Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Movie Stills Advice?

I've been assigned to be the movie stills photographer in my film class. I've never done that before and I was wondering if you had any tips.

04-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Check out this Wikipedia link; Movie stills photographer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not much there but it does provide a list of further reading that you could check out.
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As far as I know get to as near or copy the lens focal length and aperture and ASA of the film of the movie camera (for the shot they are taking) so that your stills would have the look as if it were taken off the film reel itself.
For every lens change for the movie camera itself you have to match it with your lens. Anyway, most of the lens they use are prime lenses.
You do this so that your exposure also matches the mood that the D.O.P. (Director of Photography or Cinematographer) tries to achieve and you also need not compesate for your exposure as the shot they are taking has also been measured by the D.O.P. for the coorect exposure with the light meter.
All the lights they provide is also your lights and remember..a noisy (shutter) camera is a "no-no" as it would be picked-up by the boom mic (if you have "live sound").
04-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
B&H Photo Representative

This can mean documenting prop placement, makeup, hair, costumes etc., in addition to what we all think of when we see movie ads in newspapers. While some of it can seem glamorous, there's plenty of relatively unglamorous, tedious work documenting what was done Monday so it can be duplicated accurately Tuesday.

05-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
This can mean documenting prop placement, makeup, hair, costumes etc., in addition to what we all think of when we see movie ads in newspapers. While some of it can seem glamorous, there's plenty of relatively unglamorous, tedious work documenting what was done Monday so it can be duplicated accurately Tuesday.
Well, this he has to do too if it is not just the "movie stills" per se but being assigned to the whole documentation itself.
What "is" assigned to him should be clear cut so he knows "what" exactly to shoot.