Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Questions on studio compatibility with Pentax. Help

I will start off saying I know NOTHING about working with artificial lighting.

I have questions for those who work in the studio with artificial lighting and there Pentax gear.

My main concern is the compatibility of Pentax gear with studio lighting. I am enrolled in a photography class right now but we are working with film only right now. As time progress we will work more with digital and studio lighting. I am not sure how the class studio is setup like what brands/type of lighting that it uses.

In general are studio lights propitiatory? What I mean is will the lights only work with the big two canon and nikon? I am not sure what is involved with triggering the flash and other lights. I would like to stick to Pentax without changing system while still able to use the studio setup at school to learn.

03-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Studio lights are definitely non proprietary.
The "big two" are not as important as people would like to think.
In the studio, the "big two" are still Hasselblad and Mamiya, I expect, with Pentax 6x7 and large format still important to people who need better quality than small format digital can muster.

Anyway, studio lights generally hook up to the camera or trigger via a PC cord. If you have a K20, you can plug in directly via the camera socket, if not, do yourself a favour and pick up a Wein or similar hot shoe adapter that will control the trigger voltage from the strobe.
Alternately, a lot of studios have gone wireless.
We use Pocket Wizards at the studio I am at, they seem very reliable, and are fast enough that you can shoot at sync.
In this instance, you put one unit on your camera's hot shoe, and the other one is attached to the power pack via PC cord.
03-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Studio flash is camera neutral. Most studio strobes are designed to be used manually, aka you set the lights for a given exposure and shoot in manual. The only drawback to Pentax DSLRs is that most do not have an X socket. This is only a problem though if you are using a sync cord to fire the flashes. If you are using something like Pocket Wizards or any of the other flavors of radio triggers your regular flash hotshoe treats them just like they would a shoe-mounted flash, absent the P-TTL or other TTL capabilities.

I believe that there are ways to do TTL metering with studio lighting but it is hardly necessary since the lighting isnt generally changing from shot to shot.

Mike
03-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
(snip) My main concern is the compatibility of Pentax gear with studio lighting. I am enrolled in a photography class right now but we are working with film only right now. As time progress we will work more with digital and studio lighting. I am not sure how the class studio is setup like what brands/type of lighting that it uses. (snip)

Wheatfield and MRRiley are both correct about hotshoe adapters and wireless triggers, but that isn't going to help much with the studio lighting in your class. What you need to do (in advance) is find out exactly what is used to trigger the lights in that classroom. The best way to do that is to stop by the classroom with your Pentax (between classes or after hours) and ask the instructor if your camera is compatible with whatever device is being used to trigger the lights.

If the class will be using a wireless setup, will the triggering device provided fit your camera's hotshoe and trigger the lights? If the class will be using a wired setup, will the hot shoe adapter provided fit your Pentax? If not, you'll need to purchase the hotshoe adapter (with x-sync socket) or wireless triggering device (the compatible transmitter for your camera) yourself. This is why you need to check this out in advance.

With the necessary triggering device attached, there is no reason whatsoever why your Pentax wouldn't be sufficient for the class. The studio strobes themselves are manual devices (no TTL automation), so any camera with a manual mode (you set shutter speed, aperture, and other settings) will work in that regard.

One further note, since the classroom will likely be Canon and Nikon centric, you'll need to study up on your camera's manual mode before attending the class (don't expect the instructor to know anything specific about your camera). Also make sure to bring your owners manual to the classroom in case the instructor must refer to it when answering any questions you might have.

stewart

By the way, since both Wheatfield and MRRiley mentioned the Pocket Wizards, let me add a plug for my favorite wireless triggers. My studio uses the Elinchrom EL-Skyport universal radio slave set, which is much cheaper than Pocket Wizards and just as reliable (made by a major studio strobe manufacturer). And, like the Pocket Wizards, this particular Elinchrom radio slave set will work with any studio strobes.

