Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Street Photography-Photographing the street photographer?

More or less i am guessing that everyone in one occassion or another has been snapped by street photographer. Chances are these said photographers would then use the photos either for exhibition and possible sales.

now imagine this scenario...after being snapped by the photographer, you take out your own camera and then snap the photographer back plus a few more shots of the photographer street actions.

just to ask, has anyone ever done the scenario above?

03-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Actually, I've had it done to me a couple of times while shooting street scenes around Seattle!
03-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have done that just to Irk the other "street" photographer...besides the idiot was using a 5d with a big white canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS...and I was using my Hexar RF with a 50mm f/2 Hexanon which would have easily been a quarter the size and mass of the canon camera. 50mm lenses are the longest lenses I ever use for street photography. Herni cartier Bresson used fast 50's for 99.9% of his work.
03-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
More or less i am guessing that everyone in one occassion or another has been snapped by street photographer. Chances are these said photographers would then use the photos either for exhibition and possible sales.

now imagine this scenario...after being snapped by the photographer, you take out your own camera and then snap the photographer back plus a few more shots of the photographer street actions.

just to ask, has anyone ever done the scenario above?
Kind of a strange feeling....

Attached Images

03-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Banned

yes, actually. on st. patricks day, I was on the side streets here in savannah making my way through the crowds of people when I came across a guy wearing a sign and using a bull horn to preach the word of god. needless to say being a 'street' photographer myself I relished in taking some shots of him in action. I ran out of film right when this older gentlemen came up with a hasselblad and took some shots of me reloading film and then proceeding to take some more photos of the guy who was by that time trying to ignore someone questioning what he was trying to accomplish. so I returned the favor and snapped a few of him. he mostly ignored me though, didn't even give me a smile.... unfortunately I (due to lack of sleep I suppose) forgot that my lightmeter had the high slide in and I was reading it from the regular scale.... all of the photos are too overexposed for any real use. I didn't realize I was reading the wrong scale for about 2 hours, and 4 rolls of film. :ugh:
03-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one: (Actually, I goofed and didn't put up a cropped version: I was photographing some interesting-looking folks closer to me when I spotted this fellow: apparently he was drawn to consider me among them. Anyway, I had a 28 mounted, so it looks a little better tightened up a tad. I'll see if I can just crop in the Photobucket editor, only thing is, that tends to jam up my browser. ....edit: Ok, distractions cropped... What a vague editor. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-22-2009 at 06:36 PM.
03-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It is a good feeling to get noticed. Self Diagnosed "Attention deficit disorder"?

I do have a gallery of photographers being caught on my camera but I cannot find them in my sea of photos.

Here is my friend Darren's collection of "photographers caught on camera".

People Like Me
03-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Chances are these said photographers would then use the photos either for exhibition and possible sales.
I'm not sure about that.

I don't know if i would call them 'street photographers', but it can get pretty out of hand here in China. Once the Chinese tourists have their camera out, any white person is fair game. There are two towns that come to mind where it was absolutely rife. On a few occasions i whipped out my camera just because i was being photographed at point blank range. Two can bloody play at that game! Problem was that by the time the shot was ready to be taken there would be a flurry of fingers forming peace signs! Good grief! I am yet to understand the Chinese ritual of throwing a peace sign up for a photo.

I snapped this fella shooting with a Canon the other day and didn't mind in the slightest.. even got a smile and a nod!

03-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Good grief! I am yet to understand the Chinese ritual of throwing a peace sign up for a photo.
id say that is a common trait with the youth of most Asian countries, its just as insanely popular in Korea and Japan as well.
03-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It's actually the two finger technique to poke your eyes out if you got any closer, it's a built-in DNA thing.

03-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I'm not sure about that.

I don't know if i would call them 'street photographers', but it can get pretty out of hand here in China. Once the Chinese tourists have their camera out, any white person is fair game. There are two towns that come to mind where it was absolutely rife. On a few occasions i whipped out my camera just because i was being photographed at point blank range. Two can bloody play at that game! Problem was that by the time the shot was ready to be taken there would be a flurry of fingers forming peace signs! Good grief! I am yet to understand the Chinese ritual of throwing a peace sign up for a photo.

I snapped this fella shooting with a Canon the other day and didn't mind in the slightest.. even got a smile and a nod!
Hee, well, though a lot of photo types are camera-shy, ourselves, (I'm really not good about this, myself) turnabout's fair play. Actually, ended up having a little conversation with the fellow above, nice fellow.

The peace sign thing (or otherwise goofing around) used to be real common in America, actually ...one reason I prefer to keep a winder on the camera, you just go ahead and shoot, they hear the noise and think you're done, then you get the followup shot when they relax.