Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Absence of ISO button

Hi All............(first post!)
I have owned a K10D for just over a year (first DSLR, previously used a Nikon F501 film) and have been playing with the settings to achieve the most reliable and quick response in everyday use, one of DP review's main criticisms on the KD10D was that there was no ISO button, and I agree that control over ISO is just as important as aperture and shutter speed.
In the custom menu there are numerous settings for e-dials and after a lot of playing around I have settled on:-
Option 4 - Aperture priority mode - Rear e-dial - aperture
Front e-dial - ISO
Option 4 - Shutter priority mode - Rear e-dial - ISO
Front e-dial - shutter speed
Exposure compensation is still easy to access with the +/- button and the front e-dial. I shoot 80% of the time in AP and 20% SP, but on both settings I can now see and adjust all three settings - aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
NO NEED FOR AN ISO BUTTON!
Please comment on this approach.
I have not seen a thread on this subject, but apologise if there is and I missed it.
PS I have spent many happy hours reading the Pentax forum threads (and Pentax UK too) - most informative - thanks guys........... JOHN

03-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums!!!

Push the OK button, use the dial wheel - instant ISO adjustment...

Cheers,
Marc
03-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if the K10D is the same, but on the K20D you can simply press and hold the OK button while turning the front e-dial to change ISO (p. 79 in K20D manual). That's about as dedicated an ISO button as you can get!
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I'm not sure if the K10D is the same, but on the K20D you can simply press and hold the OK button while turning the front e-dial to change ISO (p. 79 in K20D manual). That's about as dedicated an ISO button as you can get!
I don't think the K10D is the same as the K20D............but anyway, I have only to adjust the ISO with the e-dial.........NO buttons to press.

03-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager

Welcome John - the Aussies just keep coming.
Yep, Pentax had really thought things through in the development of the K10D - a lot of it was already there with the *ist D, but was a lot more refined, and then again with the K20D.

There are just so many options to customise how you want your camera to operate - just about any photographic feature is accessible within one or two clicks of a button...
03-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My original post was referring to the K10D I just tried it on...

The K10D and the K20D both utilize the OK button with the dial wheel (front) - they are alike in that respect.

Cheers,
Marc
03-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi John,

Welcome to the forums!!!

Push the OK button, use the dial wheel - instant ISO adjustment...

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc for the welcome - have been too shy to post before - but now the flood gates maybe open !!! I believe the K10D does NOT have the feature you mention - only the K20D. I don't often use Exposure compensation so don't need Option 1. I now have NO button to press, ONLY e-dial to adjust and I can see all three items in the LCD at once. ...John
03-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My original post was referring to the K10D I just tried it on...

The K10D and the K20D both utilize the OK button with the dial wheel (front) - they are alike in that respect.

Cheers,
Marc
Marc..........Because I set the e-dial to ISO on both AP and SP the OK dial method doesn't work !! One can use ISO on the e-dial OR the OK button method ........ not both......John

03-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager

Sure, ISO can be set in the front e-dial for Av and Tv modes, but it may also be handy to have the OK+dial ISO feature in M mode, where the front and rear e-dials are occupied...
03-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
For the K10D, the function is enabled with Firmware version 1.10 and above. Here is a section from the 1.10 firmware documentation:

"In any exposure mode except Sv and TAv, you can change your ISO setting with the front e-dial while pressing the OK button. The camera will display your ISO in the viewfinder and on the top LCD panel as you adjust your setting.

How to set:
- In P, Tv, Av, M, B, or X modes, press and hold the OK button.
- Next, use your front e-dial to adjust the ISO, seeing your selection in both the viewfinder and the top LCD panel.
- In P, TV, or Av modes, pressing the OK button with the green button places the camera in Auto ISO mode."

Paul
03-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Hi John,

Got it! I am referring to using the OK button on the defaults, such as in AV mode, M mode and a few others. It took me a second to realize you are referring to AP (aperture priority), which is AV on the dial.

Is there a specific reason you shoot with those setups instead of default? Just curious...

Regards,
Marc
03-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi John,

Got it! I am referring to using the OK button on the defaults, such as in AV mode, M mode and a few others. It took me a second to realize you are referring to AP (aperture priority), which is AV on the dial.

Is there a specific reason you shoot with those setups instead of default? Just curious...

Regards,
Marc
The default for the e-dial in AV mode - the front e-dial has no function. The default for the e-dial in TV mode - the rear e-dial has no function. I just thought that ISO is so important to me to control, I would use the OTHER e-dial for ISO and I can see it all the time.....,John
03-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sure, ISO can be set in the front e-dial for Av and Tv modes, but it may also be handy to have the OK+dial ISO feature in M mode, where the front and rear e-dials are occupied...
Hi there ASH............I have only occupied the two dials in Av mode and Tv mode..........in Manual I can still change the ISO by using the OK button and the front e-dial. Regards, John
03-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, in Av mode I change the aperture with the rear dial, +/- exposure with the front dial and ISO with the ok button and front dial. In Sv mode I change the shutter speed with the front dial, +/- exposure with the rear dial and ISO with the ok button and front dial and of course in manual it's shutter speed on front dial, aperture on rear dial and ISO still with the ok button and front dial. This way I don't have to find the little +/- button and hold it while turning the front dial to adjust the exposure. It's easier for me to use the ok button and front dial for the ISO. Besides I find that I adjust exposure more often than I adjust the ISO and this way it's just a simple turn of the dial away.
03-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
For what it's worth, in Av mode I change the aperture with the rear dial, +/- exposure with the front dial and ISO with the ok button and front dial. In Sv mode I change the shutter speed with the front dial, +/- exposure with the rear dial and ISO with the ok button and front dial and of course in manual it's shutter speed on front dial, aperture on rear dial and ISO still with the ok button and front dial. This way I don't have to find the little +/- button and hold it while turning the front dial to adjust the exposure. It's easier for me to use the ok button and front dial for the ISO. Besides I find that I adjust exposure more often than I adjust the ISO and this way it's just a simple turn of the dial away.
I used to do it that way too. But I find that I want to change the ISO more often than I want to modify the exposure, so I switched to the other method. Just a matter of personal preference I suppose. Pentax seem to cater for everyone !!!..............John