Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What do you do to boost your ego?..

I love taking pictures, its not my job but I like doing it a lot.
and to be honest I have a few pictures of mine that I like a lot ( told you I'll be honest but not modest ).

I know I should not let the PPG get to me but it did... and now I questioning my self maybe I am the only one that likes my pictures?

As you all know photography is big time consumer hobby it's a lot of work in PP and its one of the most expensive hobbies one can have .

So its nice to know that you have some ( not a lot) of talent... and I am sure you all know what I mean.

So far I submitted 7 of my favorite pictures to the PPG all of which got rejected...

So... my question is are there any other photography contests/ galleries for amateurs on line?

Its not a bout getting prizes but lets face it ...it is

Thanks guys! you will save me an hour of therapy )

04-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I love taking pictures, its not my job but I like doing it a lot.
and to be honest I have a few pictures of mine that I like a lot ( told you I'll be honest but not modest ).

I know I should not let the PPG get to me but it did... and now I questioning my self maybe I am the only one that likes my pictures?

As you all know photography is big time consumer hobby it's a lot of work in PP and its one of the most expensive hobbies one can have .

So its nice to know that you have some ( not a lot) of talent... and I am sure you all know what I mean.

So far I submitted 7 of my favorite pictures to the PPG all of which got rejected...

So... my question is are there any other photography contests/ galleries for amateurs on line?

Its not a bout getting prizes but lets face it ...it is

Thanks guys! you will save me an hour of therapy )
Hi

I assume that you know that the first step on PPG are the other users vote. Subjectivity

I notice you said you submited seven pictures you like. Sometimes you like them due to associated emotion etc, but they also have some tecnichal "problem".
Either way, I think you are expecting to much on "only" submitting seven images and already give up.

Use PPG to improve yourself. VOTE slowly, observe the other pictures and grow into photography with no stress.

I bet in no time you will get some in. Meanwhile don't loose your focus, this is a hobby, and as a hobby must be enjoyed a lot with no stress.

You can also submit pictures here, on the forum, for comments and critics.

Cheers

Edit: I also review the pictures on the PPG often analysing exifs so I can also improve with them.
04-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Netuser has some good advice. I have avoided PPG until recently - submitted 13 (bakers dozen) of 'my' favourites and all were rejected so cheer up.

There is a post your photo section here for general nice shot comments and separate section to get critiqued. There is also a POTW thread where you can just post whatever it is you are shooting that week.

I have only been doing the DSLR thing for about 2 years, consider myself a novice still but just love it! Really regret not getting into this earlier, but better late than never.

Don't get discouraged - as for an expensive hobby it sure can be, but if you enjoy it, it relieves stress, causes all the right feelings, thus the right chemicals being released into the body - how can you put a price on that?

Another ego booster print some of your favorites and show them. My wife bought me some photo albums for xmas - since digital I print so few - but you know what the magic is really in printed version as opposed to a web view.
04-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote

Another ego booster print some of your favorites and show them. My wife bought me some photo albums for xmas - since digital I print so few - but you know what the magic is really in printed version as opposed to a web view.
Funny you said that. In the last 4 months I never had any printed and today just send a full cd to print. I was missing that as well everybody here in the family.

I will get a huge ego booster from it also

04-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Unless you are planning to make money off of your photography, try to keep in perspective that it's not a challenge/competition (except with yourself ;-)) and should be free of the accompanying stress from the need to "produce".

One thing I've found is you have to have thick skin; there will be people who like the way you shoot and people who don't. Having said that, it's good to listen to those who don't for the sake of learning why and if there are things you can take away to improve your skills.

Another is to be bold and not be afraid to show your work; it goes along with my first point that that is the only way you will improve. Thanks to the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and other social sharing sites, I've gained quite a few fans at work who regularly look forward to my new posts so that they can download them as desktop backgrounds. Alas, maybe not the Louvre, but at least I know my stuff is being viewed and enjoyed. In fact, I just had a woman at work ask if I would consider doing some candid family portraits for her in return for some good Singaporean BBQ.

Lastly, as a hobby, unless you get bitten by serious LBA, it's actually one of the cheaper hobbies you can pick up. The initial investment of several hundred dollars or more might hurt, but over 3-5 years, you've easily provided yourself with hours of entertainment for very little cost (or at least that's what I keep telling myself... )

Cheers.
04-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Dom

I'm a pro tog and I take two types of photos.

1, to make money.
2, because I like the photo.

The two types are rarely the same.

What I'm trying to say is, take photos because you like to take photos, not because somebody else will. There will be other people out there who will like them but that's not the point. If your not happy with your work try something different.
Some of my favourite photos are crap but I like them.
04-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys!!

sorry for the negativity.

I am an artist in my profession (an animator) , I am getting payed by clients and have a very thick skin for critique.
I am also have a flicker page (on my signature here) and I am posting pictures on this forum almost every week.

the story of why I got so disappointed today is BC I submitted 4 photos a month ago.
2 got rejected after a week but the other two stayed there for another2 weeks.

I was very excited and made a deal with my self that if I will get in I will buy a new lens ... FA* 28-70

so now I have to give up on the lens ...

conclusion: DO NOT MAKE DEALS WITH YOURSELF ABOUT BUYING EXPENSIVE LENSES

04-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I was very excited and made a deal with my self that if I will get in I will buy a new lens ... FA* 28-70

so now I have to give up on the lens ...

conclusion: DO NOT MAKE DEALS WITH YOURSELF ABOUT BUYING EXPENSIVE LENSES
As Gus' sig tag says "Get what you want. Anything less makes you less happy."
04-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To boost my ego, I teach photography through the local Recreation Centre. When you have a dozen or so people who are wowed by your snap shots, it feels great! You also make some new photo minded friends.
04-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #10

Just added you as a contact on flickr; there's some great shots in your photostream. Don't worry about the PPG, they only accept sharp wildlife photos anyway
04-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

ISo far I submitted 7 of my favorite pictures to the PPG all of which got rejected...
Hey - you haven't even started yet! Do you realize how many rejections writers, musicians and other artists receive before they get published? Rejection is part of the game. Don't feel bad because seven pictures got rejected - feel good that you had seven pictures you felt worthy of submittal!

Now go out and shoot seven more - the odds are already leaning in your favor!
04-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #12

Print the best for your family

At my daughter's home in the kitchen are three photos of the beach from Victoria's west coast. I enlarged these to A4 and put them in simple frames: she loves them, and every time I visit, its a good feeling.

Very satisfying.
04-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll probably never submit my digital photos for review. Instead, I carry them on a USB drive and put them on my company computer as a screensaver, since I don't stay at the desk most of the time. I get laughs (I meant, comments), but I haven't had someone come up to me and ask about them yet.
04-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dropbear Quote
Just added you as a contact on flickr; there's some great shots in your photostream. Don't worry about the PPG, they only accept sharp wildlife photos anyway
Ha ! thanks man !! you have some fantastic shots your self there!!

see this is really why I started this thread

Thanks!

and thanks everybody! you all right!
04-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison