Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 03:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Bubble seems to merge the Flickr social structure with the commercial aspects of other sites.

You've done a nice job with both of your sites!

D.

03-29-2009, 04:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Hah, funny - I think the same thing about zenfolio sites ... Smugmug is very customizable. You can modify the CSS, HTML, add Javascript etc... I'm not much of a web coder (or any sort of coder anymore), but I can cut and paste with the best of 'em (well... maybe not the best...)

Take a look at my site to see what I've kludged together. There's a lot which could be better but I'm not a designer either...
Heliphoto, your photos stand on their own, so the gallery pretty much becomes irrelevant. Your technique is great and I like the moodiness you bring to a lot of images, especially the landscapes.

My photos need a lot more propping up from my gallery environment!

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I think as someone mentioned, zenfolio is better at grouping photos flexibly - in smugmug you have to use keywords to group photos from different galleries together (ie to display all your B&W together if it's all spread through different galleries). You can create links to display specific keywords - see my "favorites" link to see what I mean.

Smugmug works on mobile devices, but I haven't used it much this way, so I can't really say how quick or compliant it is. Smugmug takes uploads as fast as I can send 'em (1 MB/s - over wireless - I live in the boonies). As for page load speed, I know smugmug started using Akamai to do their thing (local caching I think?) and speeds went up when that started.
Good to know these points and differences. I like how SmugMug offers the viewer a drop-down layout menu.

On my slow connection, various SmugMug galleries seem to load faster than Zenfolio ones.

I'm going to take a closer look at SmugMug and try out the free trial.