Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What paint sticks?

Just wondering if anyone knew this... I'd like to put some white in the grooves of my K20d's metering selector (I keep forgetting to take it off spot and it'd help if the thing were more visible. ) and am wondering what sticks well to what I presume is the same polycarbonate type stuff as the body. I was thinking plain ol' hobby enamel ought to do. I figure the little grooves in there ought to hold anything a while, but I'd like to do it as nice as I can.

Just wondering if anyone'd done anything like this, and in case there's any no-nos, about it, at least to have asked around.

04-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I haven't done it on a camera but I used orange enamel paint on my dive watch but it didn't last long. I think enamel has to cure for quite a while before it hardens.
04-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I haven't done it on a camera but I used orange enamel paint on my dive watch but it didn't last long. I think enamel has to cure for quite a while before it hardens.
Well, that's generally a given, paint drying and all. I've got a few model paints I've used for various touch-up and craft purposes that might serve if they're still any good. When I was young, I used to put the occasional dot of my father's gunsight paint on dials or something. (generally metal somethings) The phosphorescent stuff would glow like a watch face once upon a time.
04-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
ramshot

How about using a fine point permanent marker? They come in a variety of colors now days.

04-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Just wondering if anyone knew this... I'd like to put some white in the grooves of my K20d's metering selector (I keep forgetting to take it off spot and it'd help if the thing were more visible. ) and am wondering what sticks well to what I presume is the same polycarbonate type stuff as the body. I was thinking plain ol' hobby enamel ought to do. I figure the little grooves in there ought to hold anything a while, but I'd like to do it as nice as I can.

Just wondering if anyone'd done anything like this, and in case there's any no-nos, about it, at least to have asked around.

Coloured nail polish.
Use a toothpick to apply it.
04-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I run into this a lot with test equipment, audio gear, & radio gear - I use whiteout. Easy to apply, and reapply if needed. Also easy to remove later to make something look original or like new.
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Automotive touch-up paint is another option. Comes in small vials similar to nail polish.

04-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hrm, well, I have a hobby paint that'll hopefully flake less than whiteout might.

(I've used that, too, might be worth a try, not generaly on things that are handled directly, though. Nail polish is out, mostly because I don't have any in a color that would be useful. Also cause it can be bad on some plastics and be fumey.)
04-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

On my rear lens caps I always use white correction fluid to nark the groove that lines up with the red dot! Stays on forever in the groove.
04-07-2009, 03:52 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, that's generally a given, paint drying and all. I've got a few model paints I've used for various touch-up and craft purposes that might serve if they're still any good. When I was young, I used to put the occasional dot of my father's gunsight paint on dials or something. (generally metal somethings) The phosphorescent stuff would glow like a watch face once upon a time.

I meant "QUITE A WHILE"", longer than you would think.
04-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try a white crayon! Could it be this simple? Yes, this has been around a long time in the firearms world to highlight the lettering on barrels. I have one that was done over 35 years ago and still looks good. It's easy to remove too!
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Whatever you use, just make sure you clean it well with some kind of degreaser (look in hobby shop for plastic safe degreaser) first to make sure the paint adheres properly.
04-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Try a white crayon! Could it be this simple? Yes, this has been around a long time in the firearms world to highlight the lettering on barrels. I have one that was done over 35 years ago and still looks good. It's easy to remove too!
There is a web page that has instructions for doing this and it recommends a white "China Marker".

Dixon Phano Non-Toxic China Marker

I would try rub on, white, lettering on the camera. Much less potential for auxiliary issues I think.

Last edited by poco; 04-07-2009 at 03:39 PM.
04-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rustyoldbug Quote
I run into this a lot with test equipment, audio gear, & radio gear - I use whiteout. Easy to apply, and reapply if needed. Also easy to remove later to make something look original or like new.
We used to do this a lot on radio gear, too. It lasts longer than you would expect. Fingernail polish works too - perhaps the acrylic type would last even longer.
04-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the studio we used china white. But it's not terribly particular and so might not be "spot" enough for this application.