Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #1

high speed sync with K10

Just to clarify (because I've been going around and around trying to figure it out)-
Is there ANY way at all to HSS my K10 wirelessly without either the 360 or 540 mounted on-camera?

I'm not looking for ttl, I just want a faster shutter.
Thanks.

04-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
HSS requires flash power. Much more power then is reasonable to expect to get out of any small in camera flash and the in camera flash is flashing to send the multiple flash control signals to the off camera flash. In addition HSS is part of P-TTL so you can’t have HSS with out P-TTL. At this time AFAIK there are no radio hot shoe systems that will send P-TTL so to do P-TTL wireless you need to use at least 2 P-TTL capable wireless flash units for wireless HSS.

Sorry but this is probably not what you wanted to hear. Do you want the HSS just for faster shutter speed (stop some motion) or are you trying to manage the ambient light? There maybe some other techniques you could try.

DAZ
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'm interested in balancing ambient in bright sunlight-type situations. I have the cheap-o radio triggers for playing around and random bits and pieces of lighting stuff that I've collected over the years. I wanted to try my hand at some strobist-style outdoor stuff, and figured I had all the ingredients, and then found that I couldn't really do what I wanted.
Stop action is helpful with toddlers, but I'm not shooting sprints or bicycle races or anything.
I appreciate the assistance!
04-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by perstephone6 Quote
I'm interested in balancing ambient in bright sunlight-type situations.

Yep, HSS is the way to go with that. A cheaper way without having to get a new flash is you can get some hot shoe adapters and a cable. It is not as convenient as wireless but a lot less then a new P-TTL capable flash. If you are just using 1 flash it is not too much of a problem and it gets the flash off the camera. If you decide you like this kind of thing you could budget for a 540 flash later and if you don’t the P5 cable and adapters (you may use them in other ways anyway) are not that much.

DAZ

04-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, from a pure mathematical approach, a ND filter is more efficient for balancing ambient and flash, if you're already at max sync...
In fact, HSS eats a lot of power for maintaining the pulse over the 1/180 duration (time for the shutter slit to travel over the whole sensor, for whatever shutter speed you're using), and using a ND filter allows for nearly one stop advantage over HSS once you do the math.

I can provide them for you if you want... (In fact I've just searched Strobist on flickr for the post I've made some time ago on this : Flickr: Discussing ND Filter vs HSS/FP? in Strobist.com)

Cons are the sync speed (for sports), the dark viewfinder, and the optical degradation with cheap NDs (as a really good ND is nearly as expensive as a 360, I bet the cheap ND makes sense here!).
Pro is the cheapness of the solution!
04-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

if you under-expose the whole frame slightly (maybe a stop), even in full sun conditions you can still use the flash to freeze the subject. It has the added benefit of highlighting your subject quite well - adding separation from the background

These images were taken last weekend with remote strobes fired by $30 ebay triggers.

On this second image (you'd need a bigger resolution to really see it) but the front of the bike and the rider's face is quite sharp while the rest of the bike has some motion blur adding to the sense of speed.
04-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ha.
Speaking of cyclists... I like it.
This is all certainly better information than I was anticipating. I just need to break out the gear and toy with it, it looks like. Thanks for the info!

04-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am totally lost here. I could be wrong, I thought HSS is used in situations as fill-flash and in broad daylight where you need to dial the shutter speed faster than 1/180. The built-in flash does not support HSS, only the external flash does. Therefore, to use the fill-flash in daylight, I would set the flash to HSS and I can use the Aperture priority (or manual) mode on the camera. Thoughts and comments?
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I thought HSS is used in situations as fill-flash and in broad daylight where you need to dial the shutter speed faster than 1/180. The built-in flash does not support HSS, only the external flash does. Therefore, to use the fill-flash in daylight, I would set the flash to HSS and I can use the Aperture priority (or manual) mode on the camera. Thoughts and comments?
Edit: oops, cut and paste error. There was to be line to be a line about if you could get your flash close and had the power you could use HSS to help stop action.

Yes the built in flash can’t do HSS. But the external flash can be on the camera or to the side. Depending on how artsy you want to get you can use more then 1 flash to control what is lit or not. Even for just for fill you may want to fill more from the side and not in line with the camera. So if you are using lets say a 360 on camera you could set it in the flash menu for control. Then use a 540 on a stand to the side setting it to master. The flash from the 360 is only controlling the 540 and not lighting up the subject and the flash from the 540 in filing in shadows from the sun.

If you are not looking for HSS but still P-TTL then you can use the built in flash and set it for control only, like if you are going for the sunset behind the subject. You still have the flash to the side. This way you are using only 1 more flash.

DAZ

Last edited by DAZ; 04-01-2009 at 02:58 PM.