Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Any Canon xxD converts?

Hey everyone, I'm seriously contemplating making a switch in systems after finding out the K20D is only $700. To give a setup, I shoot with a 20D+40D with a 30/1.4, 85/1.8, 50-135/2.8, and 17-50/2.8. As you can see, lenses won't be too much of an issue.

I'd like to try and find some users who went this route, and what they generally shoot and their experiences. I, myself, am getting into events (eg weddings) and enjoy available low light photography (the latter being why I went canon in the first place).

But the pancake lenses have always intrigued me, and that 50-135 I have, I would love the pentax version since it has SDM. Not to mention maybe starting up collection of old primes (tho, the two I have ar m42, and I have adapters for either system, heh) as I shoot film w/ a K1000 for fun, too.

But yeah, I'm curious how many have gone this route, or have used both 30D/40D/50D and the K20D. Part of me thinks I'm crazy, but the other part of me is wants a k2000+some pancake as a carry everywhere, heh.

04-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I converted about a year and a half ago. I started with a 300D (original, silver Digital Rebel), then the 20D, and the 30D for a few sad months. There was so little technical advancement or usability refinement between those three cameras (and then even the 40D was not much more), that "my eye started to wander." I shoot landscapes and portraits, and spend a lot of time climbing and hiking with my gear.

There were (are) three main differences that sent me to Pentax (over Nikon or sticking w/ Canon):

- *Quality* megapixels; I like resolution, but it has to be useful. Pentax color is stunning, better DR, and high-ISO doesn't get "smeary" (but maybe the 40/50D are better).

- In-body shake-reduction; makes no difference for my panos, but a godsend in low-light candids and I don't have to fork over huge $ for stabilized "L" glass. Works far better than I expected as well (sharp handheld .5 sec exposures!).

- High quality lenses that (used to) not cost anywhere near as much as "L" glass. In the US, you are lucky, as Pentax glass remains a bargain in the prime/ fast zoom market. The limited series primes have no equal outside of the boutique german lenses.

So, after using the Pentax flagships (K10D, now K20D), I can say that there are many other significant differences. The controls are more intuitive and fluid on Pentax, with less searching or menu-diving to control the shot. The build quality of the bodies are slightly better, even though the xxD series Canons are all-magnesium (ergonomics and fit/ finish, plus weather-sealing)... you just have to handle the K20D with the grip to know what I'm talking about. Little technical goodies like 5-shot AEB, built-in multi-exposure, intervalometer, focus-trap mode, programmable buttons and dials, TAv mode, and others I don't play with.

Yes, the Pentax will disappoint for high-speed sports photography and extreme telephoto (but this can be overcome by skilled users), and may not have ISO 25600 (!) but for my needs this camera and these lenses are perfect. I wouldn't go back to Canon at an even swap, gear for gear, but your experience might be different.

-Mark
04-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think the K20D is alot easier to handle than the 40D, but I'm used to the K20D. The button layout etc. is a bit more confusing on the 40D. But I have only handled my brothers 40D, not used to it.
It's a great dSLR. You have Sigma 30/1.4?, Canon 85/1.8?, Tokina 50-135/2.8 and Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM??

I say; keep your 40D and your good glas. If you want something creative and small, wait to see how how the new Sigma DP2 turns out. A compact P&S with APS-C Foveon sensor. Prime lens 24.2mm F2.8 (35mm equivalent focal length:41mm)
Test Photos
04-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am not a convert, but I had a chance to become familiar with a canon 30D, before I purchased my K10D. My cousin, who shoots weddings and taught me some of the basics of photography, needed someone to shoot his wedding. I was chosen and I used his Canon 30D with the 17-85/F3.5-5.6 IS. The body is great. It focuses in low light better than my K10D. But to achieve image stabalization you have to by the lenses. Canon is producing more cheaper IS lenses, but I was not at all impressed with the 17-85. The bokeh (blurring of the background) was dissapointing. To get the good glass, you gotta pay the big bucks. That is fine for professionals, but not in my budget. The K10D was and I already had a few lenses from my film era days. I was GIVEN even more lenses (all old K-mount, of course) by a kind gentlemen who was cleaning his attic. I offered to pay for them, of course, but he said just take em and I would be doing him a favor! Pentax offers quality and value with their bodies and new and existing glass. You may run accross some good bargains on legacy glass if you look carefully. The deal maker is that they all are stabalized with the shake reduction bodies, which works quite well I might add.

04-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
northpentax, it's a Tamron 17-50/2.8.

I'm familiar w/ the body of the K20D. In fact, I actually prefer it. And I thought about the DP2 as well, but that is a lot of money.. it's still not pocketable to me because I'd definitely need a case spending $650+ on a camera.

To address the IS, it's definitely nice to have. And the cheaper IS for canon unfortunately is for the consumer grade stuff. the 17-55/2.8 is a grand.. that's more than twice my tamron.. for IS and USM. Can't do it, heh. I do believe at this point in time tho in lens IS is better... but I honestly only need it in something like a 70-200/2.8 (or anything else that weighs that much)

My biggest fears are the AF performance and how I'd feel using it after the 40D, and Pentax's ability to stay afloat during these hard times =(
04-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Linh Quote
I, myself, am getting into events (eg weddings) and enjoy available low light photography (the latter being why I went canon in the first place).
If you can, see if you can find a local Pentaxian who'd go to a typical event w/ you and let you swap cameras. The K20D will focus slower in low light than the 40D if a subject is moving, so that's something you might notice, but the best way to find out is to actually try it.
04-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Yeah, they're on the Canon forums.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-04-2009 at 09:32 PM.
04-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Yeah, they're on the Canon forums.
I feel like maybe you misinterpreted the question... he meant converts FROM Canon xxD.

btw, to the OP, Marc Langille recently used both the K20D and 40D for a large collection of wildlife photograhy and he wrote up a comparison on here that you might find helpful. No garauntees on how well the search function will work though, I never have any luck with it.
04-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I feel like maybe you misinterpreted the question... he meant converts FROM Canon xxD.

btw, to the OP, Marc Langille recently used both the K20D and 40D for a large collection of wildlife photograhy and he wrote up a comparison on here that you might find helpful. No garauntees on how well the search function will work though, I never have any luck with it.
thanks, I found it searching for his name. Interesting thoughts. I'm teetering on selling all my gear, but it's quite a hassle. And it's definitely more of a side step rather than upgrade, which sorta makes me lazy.

I know asking about the livelihood of pentax in a pentax forums is a little counter-intuitive, heh. But his remarks on AF is intriguing that he had more trouble in low light w/ the 40D.

And yes, I was asking about converts FROM canon, heh... hence posting in the DSLR forum... figured if anyone was going to talk about the pentax bodies, I could get some feedback from those who have come from canon.