Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

History Museum-Focus learning experience

Visited a History Museum a coupla days ago and found it a useful experience in learning about AF.

When i entered the museum, i asked about photography. the answer was: Yes, except where marked. Also don't use flash. Also no packs allowed, leave your equipment here in the (lockable) lockers provided.

Until i got better acquainted with what they had, i selected my DA 35 f2.8 lens with my K10 and set off.

I encountered a lot of amber highlighted displays of various artifacts and human displays such as the following:

That was a realistic light level for this display. I did a AF image of the face and found it fuzzy when i checked the LCD. Shutter 1/30sec, ISO 400, f2.8, SR: ON. I remember reading about AF focusing problems with yellow light, so did a Manual Focus on the face and the above image resulted with the face in focus.

The other problem i encountered was with these spotlights that the museum loved to use with these almost life size sculptures. The spotlights produced these hotspots which required reducing the aperture size a few stops.

Anyway, i highly recommend this museum experience to test out one's focusing and perspective skills.

Phil

04-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

hmmm, the bottom is very grainy/noisy, higher up a few plces as well, and that's only at iso400? Other than that I like the photo very much...
04-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
hmmm, the bottom is very grainy/noisy, higher up a few plces as well, and that's only at iso400? Other than that I like the photo very much...
400 ISO on film gets grainy like 800-1600 on digital.
even thou film grain some times looks better then digital nois
04-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Agreed, shooting in a museum is very challenging with the way lighting is handled. Lots of hot spots that you go crazy trying to meter against.

Lots of fun though!

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Anyway, i highly recommend this museum experience to test out one's focusing and perspective skills.

04-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Agreed, shooting in a museum is very challenging with the way lighting is handled. Lots of hot spots that you go crazy trying to meter against.

Lots of fun though!
Agreed - chanllenging and fun! I have a hard time with glass encased exhibits - it's usually too dark to use a polarizer and tripods are prohibited. Sometimes I can't seem to find the composition I want while remaining at 45 deg. to the glass. If only I had a 3-foot long rubber lenshood.

Aquariums are another good place to be challenged...
04-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Agreed - chanllenging and fun! I have a hard time with glass encased exhibits - it's usually too dark to use a polarizer and tripods are prohibited. Sometimes I can't seem to find the composition I want while remaining at 45 deg. to the glass. If only I had a 3-foot long rubber lenshood.

Tripods, i was going to ask that question, the ticket taker was on the phone and i didn't get to ask. I wonder what the problem with them is? Are they concerned about people stumbling with them, in which case is a monopod ok??
04-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #7

A photog with a tripod is a large obstacle to other patrons.

04-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #8

We have a lot of museums where I live in Oaxaca and none allow you to carry a bag. I had a shoulder bag made of netting and they would allow me to put a couple of lenses in it and carry it because the contents were visible. Unfortunately, I loaned it out and never got it back. I'm looking for another one.

I visited a church where tripods were not prohibited. Some nitwite set up at the foot of a flight of stairs blocking the stairway. I asked him to let me by and I could tell I had seriously trampled his "rights". If it were up to me, yeh, I'd ban tripods simply because it's easier than arguing with nitwits.

I was in a museum and wanted a shot of an artifact in a case. There was a terrible reflection. I asked the guard if he would stand in a spot that blocked the reflection and he laughed and said, "Sure." It's nice to take photos in a place with nice people.
04-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I visited the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown last summer. They allow cameras including flash but everything is inside glass so taking photos is a challenge. Flash reflects back off the glass and there are always reflections in the glass of the surrounding background. I don't know their tripod policy but it would be almost impossible anyhow. There was always a steady stream of people and you had to be quick. I used the kit lens at its widest and got as close as I could to any exibit I wanted a shot of because if there was any room at all somebody would squeeze in front of you. I finally just set my ISO to 1600 and green mode and the meter set on spot and took quick snapshots and those turned out to be the best photos I got.
04-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback and tips. I'm retired so i went to the history museum on a Tuesday and the middle of the day. It was great. Its like I had the spaces all to myself. I didn't have to wait for folks to move on or get their elbow out of the way, etc. A guard asked me if i was finding everything, very courteous.

I have a walking stick that converts to a monopod. I suspect they wouldn't mind if i wasn't a pain with it. But it would take a lot more time to get it into position for shots. With these scupltures, it was kinda cool to pretend they were portraits and take real low shots of them. I would think it would be great practice for portraits of real people when there is less patience for do-overs.

thanks again for feedback,
04-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shot in an aquarium a couple weeks ago, and it's a real challenge getting things sharp. Even if you have an empty spot of glass, nothing stays still for very long.
04-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A fast lens and SR won't do the trick?
04-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Has anyone been to the museum under the St. Louis arch and know what their rules are with cameras and bags? We're supposed to take a family trip up there one of these days.
05-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Has anyone been to the museum under the St. Louis arch and know what their rules are with cameras and bags? We're supposed to take a family trip up there one of these days.
It's been a several years, but cameras are definitely allowed. As I recall, we had two small backpacks, but not a large bag. There's not a lot of room up at the top (or in the lift), so I'm sure tripods and large bags would be a no-no.