Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #1

Building Shoot - Advice sought

My church is looking for an updated picture of our building to use on their website and printed materials.

The request is for an updated picture(s) that demphasizes the old sanctuary (right side of pic below) and places more emphasis on the other parts of the building and especially emphasizes the main entrance (dark hole in the middle left).

This is an example pic of the church structure from the south. Nothing special.

Generally I shoot people - sports, kids in actions, portraits, etc. I've been walking around this side of the structure at different times of the day trying different focal lengths. But nothing has struck me as being outstanding yet... And I've no idea how to light up the dark hole of an entrance. I haven't tried stitching pics together yet. I've mostly been using a 16-50 for this task.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
Roger Hayslip

03-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roger.hayslip Quote
My church is looking for an updated picture of our building to use on their website and printed materials.

The request is for an updated picture(s) that demphasizes the old sanctuary (right side of pic below) and places more emphasis on the other parts of the building and especially emphasizes the main entrance (dark hole in the middle left).

This is an example pic of the church structure from the south. Nothing special.

Generally I shoot people - sports, kids in actions, portraits, etc. I've been walking around this side of the structure at different times of the day trying different focal lengths. But nothing has struck me as being outstanding yet... And I've no idea how to light up the dark hole of an entrance. I haven't tried stitching pics together yet. I've mostly been using a 16-50 for this task.

--
Roger Hayslip
I found when I was shooting before and afters for a siding company that often the best shots were accomplished right around sunset or sunrise, depending on which way the building was facing.
I think this is still the best method, as it involves the least amount of post processing.
With the possibilities that digital opens up you could wait for a heavily overcast day to even out the lighting as much as possible, and illuminate the entrance way, either with strobe or even just turning on whatever lights there are.

Then in post processing you can massage the picture to bring the building back to life, and if you are really good, put a nice sky in the picture to replace the drab overcast one.
03-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would take Wheatfield's suggestion about time of day and add that if the entrance still looks dark and forboding, you may want to hide a remotely-triggered flash in there on low power to bring it up.
03-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*headscratching.* They want to *emphasize* that back end? I don't suppose there's any more-flattering distant views?

Kind of a tall order, I think. I don't think the building was really designed to be viewed the way they seem to be asking. I would try getting distance: if you try wide-angle closer to that big white addition, it'll look like a featureless monstrosity.

With some range and a longer lens you could put all those features together and maybe de-emphasize all the asphalt of the parking lot.

Agreed that there's probably a use of fill needed in that entry, if they want it emphasized. First thought I had was a night shot on 'Bulb' with a manual flash: walk around and hit your areas with a pop or two, depending on emphasis and what ought to look good, (A Vivitar 285 is good for this, though it's a white building, so you'll have to be on your game)

Easier: Choose a lower-lighting condition. Dawn, sunset, whatever looks good. I bet there's an overhead light in that entryway. Replace it with like a floodlight bulb.

Also, walk around. Don't feel constrained by a notion of framing around that big addition, there. Sometimes less is more, and you only need to *imply* it's there. (obviously with emphasis, as your 'client' requested. ) It's not actually much to look at, though. You can get the idea without showing it all the way back to the back corner, so leave that option open. Walk around and do some studies.

03-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Some good suggestions so far and I share the opinion that the addition is the least interesting part of the building. My first thoughts were definitely walk around and the rest of Ratmagiclady's suggstions. Try different lenses if you have them and try a higher perspective. A higher elevation with a long lens for instance or even climb onto the hood of your car or bed of your truck. A lot of times I carry a step ladder for just that purpose. It's amazing what getting away from our typical visual perspective can do for our photos.

My other suggestion is shoot it during services. IMO, the lot should be full of cars and folks coming or going. It looks like you'll have to light the entrance unless you fill the frame with it. Either way, shoot it with people lined up to get in and some kids.

hth and GL
03-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roger.hayslip Quote
-snip And I've no idea how to light up the dark hole of an entrance. I haven't tried stitching pics together yet.

--
Roger Hayslip -/snip
Oh yeah, MagLites and ducktape
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
What -- are you suggesting that the OP pass up the chance to accessorize his gear bag with wireless triggers and such. What's the world coming to?

03-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote

Now that's funny!!

I do have a spotlight...
03-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks all for the great suggestions. You've given me a lot of good ideas to think about and things to try.
03-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
shoot a 5 shot 1 ev bracketed hdri and stich it together. Its really freaken easy with photoshop.

Just open all the photos, then do file, automate, merge to hdr.
03-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Using a wide angle up close would give you soemthing dynamic making the new structure seem larger while making the old sanctuary secondary. Similar to this where the 4X tall city hall appears 1/2 as large. Though it would obscure the actual door way now that I think about it. Its a shame they don;t want to promote the "prettier" structure.....