Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 04:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had no "problems" particularly, more irritants. Seems each time my camera bag goes thru x-ray they back it up and run it thru again for a second look. This takes time of course and holds up the line. One time they asked me to open it and they wanded it for explosives. Good thing I use a different bag for my camera than I use for my shooting range gear.

Mike

03-21-2009, 04:41 AM   #17
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Never had any problems. Maybe it's because I'm sitting in the front seat.
Wow, the tickets must cost a fortune!

Seriously, have you taken a lot of photos from the cockpit? What does the world look from there?
03-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Wow, the tickets must cost a fortune!
Seriously, have you taken a lot of photos from the cockpit? What does the world look from there?
Here are a few pictures taken at about 1500 ft. Sorry for the quality, those are quick scan of pictures taken with a Nikon F3 (shame on me).Picasa Web Albums - Yves - Ile-aux-Coudres
03-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't had any problems. The first time I flew after the new rules went into effect after 9/11 I asked the airline people and they told me they prefer things like cameras and laptops to be carried by the passenger and not put in the checked in luggage because of claims for lost and stolen items.

03-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never a problem... it's common enough they just do a critical check on X-Ray machine, but I've bringing bringing lots of equipment through without any issue.

However, I always take out my spare external hard drives (enclosure or not) in addition to the laptop. No questions or re-scanning of my gear has ever happened since the first time they asked me to do it.

Note: Make sure all batteries are stored in a container or cover the ends. Check TSA's site for the details.
03-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #21
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No problems domestically

Twice a month I am on a flight west coast USA never a problem. Several lenses and one body (K20D) with laptop.

I enjoyed the info regarding Amtrak trains, buy ticket and bring the camera.
03-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I just returned this morning at 5:30am (I actually don't mind the redeye flights), from San Diego. I carried my K100D + 4 lens, battery charger, extra eneloops, and assorted cards in a LowPro 200 slingshot bag and had not problems leaving Washington (Dulles), or San Diego.

03-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #23

I always get stopped/searched/frisked/swabbed for explosives by US customs - they are obviously picking up on my 'International Man of Mystery' aura, but I haven't taken my camera overseas yet so I don't know if it'll make it any worse. I have been stopped on the London underground by the police and searched because I was carrying my Slingshot 200 - that was slightly worrying because it was only one stop away from Stockwell and I bear more than a passing resemblance to Jean Charles de Menezes (that will mean nothing to the non-UK forumites, let's just say I was glad they kept their weapons holstered).
03-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #24
Forum Member

Rest easy. I returned 5 days ago from a trip to Peru. Absolutely no problems coming or going.
03-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Done a few overseas trips lately and no issues. Last one I carried two bodies and four lenses.
03-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Back in 2005, I took an Amtrak from Pittsburgh, PA to Richmond, VA. I had a suitcase, plus a big camera camera bag plus a tripod bag. They didn't look at anything. I was in shock! I could have brought all kinds of guns and explosives and they wouldn't have known the difference. I guess they assumed that Terrorists were after the planes and not trains. I would have felt better if they would have looked at something.... anything.....
03-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #27
Inactive Account

no problems domestic or international with full camera backpack.

they actually tell you to take expensive items like laptops and DSLRs as carry on.
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

No issues travelling domestically. I went to Melbourne & back in 2006 with no problems (besides jet lag).
03-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Never had a problem going to or coming from the US.
What they usually look for are loose batteries (AAA or AA, etc).
If you have them in the camera, battery grip or battery cases, then it's of no problem.
The battery contacts should be insulated or taped or covered (if loose).
03-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #30

Never, and I have flown throughout the United States through the smallest (Scottsbluff, NE) and largest (O'Hare, Hartzfield, LaGuardia, etc.) airports. I've never had a bag searched or rescreened.