Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Who would like a Pentax D-MX?

In summer we will see a new semipro-entusiasm camera from pentax.

They have promised it will be smaller, but anyone of you would like it to be a old-design Pentax MX or LX but digital?

"Think about a Digital Fullframed MX with a metal chassit
In pure pentax/leica-stile, but not leica price..."

Who of you would buy that?

or do we prefer modern design and HD video? What road are we choose?

Regards Emil

ps. This question is posed to see what pentax members here on the forum like the new pentax. If they go more modern in the term of design and functions (video). Or if we want old good time pentax again. The choice is yours, but don't forgett to tell it here in the thread below.

03-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd certainly buy it; I won't say I don't like the idea of HD video; I'd certainly take a 5D Mark II any day of the week if it's offered to me :-)) But I don't need it on my Pentax. Full frame sensor (I know this has been beaten to death) I can totally use.
03-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

At the moment; FF doesn't interest me.
03-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How about a FF D-MX? That would generate major buzz... first FF cam, in a MX-like chassis... nice.... of course they'd introduce the same sensor in the KXXD and KXXXD mold... those wishing to just take pics, get the D-MX, those pining for HD video and all the bells and whistles, get the K cameras

03-13-2009, 02:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Question changed!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
At the moment; FF doesn't interest me.
okey...I just thought FF becasue the real MX have this size of the sensor.

But if I change the question a bit.

FF is too overated on forums generally.

Then! Who would like a just a MX-D with the spec of k20d or more?
03-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
How about a FF D-MX? That would generate major buzz... first FF cam, in a MX-like chassis... nice.... of course they'd introduce the same sensor in the KXXD and KXXXD mold... those wishing to just take pics, get the D-MX, those pining for HD video and all the bells and whistles, get the K cameras
yes it would...becasue a lot of all the old photo-entusiasts that was born with a MX type camera around the neck would be very very glad about this!

to tell you the true...me too

Even if I wanted pentax to have one size above in a other camera line....I like the stable k20d body..a lot!

Hope they don't give up that compleatly even if the focus will be in smaller bodys
03-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh if they do make a D-MX, I would be very glad indeed. And gives me more reason to get all the limiteds! But I'd still keep my K20D, for use with my zooms as well as look "professional" when doing paid gigs... coz I don't think clients who don't know much about photography would care nor respect me even if I was using a Leica M8 with a Noctilux! They'd rather see me with a big @$$ camera with big @$$ lenses LOL.

03-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be happy to see something "old school" styled, like MX or LX. Not just metal chasis, but metal body with ruberized grip/strip round the camera, of course weahter sealing. APS-C CMOS (I'd be happy with 14.6 as K20) with improved noise over K20, say 4/5 FPS, Tv dial moved back to the top of the camera with, superimposed ISO dial, smaller square status LCD nex to it to the right. Keep e-dial on the fron as we have it now. Metering modde/mode dial to the left of the VF as it is. Controls at the back as they are + drive mode switch/dial instead of removed back dial. Fully compatible K mount (not cripled one like now) and of course SR.... voila...
OK, now maybe I let my fantasy run too loose, but I'd like it anyway

BR

PS: generaly speaking something visualy resembling to Panasonic DMC L1 but with much better performance and smaller

Last edited by axl; 03-13-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: PS: added
03-17-2009, 03:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Honestly -- YES. I don't care about newfangled fancy features at all. Make it manual focus and manual exposure for all I care, as long as it's SMALL (yes, MX small,) has a BRIGHT and LARGE viewfinder, and is made of METAL. I just want a digital camera that feels like an analog SLR. And UNCRIPPLE the K-mount, please.
03-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #10

I'd like one as well!
But it would be expensive.
Pentax MX & Pentax DX
Sounds wonderfull.
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have been yearning for such a camera for some time. Will they build it...

Steve
03-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

It seems lots of people here would like to see something similar come on the market – a sturdy, full metal, analog SLR-like dSLR. I can say I'm one of them too. I wonder though if this is true for the average consumer? Won't they find the metal housing 'too heavy' perhaps, or maybe they prefer small plastic dials built into the body over big, sturdy metal dials on the top of the camera like most analog SLR's have? Also, I can imagine production costs going up, and thus of course the price won't be too mild, imho. This is quite relative though, if they succeed in building a solid metal dSLR like that, it's quite probable that it would (or should) last longer than current digital camera's. Like we still see perfectly working analog bodies on here, that are 30 years old or even more. (I wonder if a K20/10D will still work in 30-odd years or so? It might, because of the weather sealing, but might not due to technical improvements that have come available by then. Like SR has been introduced, for instance, and now is more than common) The problem then will be, Pentax might stop making money It's the same problem Belgian car-maker Minerva used to have in the day: they built their cars too well, consumers bought one and didn't need another one for the next 20 years or more, or hardly had to repair it, so to speak.
What I'm trying to say is, though this idea is very very appealing, to me as well, I doubt very much it will happen. These days I think we live in a disposable-society – meaning that many, if not most products we buy and use are not built to last forever, but to be replaced within a certain time-span to keep the economy running. Unfortunately.
03-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I, too, would dearly love a digital LX or MX. I don't see Pentax making a big enough ROI to consider it, though. Sigh...
03-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Me me me!!

It can have a cropped sensor, for all I care (I might actually be able to afford it this way). I'd want it to have full compatibility with the old manual K & M lenses, as opposed to having to use the green button like we do on our current DSLRs.

Basically, I'd want it to operate like the old-school manual bodies with the only real difference being that it has a digital sensor, as opposed to a film back. You really wouldn't need an LCD screen since everything you need would be handled by dials or buttons.

I'm keeping an eye on that little EVF body that Samsung is supposed to be coming out with, though.

Heather
03-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Me me me!!

Basically, I'd want it to operate like the old-school manual bodies with the only real difference being that it has a digital sensor, as opposed to a film back. You really wouldn't need an LCD screen since everything you need would be handled by dials or buttons.
I have been thinking about this concept quite a bit lately. Consider:
  • Modular design with upgradable backs
  • MF with AF available through an optional grip
  • Modal exposure options ("A" settings on both aperture ring and shutter speed dial)
  • Non-crippled KA mount
  • Off-sensor metering
  • Interchangeable finders
I guess that sounds more like an LX, but the idea is to get rid of the heavy, bulky, power-hungry AF; thus allowing for a smaller, lighter battery and a smaller, lighter camera.

Steve