Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera exposure digital vs film.

I am taking a film class and one of the assignment is flash photography. I have an external flash that can be used with my dSLR and my film slr. My question is can I test out the exposure with my dSLR and use the same setting on the film slr?

Lets say I set my K20D at 400 ISO and the correct exposure is f/8 @ 1/60 sec.
If I use the SAME lens and point at the same spot, will my film SLR with 400 ISO film, set at f/8 @ 1/60 sec give me the same exposure?

The reason why I am asking is because I don't want to waste film.

04-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Theoretically, yes. Same concept as shooting polaroid in the studio to test lighting. That's actually my next step in strobism (shooting film with off-camera lighting) and I will probably bracket the film shots for comparison against the digital postmortem.

Of course, the "right" answer would be to use a light meter - but those cost money you could be spending on lenses and film.
04-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer.
04-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In agreement with Venturi here. I have used my K10d as a light meter for shooting off-cameras flash with film both by using the same wireless trigger on a Yashica nedium format TLR and shooting macros with a bellows and wireless flash with a Spotmatic and the same spotmatic for general photography (the meter was inoperative at the time).

With print film your exposure setting should be close enough.

04-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
In agreement with Venturi here. I have used my K10d as a light meter for shooting off-cameras flash with film.
Or you could use a light meter that also measures flash, like the Sekonic L-358.

Paul
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the same exposures with the K10D and the MZ-S and the SF-1. I've just gotten my new AF540FGZ so I cannot talk to it, but I had no complaints with the AF400FTZ on the MZ-S. It did what it was supposed to do.

It has been a while since I used my studio lights, but I have a small flash meter for use with them. I meter each flash separately, and then fire them together for the final.
04-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I am taking a film class and one of the assignment is flash photography. I have an external flash that can be used with my dSLR and my film slr. My question is can I test out the exposure with my dSLR and use the same setting on the film slr?

Lets say I set my K20D at 400 ISO and the correct exposure is f/8 @ 1/60 sec.
If I use the SAME lens and point at the same spot, will my film SLR with 400 ISO film, set at f/8 @ 1/60 sec give me the same exposure?

The reason why I am asking is because I don't want to waste film.
as long as you stay within settings that are possible on both cameras the answer is yes, BUT in my opinion, you might be defeating the purpose of the assignment.

the idea is to learn proper exposure techniques, including how to calculate flash and settings of the camera.

you won't necessairly have a digitral camera with you all the time when shooting film, and will not have the ability to get instant results back. As a result you need confidence in what you are doing, and your DSLR is a form of crutch. If you take away the crutch will you be able to do it?

04-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
digital cameras don't really have an 'ISO' its just setting the amplification of the sensor signal based on an old set of numbers that were related to film.
04-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
digital cameras don't really have an 'ISO' its just setting the amplification of the sensor signal based on an old set of numbers that were related to film.
OK, but what's the difference, really? The ISO standard for sensitivity to light that was used to rate film works pretty much the exact same way whether the effect is accomplished by changing the chemicals in a piece of film or amplifying a digital sensor output. The exposure calculations involved for the photographer are identical.
04-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

depending on which film you use, you might even get better results with film from the increased DR.
04-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

if you want to eek out that bit extra in your RAW files read this Expose Right
04-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
if you want to eek out that bit extra in your RAW files read this Expose Right
drifting a little off topic here, the issue is setting flash exposure for a film photography class, raw processing simply does not apply
04-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
drifting a little off topic here, the issue is setting flash exposure for a film photography class, raw processing simply does not apply
i need to read better
04-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
as long as you stay within settings that are possible on both cameras the answer is yes, BUT in my opinion, you might be defeating the purpose of the assignment.

the idea is to learn proper exposure techniques, including how to calculate flash and settings of the camera.

you won't necessairly have a digitral camera with you all the time when shooting film, and will not have the ability to get instant results back. As a result you need confidence in what you are doing, and your DSLR is a form of crutch. If you take away the crutch will you be able to do it?
I get your point. I know how to get the proper exposure without using flash with no problem. The problem is the flash, I have no idea how to use it. When I use it with my K20D, I can get the job done but it will require me to play around with the setting on the flash first. Since I am able to get I am able to get instant feedback, I can adjust it on the spot. But with film, we all know it is not instant feedback. I will have to wait a week for the lab class to process the film. By then it will be too late.

I will learn how to use the flash properly later and I will be using my dSLR. The teacher will go more in depth detail about setting up the flash in the next semester. For this semester, he just wants us to experiment with using flash.
04-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

There's an inexpensive light meter in the marketplace right now - $60 I think. That would be an ideal tool to put in your bag, especially considering the course you are taking.