Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
BTW, here is a recital clip of me playing some guitar there at the JazzSchool:
YouTube - mikeSF - recital excerpts
Finally got around to checking it out - nice! And the Yardbird Suite clip even more so!

I use Finale for notation - I started doing this before there was a Sibelius, and haven't seen a reason to switch. "All Dudes" seems destined to become one of my more popular compositions (among other musicians and radio DJ's), BTW.

Thanks all for the kind words!

05-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #17
Forum Member

Marc, great tutorials and great shots. I know a few of those guys. I work down in the Springs doing sound for the AF jazz band (Falconaires). A few of those guys are up at Dazzles and other Denver venues all the time.

Thanks for your articles!
Dan
05-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Finally got around to checking it out - nice! And the Yardbird Suite clip even more so!

I use Finale for notation - I started doing this before there was a Sibelius, and haven't seen a reason to switch. "All Dudes" seems destined to become one of my more popular compositions (among other musicians and radio DJ's), BTW.

Thanks all for the kind words!
thanks for watching and for the info about the notation.
01-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #19

Thank you for making this tutorial!

Again, thank you! I've been shooting in some jazz events since 16th November 2012 (well, still quite recently going into shooting concert photos ) and been wandering around this forum looking for tutorials for shooting in this conditions. When I checked out your tutorial, it turned out that I have done many of what you told in it, except several things : telephoto lens usage and exposure control (not mere ISO/aperture/shutter speed control, yeah).

All this time, I usually use Pentax M 1:1.4 50 mm lens for shooting (which is definitely for its wide aperture). The lens however, isn't always enough for taking the band group photo, so after my first time taking photos in the event, I also took my kit lens DA 16-45 mm for taking group photo. Focusing, I think, is still quite a problem for me (although not as big as it was on my first time). While I think that I was getting better at focusing manually using the prime lens, it is sometimes just quite difficult for me focusing using the kit lens (oftentimes I got the background sharper than the group :'( ). I tried focusing manually using the kit lens, but it was a hit-and-miss attempt (in fact it is actually harder to focus manually with the kit, which makes me wonder now why did I do that anyway =_=).

Anyway though, for the ISO, I usually use ISO 800. Sometimes I use ISO 1100, but I tried to get used with ISO 800. Can't bear the noise on the higher ISO than 800 .

*errm* Do you think you can give any thought/critic/advice on my condition?

01-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Thank you Marc for posting this tutorial. This is a very interesting subject and thread indeed. Too bad I had not seen it a few months back, as it would've greatly helped me progress a lot faster in my photography. But as I read your tutorial, I realized I was actually doing a lot of this already.

I've been taking pictures since the age of 14, shooting with a film Nikkormat FT3 someone gave me when I was a teen. But I stopped taking pictures about 10-12 years ago. I recently decided it was time to get back in it so I bought my first DSLR, a K-5. I consider myself more of an amateur photographer and I don't plan on making a living out of photography. It's more out of passion that I do it. Music being at the center of my life, I decided I'd start shooting and document all the concerts and bands I go see. I recently started a blog were I post my best shots (see my signature below for the "Blogger" link). Making this blog has helped me a lot in the sense that it made me analyze my pictures, auto-critique my technique and choices, and in the end has helped me progress a lot. It's an ongoing process and I'm still far from the results I want to obtain. But I think I'm up to the challenge. I also think that concert photography is one of the hardest environment to shoot in, so it's the perfect school to learn and to become better.

Hopefully my blog will also help other photographers who share the same passion as me, concert photography. But in the end, there is no better school than to actually go out there and shoot as much as possible.

Take care -
Ben

Last edited by Into The Lens; 01-19-2013 at 12:41 PM.
01-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #21
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wish I found this thread earlier!
Just wanted to thank you for well written tutorial!
Perfect for beginner me
Will try with my 50mm F2 next time i visit the jazz clubs in Beijing

Cheers
Yos
01-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #22

Wow, this is a great tutorial. Thank you! Is it true that most indoor venues will require you to get permission before bringing in a SLR?

Regards,
Ross

01-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aw man you shot Kurt Elling ... no fair!