Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Concert Photography tutorials

Since I post a lot about concert photography and have learned a thing or two over the years, I thought I'd write up a tutorial of sorts. I had earlier posted one on equipment but now I've added one on technique:

Marc Sabatella: Concert Photography - Technique

Here is the one on equipment:

Marc Sabatella: Concert Photography - Equipment

But I can save you the trouble of reading it: if you're reading this, you've probably already got the right camera :-). Well, if you've got a Pentax DSLR, anyhow. Now just make sure you have fast lenses in whatever focal lengths you think you'll want (and if you have no idea, I suggest a range of short telephoto focal lengths - a 50-135 would be ideal for most people, although I personally prefer using a couple of primes in that range).

05-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thank you, Sir. I'll be sure to check those out. However, your post here brought up another question I have about event/concert photography.

Permission. Now, I know from going to a Yankee game that they allowed cameras with a general rule on lens length, cool.

However, I just got a couple Crosby Stills & Nash tickets for July 25th and the venue's policies which are for ballet, symphony orchestras and theater is, "No recording equipment or photography. Flash or no flash."

Now, CSN's policy with regard to "taping" is that they're "trader friendly" and allow audio recording.So, I doubt they'd mind photographs being taken.

So, how do you work this? Do you have press credentials or are you at the whim of the venue or artist's polices?

Regards,
Mike
05-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good question, but I have no good answer. Some places have no problems with cameras, some places flat out will not let you enter with anything they recognize as a camera (and for whatever reason, they don't recognize cellphones as cameras). I've never tried splitting hairs in the gray areas. You could try calling the venue, but the chances of talking to anyone who could give a definitive answer - and then having that answer actually be honored by the folks at the door when you get there - are pretty slim.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 05-02-2009 at 11:30 PM.
05-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Nice work Marc, leave this thread here for a couple of days and then if you PM me, I'll move it to the articles section where it will be easier to find in future.

05-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great answer, Marc.

Cells, yeah, can't some of those things record in 1080i with 7.1 Surround sound, by now? Lol.

I thought the the EXACT same thing, and I will call the venue and I will expect the person who answers my call to be clueless.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Good question, but I have no good answer. Some places have no problems with cameras, some places flat out will not let you enter with anything they recognize as a camera (and for whatever reason, they don't recognize cellphones as cameras). I've never tried splitting hairs in the gray areas. You could try calling the venu, but the chances of talking to anyone who could give a definitive answer - and then having that answer actually be honored by the folks at the door when you get there - are pretty slim.
05-03-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work Marc!
I go to a small theater/concert venue in my area and often wondered if it would be Ok to bring my camera to take pics. Since the artists are usually from outside the area I wasn't sure if I had to contact both the venue and the Artist to obatain pemission to shoot Pics?
05-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some venues flat out don't allow photography ever, some don't care ever. It *occasionally* happenes that a place that normally allows cameras will have an artist that specifically forbids this, but I've only had that happen a couple of times (showed up with my camera but they made a "no photography" announcement from the stage). But I mostly shoot in small clubs and artists that don't care. And of course, I'm talking about shooting from the audience - trying to get in the fornt where possible (and it often is), but there is also the whole issue of a "press pass" to get special access not available to normal folks. When I've shot in any kind of "official" capacity, I was approached about doing it, so I've never tried approaching a venue about getting a press pass. But apparently it's not all that hard, from what I've heard.

05-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Marc,

this is an excellent tutorial and I really enjoyed both articles. Now i at least have a clue what to do next time I head over to The JazzSchool to take some shots using my Tak 105/2.8 and M50/1.4.

...hmm...then, I will push my way to the front of the stage knocking over a drink or two and maybe a table. next,i'll stand front and center, blocking everyone's view and fire off a burst of continuous shots during the quiet passage in "Ceora" or "'Round Midnight". Oh, using flash of course. and i'll need a friend to wield a large reflector or two...y'know to get just the right light on the acoustic bass... And when i am shooting from the back of the venue, there is nothing wrong with shouting, "down in front!" if need be, eh?

But seriously, I did like your tip about setting the AF button for AF cancel and using AF to get initial focus, then hold the button to keep it from re-focusing. And I've also now learned to underexpose if necessary to get the right shutter speed, and then correct exp afterward in PP. This makes great sense and will surely come in handy.

great stuff. thanks.

Mike
05-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments - and it sounds like you've got the picture :-)

If you do find yourself shooting at The Jazzschool again, tell Susan Muscarella (the founder & executive director) I said hello. I studied piano with her back in the 80's (!) at Cal (UC Berkeley, for non Bay-Area-ites). I know a few other folks over there too.
05-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #10

Marc, I'm impressed
A nice tutorial to learn from, can't wait to try this stuff out.
05-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comments - and it sounds like you've got the picture :-)

If you do find yourself shooting at The Jazzschool again, tell Susan Muscarella (the founder & executive director) I said hello. I studied piano with her back in the 80's (!) at Cal (UC Berkeley, for non Bay-Area-ites). I know a few other folks over there too.
will do. last few times i shot pictures at the school was with a P&S, so it will be a new experience for me with the DSLR. BTW, here is a recital clip of me playing some guitar there at the JazzSchool:
YouTube - mikeSF - recital excerpts
05-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Ole
Administrator

That's a great article, Marc, thanks for sharing your wealth of experience!
05-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Since I post a lot about concert photography and have learned a thing or two over the years, I thought I'd write up a tutorial of sorts. I had earlier posted one on equipment but now I've added one on technique:

Marc Sabatella: Concert Photography - Technique

Here is the one on equipment:

Marc Sabatella: Concert Photography - Equipment

But I can save you the trouble of reading it: if you're reading this, you've probably already got the right camera :-). Well, if you've got a Pentax DSLR, anyhow. Now just make sure you have fast lenses in whatever focal lengths you think you'll want (and if you have no idea, I suggest a range of short telephoto focal lengths - a 50-135 would be ideal for most people, although I personally prefer using a couple of primes in that range).
Read it dude.

Awesome!

You are a Jazz musician and artist and photographer!

Wow!

You got all covered!

Can I call you Multitalented?

Thanks for all your help on this forum and I am impressed!

I am a Jazz lover myself.
05-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #14

Thanks for sharing that Mark. I've bookmarked those articles also. I'm planning on taking a few photos at an upcoming show and I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my camera to the K20D....
05-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Read it dude.

Awesome!

You are a Jazz musician and artist and photographer!

Wow!

You got all covered!

Can I call you Multitalented?

Thanks for all your help on this forum and I am impressed!

I am a Jazz lover myself.
his jazz composition is great too. marc, i printed a couple of your leadsheets of your original tunes (off your site) and am putting them into my sightreading practice stack - hope you dont mind. i love how clever your writing is ...enjoyed "All Dudes" and "Monks Got Rhythm", "Blue Honda", etc...
Do you use Finale for the notation? I use Sibelius and see that your jazz handwritten font is stylistically a little different than mine. the leadsheeets look terrific.