Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #1

DSLRs and American airport security?

Saw this post over at The Online Photographer this morning, and it got me thinking, given the current paranoid climate... anyone here had trouble with taking a DSLR through American airport security? Any tips & tricks to share?

I'm a new K200D owner and have got air travel coming up...

Thanks,

Reid

03-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never had a problem, even when carrying a good load of equipment in my carry-on.
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Same here. Never had a problem.
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Never had any problems. Maybe it's because I'm sitting in the front seat.

03-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My last trip to the U.S.A. was in may 2007, and I didn't have any problem carrying my Lowepro Slingshot 200 with me.

Since then, I've been to Portugal once and Mexico twice, without a hitch as well. No one even asked me to open the bag or turn on the camera to make sure it was working.
03-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

One more data point for ya here - I flew commercially about once a week last summer, and TSA never took a second glance at my pack with six+ lenses and wires, chargers, ipods, more wires, books etc...

Strangely, they inspected my flight helmet bag about four times .
03-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nah, the only real difficulty I've had was with some *film* I intended to push and had to let them irradiate, rather than hold up the line while giving a young inspector a photography lesson. Usually, as long as you make it easy for them to do their jobs and keep the line moving, they'll hardly go out of their way to hassle you.

Actually, I don't get the impression antisocial types who might enjoy giving someone a hard time last at that job: TSA types I've met have been almost unfailingly-nice folks. Maybe sometimes a little stressed-out, but hey.

03-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
eclipsed450

no problems here, and i even had this (self-made wired remote) in my carry-on bag:
03-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've travelled back and forth from Germany each of the last 3 years. I carried the camera in a backpack along with my laptop. On 2 of the 3 trips, I was pulled over to the side so they could go through my bag. They just took a quick look and that was it.

In Germany I got stopped all 3 times (twice on the 2nd trip). Airport security in Frankfurt is second to none...
03-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've traveled both within the U.S. and to Mexico and have never had a problem bringing my camera along.
03-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #11

No problems so far here, last trip was to Vancouver BC last summer for a cruise, had the K100 and half a dozen or so lenses in my carryon, nobody ever looked twice at it.
03-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like photographing in airports haven't had problems yet even when shooting at security
03-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
One more data point for ya here - I flew commercially about once a week last summer, and TSA never took a second glance at my pack with six+ lenses and wires, chargers, ipods, more wires, books etc...

Strangely, they inspected my flight helmet bag about four times .
Helmet would be more useful to a hijacker than a camera Josh.
03-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
In Germany I got stopped all 3 times (twice on the 2nd trip). Airport security in Frankfurt is second to none...
My experience differs from yours Alan. We flew back from Istanbul via Frankfurt the week that the infamous liquid ban came in to force.
We got off the plane and then joined a huge line that led to the new security checkpoint to International departures. We reached the checkpoint and expected some questioning because we had a very large hookah, which they took away to test but that turned out to be no hassle.
My carry on bag was searched first. I remembered that I had bought two souvenir lighters from Istanbul airport and forgot to put them in my checked luggage. They had the Turkish flag on them. The Security woman looked at them, then she tapped her colleague on the shoulder to look at them. They both smiled and indicated that they liked them and put them back in my bag.
My wife Jess had her bag searched next, they found a Sharpie (marker pen) and confiscated it.
Go figure.
03-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have brought my K100D all over the place domestically without any issues. The only international trip I took with it was to Israel and again no issues. I have even taken photos with my K100D inside the airport and no one looked twice at me.