Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 03:30 AM   #16
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fife, Scotland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10
Brilliant tool. I was just about to post here bemoaning the fact that all my modern lenses seem to lack a hyperfocal scale when I fell upon this. Many thanks.

04-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: southwestern Maine
Posts: 25
bet you could make some cash if you could create an iPhone app for this
04-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,637
Original Poster
I have toyed with the idea of making it into an AdobeAIR app. I think to go and learn yet another programming tech would require some motivation by people requesting it. hehe
04-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #19
jem
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 217
Hi Jim,

Terrific utility! Would you consider adding HFOV & VFOV? I find these terms useful at work and I thought I might use your spreadsheet there. I would add it to my copy but then I would be out of sync if you rev it again. Thanks for your time!

Best,
John

04-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,680
this may seem a little over the top, but why not add the following.

you show the area (for example at 10 feet) which I assume is really meant to be the area for the case where subject distance is much greater than focal lenght (much greater usually means an order of magnitude or more). I have no problem with this, and my first suggestion is to add one more line to the calculations. the area (in either square inches or mm) of one pixel on the sensor. Also you could put the linear distance between pixels. Therefore you would need to have the sensor size also (6.1, 10. or 14 MP)

These points althoug simple would allow people to appreciate the ultimate resolution of the system.

Another simple but not related to FOV calculation you could do is to have an image size calculator

image size = subject size * focal length / distance.

people often forget this when shooting with long tele's
04-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,276
As you neared completion of this great resource, did you find that you needed to increase the volume and frequency of the machine that goes PING? That seemed to be an important factor for the Pythons when they used the early versions of the PING machine.
Nice work...
04-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 730
Thanks

Thank you, Jim.

Great work. We need more people like you.
04-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,637
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
this may seem a little over the top, but why not add the following.

you show the area (for example at 10 feet) which I assume is really meant to be the area for the case where subject distance is much greater than focal lenght (much greater usually means an order of magnitude or more). I have no problem with this, and my first suggestion is to add one more line to the calculations. the area (in either square inches or mm) of one pixel on the sensor. Also you could put the linear distance between pixels. Therefore you would need to have the sensor size also (6.1, 10. or 14 MP)

These points althoug simple would allow people to appreciate the ultimate resolution of the system.
Lowell, correct me if I'm wrong but you'd need to have the full sensor specs in order to do those resolution calculations "accurately"? You would need the actual size of each pixel as simple resolution (pixel count) wouldn't quite get you there. I'm also not sure how to relate that to the film columns.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Another simple but not related to FOV calculation you could do is to have an image size calculator

image size = subject size * focal length / distance.

people often forget this when shooting with long tele's
Not sure what you're asking for here. The FRAME SIZE row tells you how big a subject will fit in your frame at a given distance, and the IMAGE SCALE tells gives you the ratio of image to FOV - but it seems you're after something different?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
As you neared completion of this great resource, did you find that you needed to increase the volume and frequency of the machine that goes PING? That seemed to be an important factor for the Pythons when they used the early versions of the PING machine.
Nice work...
Ron, you will have to submit requisition form BA-1100-N in triplicate to the Department of Redundancy Dept. for that information; you'll need to have a valid ID-10T card as well.

And thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Thank you, Jim.

Great work. We need more people like you.
You're most welcome, Herman!

04-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,680
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Lowell, correct me if I'm wrong but you'd need to have the full sensor specs in order to do those resolution calculations "accurately"? You would need the actual size of each pixel as simple resolution (pixel count) wouldn't quite get you there. I'm also not sure how to relate that to the film columns.
this may be correct, but it would be useful to show the size of a pixel (based upon the pitch) so that people start thinking in terms of the smallest resolvable object is. Specifically that you can't read a 2 inch high letter if a pixel is 4 inches square
QuoteQuote:
Not sure what you're asking for here. The FRAME SIZE row tells you how big a subject will fit in your frame at a given distance, and the IMAGE SCALE tells gives you the ratio of image to FOV - but it seems you're after something different?
i am looking for the inverse, not how big a subject fills your frame, but how big an image is in your frame, let's perhaps present it a different way, magnification ratio, not size. that way, at 10 feet with a 200mm lens you know the 4 inch (100mm) bird you are photographing is only 1.33mm high on the sensor
11-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
Forum Member
wtf_cowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, Tx
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 52
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Ron, you will have to submit requisition form BA-1100-N in triplicate to the Department of Redundancy Dept. for that information; you'll need to have a valid ID-10T card as well.
I just died of laughter...
...also, great tool.
05-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #26
New Member




Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Dear Jim, I can't find your attachement on the forum - the nice spreadsheet. Am I blend? :-) . Can You help me please? Pivous.
05-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #27
JHD
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,406
QuoteOriginally posted by pivous Quote
Dear Jim, I can't find your attachement on the forum - the nice spreadsheet. Am I...
...blind? Same here.
05-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #28
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 40,135
QuoteOriginally posted by pivous Quote
Dear Jim, I can't find your attachement on the forum - the nice spreadsheet.
Not just me then.

I feel reassured now.
05-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,637
Original Poster
Whoops. I was housecleaning my old attachments and I dropped that one too. I've reattached the original version plus the English Measurements only version I use currently (added 645D sensor specs).
05-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #30
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,680
In looking at the data inout a little more, there is one other thing I think shoud be put there, but it is not at present.

you are using the CofC considering printing, I assume, to an 8 x 10 print. You may wish to add either an elnargement ratio from 8X10 or final print size, because DOF changes with print size also.

I would suggest a print scale factor based upon 8 x 10 is 1:1
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, camera and lens, distance, field, formats, internet, lens, photography, spreadsheet, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How bad if fungus on a lens? Easy to remove? shaolin95 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 08-31-2012 07:42 AM
Any Math people? Fl_Gulfer General Talk 3 11-11-2009 12:08 PM
Dismantling a lens - easy? ViS Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 12-02-2008 06:26 AM
I hate math, so help me.... Buddha Jones Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 04-22-2008 08:11 AM
How to do the math for a closeup lens? raider Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 03-11-2008 05:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top