03-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
The only drawback to Pentax DSLRs is that most do not have an X socket.
Mike
Hey, I was really pleased that one *does.* And not even over a thousand dollars for it. Little things we used to take for granted.

Oh, yeah, though, as for the class: it shouldn't be difficult here. Be familiar with your camera's operation so you can concentrate on learning about the *lighting.* I haven't actually used so much as a reflector with my K20d, but it seems Pentax actually has been making things with much studio niceness. I think the last time I shot under proper studio conditions, it was with like a Mamiya TLR, or some such. (someone else's stuff) Get the lighting right, expose properly.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-25-2009 at 10:23 AM.
03-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, I was really pleased that one *does.* And not even over a thousand dollars for it. Little things we used to take for granted.
And oddly enough, I don't even use it w/ studio lighting. I use it w/ a big Metz hammerhead flash
I've been in one meetup/workshop so far...they just use wireless triggers (skyports and fleabay triggers which I also have). Long PC sync cords are just sooooo 80s
03-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
And oddly enough, I don't even use it w/ studio lighting. I use it w/ a big Metz hammerhead flash
I've been in one meetup/workshop so far...they just use wireless triggers (skyports and fleabay triggers which I also have). Long PC sync cords are just sooooo 80s
This newfangled wireless is neat, and I can see the use of it, but is it really the *same* without a springy phone-cord on it? My arm only goes so far, anyway.

03-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
This newfangled wireless is neat, and I can see the use of it, but is it really the *same* without a springy phone-cord on it? My arm only goes so far, anyway.

I love wireless triggers. No more misfires because a cord has fallen out when it shouldn't have, no more busted ends and PC sockets from a cord that didn't fall out when it should have, no more getting the camera snapped out of my hands when I've forgotten where my power pack is.
Wireless is good.
03-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Long PC sync cords are just sooooo 80s
Which reminds me - I should probably think about throwing out that box of blue-dot flashbulbs now...
03-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The biggest difference that you'll see is that your max sync speed is only 1/180, and the flash will not trigger above that shutter speed. Some other cameras can trigger above their sync speed.

The max sync speed isn't a huge deal since 1/180 is only half a stop slower than 1/250 that is common on other brands.
03-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Which reminds me - I should probably think about throwing out that box of blue-dot flashbulbs now...
Those wouldn't happen to fit a Hawkeye Brownie Flash would they?
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
The biggest difference that you'll see is that your max sync speed is only 1/180, and the flash will not trigger above that shutter speed. Some other cameras can trigger above their sync speed.

The max sync speed isn't a huge deal since 1/180 is only half a stop slower than 1/250 that is common on other brands.
Speaking of the 80's. 'Only' 1/180?

(without special electronic compensation.)

Whattya want, a leaf shutter?
03-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Besides the PW and Elinchrome remote triggers already mentioned a very affordable option is Paul C. Buff's Cybersync transmitters and receivers. These are what I use with my studio lights (Alien Bee 800s) but they will work with any brand of lights that have a standard or mini phone jack. (or other jacks using common adapters).

Stewart is right on the nose too. You need to contact the instructor and find out what their setup is. Don't spend any money on equipment until you know what you'll need.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 03-25-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo
03-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow thanks a lot everyone I didn't expect this much feedback in such short time.

So in short, I wouldn't have any problems with my K20D or future Pentax for the class. I may have to buy my own adapter/trigger. That sounds fine with me.

I won't be working with studio light until next semester. I was just thinking ahead in case I need to switch brand or to pick up a used canon/nikon for the class.

Thanks again everyone, I feel a lot better now that I won't have to switch system for the class.
03-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote

I won't be working with studio light until next semester. I was just thinking ahead in case I need to switch brand or to pick up a used canon/nikon for the class.
What a question for a new kid to have to ask. Shame on the gearheads, and any manufacturers giving that impression.

You're fine, as long as the voltage is safe, Akuma.