Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Day trip to phily- please help

Hi there

My GF and I really want to do a day trip to Philly this coming Saturday.

If possible we would love to have a guide or some help with the history sites.

Also we would love to see the Amish country.

and goes with out saying I would love to use my Pentax

Any one for philly or done some thing like that before and could give me some tips about what is the best way to go

Thanks!!

03-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If you're only coming for one day, I'd suggest you start at the visitor center in the historic district. Visit Independence Hall | Visit Philadelphia | Philadelphia Tours | Philadelphia Official Visitor Center | Independence Visitor Center This will give you a good idea of what to see and do in this part of town. Other choices include the Art Museum, Reading Terminal Market, and the Franklin Institute. Amish country is pretty far out (about a 2 hour drive), so I would concentrate on the city. There's lots to do and see and some great food as well. Enjoy your visit.
03-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much

any suggestion for the Best place for Philly Cheese Steak?

also what we must not miss

Thanks
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pats and genos are right there by each other and are the two prominent favorites. i prefer jims on south street, or larry's (not great, but i went to saint joes so i have a soft spot for it). there are a few others...one in reading terminal which i cannot recall.....

boathouse row/art museum, especially at night when lit, should not be missed

03-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #5

lick the liberty bell?
have fun, and report back. I would like to make a trip up there later this spring as well.
03-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For photography, the Reading terminal is a great spot - it is an indoor mall full of stalls selling food stuffs. Not a long walk from Independence Mall, on Market st towards City Hall. In the other direction there's old city, places Ben Franklin used to haunt, good restaurants, and the river - lots of people and some nice old ships. South Street is nearby - that's where the hippies meet and the location of a couple of the famous cheese stake places.

BTW, you'll see the Amish at the Reading market.

The Art Museum's a good visit, they have a great Dada collection... and right past it, follow the Wissahickon / Schuykill expressway Fairmount park and some nice old towns. If weather and time permit, I have great memories of Valley Forge, but haven't been there in nearly 40 years.
03-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Amish country is intense, but isn't that a bit of a drive from Philadelphia? It's in Lancaster, PA.

I was there a few times when I lived in NY, and it's really interesting photographically. There's also an inexpensive tourist train, goes for maybe an hour or so, which goes through the Amish farms. Open sides (no windows), so PERFECT for photos, except you're shooting from a moving train.

What makes Amish country so fascinating is the fact that the majority are basically "just" Menninites, so you'll walk into Pizza Hut and see a teenage girl dressed in the garb taking out a pie, and she's wearing Adidas and then gets into her SUV.

In other words, the juxtaposition is fascinating, and it makes for some really interesting photos. Everyone expects all of the "Amish" in the area to look and behave the same, but they run the entire spectrum of religious belief and customs.
03-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Take a look at the pictures on this web site for some inspiration: MICHAEL PENN PHOTOGRAPHY

03-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also Penn's landing/Columbus Blvd. if you're interested in any shots of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge. Eastern State Penitentiary ESP :: Eastern State Penitentiary Website is another place I hear is great for photographers. Everything mentioned here so far is all pretty close to each other if traveling by car (but parkings a bitch and expensive), much less so if you plan to be on foot all day.
03-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yep, "Amish (or Dutch) Country" is a bit of a drive from Philadelphia, about 1'20" on the Turnpike and then down Route 222 would be your best bet to find "Plain folk" in Lancaster and Lebanon counties. Head out on the back roads and you're bound to see something. If you like rural scenes there are still parts of the county where you can catch acres of wonderfully dark, productive soil. New Holland, Ephrata (an old Cloister is there), Bird-in-Hand, Paradise, and Intercourse, are some towns to check out as well.

Check into the market days since there tends to be a lot of activity, Tuesdays are good for Roots Market , Friday is Green Dragon, and Central Market is Tuesdays and Fridays (I think).

There's some info I remember from my 20 odd years living in the area.
03-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you so so much

you been so helpful.

This IS the GREATEST forum on the web today!
03-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
any suggestion for the Best place for Philly Cheese Steak?
If you use the "search" function at roadfood.com you'll find a lot of info about eating in Philadelphia.

Brad