Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
eyes

how do you shoot eyes? Do you need a studio type setup with large lights and what not? I like really clear, striking eyes, i've looked at some photoshop techniques but I know there is more to it and would rather rely on photographic technique than post processing.

I've never really shot people and have no experience with lighting setups, I'm either a full light or long exposure photographer so this is new territory to me. Don't hold back on any details! I love to learn as much as I can. I want to know what makes eyes bold and spectacular, is it lots of light and a fast shutter speed? That was my guess but I really have no clue.

03-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need a studio setup to take pictures of eyes. Having a lens that can focus closely is far more useful. I took pictures of a friend's eye recently and I used my 16-45 with a 10x close-up filter on it.

I used a flash off to the side to highlight the iris variations. If you don't have a flash that you can fire off camera, a desk lamp at about 45 degrees to the eye will help.
03-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would say that photographic technique and postprocessing go hand in hand in order to make the most of a portrait.

Off-camera flash is, imho, an important ingredient in making a good portrait. I like to place the flash at about a 45 degree angle to the subject. I also use either a home-made softbox or umbrella.

Once I've captured the portrait, I use this photoshop action in postprocessing: CoffeeShop Free PS/PSE Actions!: CoffeeShop PowderRoom Free Action Is Here!

Be sure to read the tutorial if you use this action. The action has four steps: Soften skin, sharpen eyes, brighten eyes, and vignetting. You don't have to use each step though, just use the ones you want. The brighten eyes step is also useful for whitening teeth.

The key to this action is subtlety. After applying each step, I adjust the layer opacity to anywhere from 20 to 50%.

Give it a try, I think it works great.
03-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
(snip) I want to know what makes eyes bold and spectacular, (snip)

I think what you're after is a sparkle in the eyes. That's usually nothing more than a reflection from a light source placed in front of the subject. That light source can either be natural (a large window) or artificial (a large strobe, such as a softbox). Placement of that light source is dependant on where your want the sparkle in the eyes. Most feel a light source positioned just above and to the side of your camera location (two or three feet above and two or three feet to the side) provides the most natural looking reflection.

By the way, if you're photographing the eyes alone, this one light source can easily be the sole light source. The result is spectacular. However, if you're photographing more of your overall subject, you'll often be more satisfied with additional lighting.

stewart

03-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #5

I don't do a lot of portrait work so take this with a grain of salt, but in terms of photographic technique I think most of it is basic (correct focus and exposure). A catchlight in the eyes, as previously mentioned, can also make a big difference, and as said it can be as simple as a large bright window nearby. I've seen some photographers go well out of there way to either buy expensive lighting setups are create elaborate DIY kits to give interesting catchlights (ring-lights seem to be popular).

FWIW (I know you said you weren't interested in post processing techniques) I think this video tutorial about Lightroom nicely shows how professionals will (or can) touch up a portrait. Skip to a little over half-way through the video and there's a good amount of work she does just to the eyes. The same editing concepts can apply to any other software program if you don't use Lightroom.

Adobe - Photoshop Lightroom 2 video tutorial : What's new in the Develop module
03-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

A good lens.
Eyes are one of the places where a lesser quality lens shows itself to be a failure.
Post processing is important too.

03-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It helps if you remove the eye first!

03-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Some could find that eye-brain mush photo a bit disgusting mind you.
03-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wheatfield: beautiful shot.

WerTicus: blech... in a split second you just ruined the good feeling from that smiling woman in Wheatfield's shot. *sigh*
04-01-2009, 02:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

Yep, good feeling is gone...

(And I don't gross easily - I've dissected all kinds of stuff at university - including human cadavers.)

And WerTicus - I think you still missed focus :-)
04-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #11

Oh god, that brings back memories of Grade 8 Biology, and trying to dissect a cow's eyeball with a blunt scalpel. I pushed too hard, and instead of piercing the eyeball, it simply sprung out from under the blade and skittered across the bench to land in an already-queasy girl's lap!
04-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
Oh god, that brings back memories of Grade 8 Biology, and trying to dissect a cow's eyeball with a blunt scalpel. I pushed too hard, and instead of piercing the eyeball, it simply sprung out from under the blade and skittered across the bench to land in an already-queasy girl's lap!
Did she marry you? Thats what happens in all the novels.
04-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah eye balls are tough, to cut and photograph
04-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Did she marry you? Thats what happens in all the novels.
Yes, but that's not usually what the novels mean when they say "He gave her the eye"!
04-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
I understand better your avatar, now...