Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'd be really p****d (annoyed, I'm on probation) about that.
I can't understand why camera companies force people like Adobe to reverse engineer their software when they should be releasing the code to make sure that Camera Raw optimized for their files.
Unless Nikon's software is really smokin hot, anyway.
Unfortunately, I understand it too well (but obviously oppose it). It's not the Nikon software engineers, I'm sure they're against it, too. It's Nikon product management. They're trying to protect sales of their own software, simple as that. While Nikon software is better than any other camera maker's (Pentax included), it is certainly no match for Lightroom, Aperture, and Photoshop. Nikon's short-sighted, greedy executives don't realize that they're shooting themselves in the foot with these stunts.

04-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
exactly. when you are selling cameras, why would you want your users to have more trouble and less choices for using their output? however, if i am not mistaking, nikon is also selling their post processing software (and it's not cheap), capture nx it's called, or something? and this is where corporate greed comes in. this does not explain why or excuse them for doing it, because history has shown open standards sell, and closed junk is bound for failure (example: ibm had the incredible idea to open the specs for x86, in a time where computers were extremely unafordable still, today, x86 (intel, amd and so on, the stuff windows runs on) is obviously dominating the IT landscape, is it the best architecture around? not by far, is it associated with the best OS around? (windows), not even close, but it is still standard, and unstopable now). now when you take into account that in this case, if i understand correctly, nikon is not just hiding their format/avoiding open standards, they are actively puting obstacles in the way of it being used by their customers (encryption)...

nanok walks away, confused
04-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #108
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the reason we may be seeing more proprietary formats and less cross compatibility is that the more years that pass the fewer corporate decision makers there are that remember Sony Betamax.
04-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Propietary formats are designed solely to generate profits for the manufacturer. Apple has done quite well with their iPod & iTunes store. Sony may have failed in the consumer market with Betamax but they own the commercial market. The biggest problem with proprietary RAW file formats is the potential impact it might have on the consumers' choice of third party post processing software. Imagine if you had to use Pentax's bundled software...