Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First time in a camera store. "Got any Pentax?"

So, i'd never been to a camera store before and thought i'd see what that is all about...i found almost nothing in the phone book, then went online and located 2 stores in nearby cities.

I walk into the first store...impressive wall of glass cases with cameras and lens beautifully displayed. I ask the clerk, "You got any Pentax?". He answers, "No, we only sell the BIG BOYS here."
wha??

Next store, a popular chain. I walk in and browse the cases for awhile before finally seeing 2 older Pentax cameras looking forlorn on the shelf. Guy tells me he remembers the last Pentax he sold there was nearly two years ago. again, what?!
He also told me that the big lens makers like Tamron and Sigma no longer even make lenses for Pentax cameras because they are so unpopular.

OK, anyone in the San Fran Bay Area know of any camera store that sells any Pentax gear? Not that i am needing to do heavy shopping, but it would be nice to know where the Pentax-friendly store(s) may be.

thx...gotta go play with my "little boy" Pentax camera now...

04-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry, I don't live there, but I can say that here in Uppsala there is only one real camera store and half of the clerks there use a Pentax. The Pentax's are there with the other Big Boy cameras along with some Pentax lenses and flashes.
I've been reading posts like these ever since I joined (about a year ago) and I can't help but wonder how bias people are. Maybe I am too, considering Uppsala had their retail here until they closed it down less than a year ago.
I don't see alot of Pentax users here, but there are some, perhaps more than the usual percentage, and I only know one person IRL who claims that my camera sucks. Until recently (he's upgraded to 40D) he claimed that his 400D was built sturdier and had better color depth and so on compared to my K10D. I can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy.
Well that's my two cents, and hopefully the first and last one about this Canikon vs Pentax discussion.

Eidt: Sorry for being slightly off-topic.

Last edited by StarDust; 04-02-2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: apology for slight off-topic
04-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #3

Not sure if you're actually in San Francisco or not, but there's a Calumet on Bryant which I would think would cary Pentax, they do on their website, but I havn't been so I don't know for sure. There's also Gassers on 2nd street downtown where I have been for other reasons and have seen some Pentax stuff. I think they are known for being somewhat overpriced though, but I could be making that up.
04-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
He also told me that the big lens makers like Tamron and Sigma no longer even make lenses for Pentax cameras because they are so unpopular.
Ouch. This is absolutely rubbish wrt. Sigma - all their recent announcements have been for Pentax too, but several of the recent Tamron releases have been Nikon and Canon only, and the 60mm macro was announced for Nikon, Canon and Sony.

04-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #5

Well that really sucks..

At Henry's they actually carry quite a bit of Pentax..not as much as Canon, or Nikon, but getting up there..

I went to Henry's to get some stuff, and asked to try a few lenses..they had like a 12-24, 16-50, 50-135, 40mm ltd, 70mm ltd, 10-17mm all on display..

And even some of the guys use Pentax there..(well they use Pentax, Canon and Nikon..just for different things).

Personally, I think Pentax is doing everything great, like the CMOS sensor on the K20D, weather sealing, in-camera shake reduction, and great prices, but I think like 1/8000 shutter speed would be really nice.

Go Pentax! (though, I'm not against Canon, but I think Pentax has better quality stuff for their price range compared to Canons stuff at the price like Pentax's.)

-Isaac
04-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Ouch. This is absolutely rubbish wrt. Sigma - all their recent announcements have been for Pentax too, but several of the recent Tamron releases have been Nikon and Canon only, and the 60mm macro was announced for Nikon, Canon and Sony.
what do you expect from a random clerk trying to push whatever he's got in stock?
04-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We have 1 little camera store within a 100 miles and the biggest sign out front is the Pentax one.

04-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

"No, we only sell the BIG BOYS here."
"Oh, very ignorant, I see. Good day to you."
04-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I hear very similar things in Oklahoma. Small mostly rural state, we have 1 true camera store in each metropolitan area, OKC and Tulsa. The remaining chain stores specialize in photo finishing, video and P&S sales with a smattering of Canon and Nikon DSLR's on display .Both carry some Pentax, but just barely. Both say they haven't seen a Pentax rep in a long time and as a result, Pentax has lost its spot in representation in these shops. I purchase almost everything photographic these days from Adorama, KEH and B&H in that order. On the other side of that arguement, my local dealers keep prices jacked up and I buy everthing save an occasional flash bounce or reflector I need when I tear up something and need it in a hurry.
I believe Pentax is steering toward a future of web based sales where dealers will be located in large cities such as NY, LA, Dallas, Houston etc... the centers of population and sales. Dealers that don't get in the internet fight and move volume will continue to fall by the wayside. If it wasn't for developing services for my medium format gear I might never set foot in a camera shop in my local region again. Oh, and always remember that the clerks at stores know what they are told and read in sales literature and sales training.
Just my humble opinion.
04-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #10

Even in NYC, most stores don't carry or have limited Pentax camera, i guess Pentax doesn't prom their stuff as much as other Brands. It's a shame on Pentax's marketing. But since i purchase most my stuff online, it's not a big issue for me. And the last source here is B&H.
04-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

OK, anyone in the San Fran Bay Area know of any camera store that sells any Pentax gear? Not that i am needing to do heavy shopping, but it would be nice to know where the Pentax-friendly store(s) may be.
Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto has some Pentax stuff. It's a big store and you'll have to look around to find it, but it's there.

Last time I was in there they had a few Limiteds in their display case with a K20D, and a few odd zooms. I don't really remember much else.

I had gone in to buy an M42 rear cap, which they had -- for $6! I don't shop there too much.
04-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
well, i got a few leads now...thanks for all the input.
04-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
ntx
Forum Member

It's strange to see how difficult is for you finding a Pentax dealer.
Here, but I can't bet it's the same in every part of Italy, I have a store not only selling Pentax but also deals with used lens/parts... just a dozen kilometers more and I find a official Pentax dealer, a little more distance and I find two Pentax ProCenter.
Beside this I have to say that big markets chains here never sell Pentax at all. So it's easy, while buying pasta and a box of nappies, to put in the cart one of the "big boys" cameras also. ...they never know that if you break a pickle pot in the cart the weather sealed body would save the day!

Bye
Jenner
04-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I wandered around The City (San Francisco, to you peasants) a few months ago and all the exploitation dealers in Chinatown and around Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square had at least some Pentax gear. As with Canikonympusony stuff, all that I saw were older offerings, much possibly gray-market, all non-returnable. So I wouldn't do business at such tourist traps, but at least the gear was there.
04-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I second Keeble and Schuchat. They're knowledgeable and nice over there. They had the K200 and K20D in stock, and some lenses as well. I actually bought my DA* 16-50 f/2.8 from them. They won't push you to any other brand or slam Pentax. Their other store across the street also has some used Pentax lenses.