Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I know there are lots of ways of "skinning the cat", but how do YOU shoot action shots?

My kids enjoy playing soccer, softball, outdoor stuff, and was curious what the best technique is.

My camera is a K100D with a cheap Tamron 70 (or is it 75?) to 300mm zoom len. I set the camera on about (TV mode) 750 shutter speed and just start hammering away. I know, totally clueless. Should I have the camera in "continuous focus", push the "trigger" down half way and let it focus, then take the shot, or just start clicking.

It's amazing I get any good shots at all!!!!! Thanks for any tips.

vmax84
I have a lot of first hand experience with girls softball(not as a photographer though). I can help you with any questions you may have on how to compose particular shots and what to do to obtain the best shots for this sport. I assume your child who plays softball is a girl (let me know so I can adress as she or he).

It was that experience that helped me with the pics of the baseball game.

04-15-2009, 04:25 AM   #17
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One important thing to remember is that the style of shooting, how settings are used etc, will vary by person and it's good to try different ways to find the one that works for you. I shoot a lot of soccer, some baseball, some football, and I do the the settings thing differently than probably everyone else whose descriptions I've read. And I've been told more than once that I do it wrong. So, try some different things and see what works for you.
04-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

There are many factors to consider like personal preference and equipment limitations. (A slow lens will limit your chances of "freezing" some action)
I am by no means an expert or a pro, not by the longest shot, but I like to use panning for fast action shots. The idea is to show the subject sharply in focus while blurring the background to evoke the emotion of movement.
But there is no right or wrong. I've done the opposite as well: Slightly blurred subject with sharp background will also convey "action" as well as freezing fast action. It also depends on the situation. Freezing a baseball in mid air about to be hit is a powerful image. By the way, I love ajtour's excellent shot of the tennis ball caught in mid air. But freezing a race car will simply look like just parked there. My suggestion is try all, take as many as possible and then decide which works best for you.
But most importantly: Have fun!

panning

These are point and shoot snapshots. Not the greatest but they illustrate what I'm trying to say...
slight blur

lame attempt at "freezing" with a point and shoot over a long distance in low light

Thanks,
04-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This will probably open up a huge can of worms, but should I have the image stabilation on or off when shooting action sports? (hunkers down behind the bed where it is safe!).

vmax84

04-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With tripod - no
With monopod - the jury is still out
Handheld - yes.
04-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I shoot lots of kids sports mostly hockey and basketball, S/R on both hand held and on monopod, I only use my tripod for video at sporting events. I have used the Sigma 70-300 to shoot indoors knowing the images would be a little dark to begin with but corrected them later with little or no issue but outdoors it was fine, I also use TAV on my K10 and now on my Wifes K20 usually increasing shutter speed and opening the apature to get the DOF that I want. Depends on where I'm shooting as to wheather I pan or not but when I first started shooting it was pan all the time on dirt track stock and sprint cars (manual focus Yashica) now it depends on what I'm shoot for or at.

Check out the shots on my site and you can see some examples.