Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

prodigital or not? that is the question :)

i have purchased from prodigital but received the lens in its box with only a thin sheet of bubble wrapping inside a UPS plastic baggie it was for a DFA 100mm f2.8 macro for $320 total; it works fine ; i saved $$; but it was scary to see the banged up condition of the box when it arrived

I am looking for the another lens probably a DA*; it seems to be only a $100 difference bwt prodigital and B&H

is there any difference in warranties? I wondering if it it pays to invest the $100 for peace of mind that it gets delivered and safely; it seems that 2% of prodigi's orders get wacked or never sent or some other malady

any thoughts?

thanks

03-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've dealt with them in the past, and man they're hit-and-miss. My guess is that it's not so much that they're a bunch a pricks (I may be wrong), but they're so inundated with orders (look at the number of feedbacks), that people slip through the cracks every so often. And I think like ONE GUY is in charge of the entier Prodigital 2000 Ebay presence (which is an Ebay frontend to their brick&mortar shop, I guess, called Carman's Foto Source). So sometimes, communications could be non-existent.

They're the kind of reseller that I would love to avoid, but can't because of their great prices. Regarding warranty, I've purchased my K20D and my FA 31mm Limited from them (interestingly, both had to get serviced :-D ) them, and Pentax USA had no problem honoring the 1 year global warranty on all Pentax items.
03-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i've bought 3 lenses once and another 1 from them and they've been ok, but i'm in Ontario.
it's too cheap to ignore, but you have to be patient and their service is ok, give them a call if you have concerns about your order.
03-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Forum Member

I ordered my K20d and 43mm limited from them, and have had no problems. The 43mm did come packaged exactly as you described, but looked as if UPS had been extraordinarily careful with it! The camera came very adequately packaged in a brown cardboard box with pleanty of space filled with air bags.

Just to put the packaging into perspective, however, I need to also mention my experience with Amazon. My 16-50mm DA* came from them. It was put into a cardboard box with one small air bag. The outter box looked as if it had gotten the normal UPS treatment (used as a soccer ball). It had pleanty of room to bang around in there, but came through without a scratch. I was a little upset when I opened the box, but the inside box and lens were still perfect. I just wanted to tell this to illustrate that you can't even depend on the big names all of the time.

03-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Last year i bought a DA 300 from them and this year i bought a DA35 from them. both of these items were well padded when they arrived, very impressive.

Looks likes its hit more miss, perhaps the night shift, etc.
03-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have used them for a body (k200d), and was quite pleased
03-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've ordered a few lenses from then (12-24 and DA35). The packaging didn't look too good, but both lenses arrived safely. I'm starting to think that perhaps we tend to overpack when we ship lenses. Maybe a layer of bubble wrap is all we need...

03-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have recently purchased a lens from them, it came in a box with a layer of bubbles protecting it. The box was in a good shape when the UPS guy handed it to me. I ordered stuff from Adorama and B&H before and I didn't notice any difference. May be it depends on the person who prepared the packaging on a given day.

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-08-2010 at 11:01 AM.
03-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have purchased a few lenses through ProDigital2000 and my only complaint is that they really have a weird/crappy return system if you need to return an item. I'm thinking this only applies to those who are not in Canada. I bought my 77mm LTD from them. I ordered a silver one and received a black one. They had no problem correcting the mistake but I would have to return the lens USPS uninsured and untrackable (Express mail small box rate). I really didnt care about the color mixup and I didnt feel comfortable returning anything without a tracking number so I kept the lens. To their credit, I asked and they did give me free shipping on another item as compensation for the mixup