade about a year and a half ago when I was first learning photography to do a shoot with his car. I was fairly dissapointed with the results, partially because i was using a tripod and SR was on , and partially because the lighting conditions were crummy and I was just in the infancy of learning. I have not tried to shoot any cars since, but am still very much interested. What are some general pointers when shooting cars. I was thinking on using the DA 10-17 and DA* 50-135 for future shots. Would these lenses be appropriate? Maybe the DA 18-55 for some wide angles? Some car shooting "rules" I know about from other articles are things like: 1) Don't shoot a car when it's on grass, as this is not the car's "natural habitat." 2) don't shoot a car's 1/4 frontal or rear view with only 3 wheels visible, as this makes the car look like it only has 3 wheels
Any other tips anyone can give me?

Hey Black Magic--I hope this article Photographing a Car Show: Tips For Taking Digital Photos When Car Enthusiasts Show Their Toys will be of help to you. Best of luck.
03-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

In my recent shoot, I used the DA21 Limited and the DA40 Limited as well as a strobe flash.

The results came out better than I expected

03-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting cars is not that easy if facing the chance. Remember the following:

1) Wide angle lenses from close distances, enhance size and expand perspective. They are good for car's inside but alse "include" too much background, so watch your surroundings.

2) Medium to long tele glass will compress perspective and will reduce the sense of size, but will also limit whatever background is getting into the picture.

3) Cars should be treated as shiny kitchenware. That is, they are shiny and glossy everywhere, which means they will show reflections of whatever is around the car, so watch your reflections. Many times, you get a nice car shot only to discover later, that you have a hotdog stand and half a dozen peepers reflected on the car's windows. Maybe even you (the photographer) shows up in a bumper, window or car's door. If car is dark colored, reflections will be worst.

4) About reflections, sometimes is good to have large pieces of cloth (white) like bed sheets, and a couple of helpers to hold the sheet "hiding" some undesirable reflection. I guess you get the idea.
03-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I do a lot of shooting cars, mostly vintage, hot rod, restorations, etc. I do it simply for fun. I use a K10D and primarily my Pentax 16-45 zoom. I'm very happy with this combo.

I like the advice the last poster provided about reflection and use of wide angle which can distort / enhance the view of a car. I agree.

I usually find the best outdoor pictures can come an hour or two before the sun goes down or when it comes up. Gives the picture of the car an interesting 'flavour'.

It's not hard to find cars at a local outdoor display in the early evening...more difficult when the sun comes up...the cars are generally in their garages .

I usually use 100-200 ISO...like the clarity...but will bring it up to 400 to about 640 ISO...usually the K10D is still pretty good without too much noise at those ISO numbers. I use available light, avoid flash if I can, but that's my personal preference.

I hand hold, although my tripod would be better...the K10D's shake reduction comes in handy and compensates at low shutter speeds.

There are lot's of people at outdoor car shows...so using a tripod and spending a lot of time photographing one car can be problematic.

The cars are parked tight together at these shows, so a lot of times I concentrate on an interesting aspect...where I can isolate a part...say the fins of a '59 Cadillac...without any busy, non related background to mar the shot.

I always use my lens hood to avoid as much flare as I can and I punch up my colour and contrast to near max, but this is personal taste as I like my pix to 'pop'.
03-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really like the idea of hiding unwanted reflections, and will have to try the old bed sheet trick for next time.

03-13-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Circular Polarizer for sure .... it can be used to reduce harsh reflections in paintwork and get the paint a lovely deeper gloss effect without the bad reflections and flare.
03-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Circular Polarizer for sure .... it can be used to reduce harsh reflections in paintwork and get the paint a lovely deeper gloss effect without the bad reflections and flare.
I agree. I have a car I like to take to shows, and I always bring my camera. A circular polarizer not only deepens the color, but reduces glare from the windows and chrome tirm. I stick that on the end of my 18-55mm lens and that pretty much covers everything. A wide angle lens at shows is almost mandatory. It allows you to get closer to the vehicle, so other spectators aren't in the shot.
03-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #10

Attention to detail...

Attention to detail... most cars at shows are cleaned, buffed, waxed, pampered.... so don't hesitate to focus on details.

I personnally like to fill the frame with details, like curves of painted steel, design of headlights and taillights, emblems, limited edition details that make a car stand out from its "cousins"... like a V16 emblem on 30's Cadillac.

Use a polarizing filter creatively, use just the right touch to get deep colors and remove unwanted reflections, but don't over do it.... that reflection may had value to your picture. Shooting digital is almost free (once you have the equipment, of course), so shoot more than less, use the filter at different settings. A red car under an afternoon sunshine will not look as red as it reflects the blue of the sky, but with a polarizer you will probably get that deep red that attracted you to that car in the first place.

Used to take along a 35mm f2.0 and a 100mm f4.0 macro with my 35mm camera on car shows. I have used a *ist DL with 18-55mm.... too short for details... and will now be using a K10d with a Sigma 17-70.

Forget the tripod, most owners will get really nervous when you get close to their car.... but a good monopod is a great helper.

I will also be experimenting with a reflector this year... if my girlfriend wants to come with me... that will cost me ;-)

And for those not so confortable shooting angles.... above head or down on the ground, i carry a Canon Powershot.... great for shooting interior details at arms lenght.

Happy motoring.... euhhh... i mean happy shooting ;-)
03-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote

1) Wide angle lenses from close distances, enhance size and expand perspective. They are good for car's inside but alse "include" too much background, so watch your surroundings.
I recently discovered how cool some of the wide angle lens shots of cars can be by accident. The SO ordered a WA lens for her Canon and she went outside to test it. For fun I grabbed it and shot a few of my old bug (it needed a bath, but...) and I was surprised at how cool some of pictures looked with the distortion and the rounded shape of the car. I plan to scavenge ebay this weekend and hunt down a nice old school wide angle for the K-1000 now just to shoot some film shots of the mighty VW (visiting the sticky lens threads shortly), probably at the beach one morning or out in the desert - and yep - there I was in the bumper reflection of the test shots
03-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I love shooting cars, it's one of my fav things to do. This year I shot the International Car show at the Conventions Center in Philadelphia PA and used a 24-70 most of the time.
Reflections are most likely the biggest problem and blessing, lol With out the reflections you would not get that beautiful look you want.
Here is one of my favs from the show
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D  Photo 
03-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
For Sure, and shoot high, shoot low, shoot wide, but shoot tight too. Try to do it different and don't forget to "drool".

Steve
04-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
Forum Member

My first time shooting cars at a show was five months ago and I was blessed with (IMO) a few keepers. Shooting them was a blast and I'm looking forward to being able to take more someday.

Mean Look

NOS

Edelbrock

Orange Mirror
04-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
edl
Veteran Member

Sometimes a tripod is a good idea, like say for night shots:

Shooting tight is good too:

How about a nice background?

Lastly, always carry your camera with you, so you can capture the shot! I got this one of the Nissan Skyline in the middle of a packed intersection in Tokyo, before almost getting run over:

Last edited by edl; 04-05-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add photos