Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Macro Photography + Flash

Good day all....
With spring coming up I have one thing on my mind... MACRO!
Im sure this is not unusual, but for me its exciting because its my first real Spring with any sort of photographic knowledge or gear.
I learned last year that I have a great affinity to macro photog, and this leads me to my question...

I have always just used natural light for macro. What advantages will I be getting if I buy an external flash for macro use **i have never used an external flash
Is using a flash much better than natural light? And is it something essential to achieving a next level in macro photography?
Should I be looking at the pentax Ring flash? 360? 540? or the Sigma 530dg?

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

04-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Shooting macro you want to close the lens to f/16 or more to get good DOF. A good flash lets you shoot handheld without shake and at low ISO. I even got good results with a coffee filter over the camera's own flash, but it's really not powerful enough.

Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro Lens + Flash Diffuser on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

A photo taken with the coffee filter diffuser:

On a green throne on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
04-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the links, thats a pretty nice idea with the Coffee filter.
I noticed you said in your flickr comments that you would need a stronger flash,
I guess thats a reason for getting an off camera flash. As well as varying the position of the flash....
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A ring flash will give you extremely flat, even lighting. Good for certain product shots, like highly reflective jewelry and coins, but boring for plants, flowers, bugs, and other living things. You'll get better results with side flash and a reflector.

04-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Macro and flash make a great pair! One issue you may find is getting the flash pointed at a spot so near the camera. Just on the normal shoe, the flash will shoot quite a bit above the spot that your macro lens focuses as 1:1.

If cost is no object, check Really Right Stuff for a variety of flash brackets that allow you not only to point the flash where you need to, but also to alter the angle of the light to "plan" your shadows.

Like the other posts, I like to use a diffuser to moderate the flash burst. I use Lumiquest Pocket Bouncers. They are cheap and stow easily in the kit. These types of bounce products also help open up the "aim" of the flash making it less problematic at close focusing distances. One of my pocket bounce kits even has a gold and a silver reflector that fits the bouncer to change the quality of the light--gold for a warm effect, silver for popping specular highlights.

Many people use exposure compensation to reduce the amount of flash light and allow the image to be mostly naturally lit. Minus 1 exposure compensation (on the flash) works well for me. However, if you are taking a very close focused shot or a handheld shot you will want to use the flash as the only light source and will likely do best not using exposure comp. in those situations.

Have fun! As much fun as macro can be, adding flash capabilities will make it even funner because you'll have additional capabilities. Night macro anyone?
04-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right now....

Right now I am looking at getting either the Pentax 360, or Sigma 530 Super.
With the idea of putting a small soft box over it and using it of camera on a tripod.
For anything but insects I think this would work,
any thoughts?
04-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Damn Brit

For off camera flash use, I have found the Gorilla Pod SLR to be useful. The head is removable and a replacement head is available so that you can attach your flash. Of course your flash must have the capability to be triggered remotely.

04-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thats a good idea, I hadnt thought about the Gorilla Pod. Also versitile.
I beleive both the Sigma and 360 can be used wirelessly
04-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The only thing to be wary about if you have a macro lens that has the subject too close to the lens, the on board flash won't work as it will create a shadow of the lens on the subject.
With these types of lens, it is better to use the macro ring flash.
Either that or get another lens that will let you take the shot a little farther out to prevent lens shadows.
04-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
The only thing to be wary about if you have a macro lens that has the subject too close to the lens, the on board flash won't work as it will create a shadow of the lens on the subject.
With these types of lens, it is better to use the macro ring flash.
Either that or get another lens that will let you take the shot a little farther out to prevent lens shadows.
If you put a coffee filter over your on board flash, that'll take care of the shadow
04-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bwield Quote
Good day all....
With spring coming up I have one thing on my mind... MACRO!
Im sure this is not unusual, but for me its exciting because its my first real Spring with any sort of photographic knowledge or gear.
I learned last year that I have a great affinity to macro photog, and this leads me to my question...

I have always just used natural light for macro. What advantages will I be getting if I buy an external flash for macro use **i have never used an external flash
Is using a flash much better than natural light? And is it something essential to achieving a next level in macro photography?
Should I be looking at the pentax Ring flash? 360? 540? or the Sigma 530dg?

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Promaster makes some good off camera flash cables......
Promaster
04-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
If you put a coffee filter over your on board flash, that'll take care of the shadow
I'll have to try this one 'coz I always had a problem with shadows with the on-board flash.
Thanks a lot for this idea. I hope it works!
04-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Reading some recent threads about the failings about PTTL... There are lots of older TTL flashes available out there.
For these I would need a cable to connect the flash ( to use off camera) and I assume they would have to be TTL compatible, as the ones on the pentax websites say they are only good for more recent flashes.
PENTAX Off-Camera Shoe Adapter F - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
04-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
popup diffuser

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
I've found this gizmo to be quite handy
PUFFER Gary Fong The Puffer, Pop-up Flash Diffuser
It's small so it fits into my bag easily, and relatively inexpensive (tho not as cheap as a coffee filter) and best of all gives good results. I have a 540 flash, but sometimes it's a pita to get it out and set it up, this little gizmo snaps into place quickly and does the job nicely.

NaCl(but you will get wierd looks if you leave it on your camera)H2O
04-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I bought a 360AF with my K20D, and a ringflash (Phoenix RL-59P) cheap on eBay. I set the 360AF to wireless, put it on a bracket to the side, generally mount a diffuser, and get the best of both worlds. And for a cheap onboard flash diffuser, go to a dollar store and buy a set of infants' sox, the thinner the better. A coffee filter is cheaper but wears out sooner.