Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
100, 400 max if it's too noisy I can't sell it.
Then you have eliminated most newspapers and online news sources...the crap they publish is sometimes so noisy, it makes you wonder how anyone can brag about noise control at high ISO's. Some of the stuff in print and online is so grainy, it looks like it was shot in a snowstorm!

Jason

04-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm kind of odd in this, I suppose, I use a lot of the higher ISOs in general: I like the texture I get in monochrome that way... I haven't really developed a scheme on where which lower ISO is preferable, compared to other concerns, yet, and so far tend to go with similar to what film I'd choose or just crank it down all the way.

I'm very interested in impressions or information on this: I've seen Dpreview's static tests, but I'm more interested in subjective impressions: I'm often pretty sun-sensitive, so I mostly shoot in dimmer or flatter conditions when I can see better: (frankly, when it's very bright I'm usually kind of calculating where exposure ought to be rather than seeing it, leaving myself leeway, and hoping something good comes out of the digital wash) ... still don't have much of a sense of where the qualitative tradeoffs are.
04-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Then you have eliminated most newspapers and online news sources...the crap they publish is sometimes so noisy, it makes you wonder how anyone can brag about noise control at high ISO's. Some of the stuff in print and online is so grainy, it looks like it was shot in a snowstorm!

Jason
Just so, too, Jasvox. I admit I kind of come through and am more-basically-inclined to journalism and documentary types of photography... as I was about film, I kind of am about digital, ..why put the emphasis on trying to *hide* the fact it's a *photograph,* as long as it looks *like* a photograph, not a failed imitation of one?

I mean, 'noise' just doesn't much bother me. Unacceptable noise is just the penalty for poor exposure, mostly. As long as it doesn't look like a *malfunction* of some kind, let it look like a digital photograph. Whatever that may be.
04-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pretty much as low as low down is possible, man

And in dull, grey, washed out Britain - thats about ISO 1600 even in summer.

04-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't mind "luminous" noise (digital grain as it were) so much, but I abhor color noise, especially in the shadows.

Then again back in the day when you had to fine-tune your TV reception it drove me nuts to get snow on the tube too and I've been guilty of missing a show because I was dickering with the pots on the back of the set...
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rickn Quote
A couple of months back Pop Photo magazine had an article that suggested a few things to change to improve your photos. One was to up your "normal" ISO to 400. The logic was basically that modern sensors/processors do not loose much at this setting.

I've set my ISO at 400 since and enjoy the ability to use faster shutter speeds, especially when using a telephoto lens. If I need to shoot in low light I change back to ISO 100 or 200.

What is experience of some of the experts here on the Pentax Forums -- what ISO do you normally use?
Well I always stay as close to base ISO as I can get away with, regardless of camera used.

Unrelated I have a really hard time seeing the logic behind the suggestion that upping the ISO in general should improve your photos.
04-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #22

Original Poster
Duplo said "I have a really hard time seeing the logic behind the suggestion that upping the ISO in general should improve your photos." By using a higher ISO you can achieve either 1) a faster shutter speed, thus eliminating some blur from camera/lens movement, especially when using a long telephoto lens, or 2) the stop down the lens and get more depth of field into your photo.

The comments so far have been interesting -- easy to see that there is no simple, cover all answer.

04-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Jason
Most of the work I do at the moment is in my studio, so I've got the chose of ISO. If I'm out and about I'll have a pod with me. If I see a celebrity I leave them alone.

I do have some exceptional noise control software and algorithms. I don't see any point in making work for myself.

So yes the lower the better. When I use film it how low can I go.
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rickn Quote
By using a higher ISO you can achieve either 1) a faster shutter speed, thus eliminating some blur from camera/lens movement, especially when using a long telephoto lens, or 2) the stop down the lens and get more depth of field into your photo.
Both are true for specific situations, but if you do it in general, you will have a fair amount of situations where you loose a bit of IQ rather than the opposite.

that was my point
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Then again back in the day when you had to fine-tune your TV reception it drove me nuts to get snow on the tube too and I've been guilty of missing a show because I was dickering with the pots on the back of the set...

You and me both.

NTSC = Never Twice the Same Color

04-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I guess IS0 400 is my baseline, useable wide open indoors, and I don't top out the shutter speeds on sunny days. If I need speed, a 2 stop push to 1600 works way better than 800, even if it means I can't shoot outdoors for the rest of the roll.

I don't really shoot colour above ISO 160, though I had some good results recently with Portra 400 VC.
04-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said! Although I have been known to use auto-ISO at times.

Steve
Ditto Dat!
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

On the other hand, I do a *ton* of shooting in dark environments - jazz clubs, etc. I basically jump right to 1600 there. Rarely do I see a point to settings between 400 and 1600 - in those setting, given the choice between a little less noise and a faster shutter speed, shutter speed wins virtually every time.
You dont use flash, I presume?

How are your images whan it comes to noise at iso1600?
04-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #29
Inactive Account

ISO100 on my K20D, ISO400 on my (new) D700
max ISO values I use: 500 on K20D, 1600 on D700.

Quite a difference, uh ?
04-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

ISO 100 when using (external) flash indoors, otherwise it's auto ISO 100-800. Sometimes (when I can't use flash indoors, but need faster shutter) ISO 1000-1600.