Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cornell Lab of Ornithology - it's a green light!

Received confirmation just this week:

Hi Marc,

Fabulous images! Since we do not have our image collection online (only audio and video at this time) you can’t look at what we have. People just write to me with a request and we look and see if we have it. We’d be happy to have any of your images in our collection. We have an FTP site that you can upload to if that’s easy for you.

Best,
Tammy

Tammy works in the Productions and Media Distribution at
Cornell Lab of Ornithology...

Cornell's
Productions and Media Distribution dept. ensures that for any image usage in publications, credit is given to the photographer. I consider this sort of involvement important to the education efforts as a whole in conservation, etc. What to pick for consideration...

Regards,
Marc

05-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Congratulations Marc. How about asking them where they have gaps and see if you can fill those first?
05-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Gary! I do plan to get that ball rolling as you suggest.

They do send out requests via a mailing list for their publications, so that helps. Unfortunately some are quite rare and limited to small locales, etc. Another example was for the last issue of BirdScope - they requested a Cerulean Warbler or Golden Crowned Warbler.

However, I am checking into a certain Arkansas research team opportunity...you'll have to guess...

Regards,
Marc
05-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Go big. Go for the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker

05-03-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Received confirmation just this week:

Hi Marc,

Fabulous images! Since we do not have our image collection online (only audio and video at this time) you can’t look at what we have. People just write to me with a request and we look and see if we have it. We’d be happy to have any of your images in our collection. We have an FTP site that you can upload to if that’s easy for you.

Best,
Tammy

Tammy works in the Productions and Media Distribution at
Cornell Lab of Ornithology...

Cornell's
Productions and Media Distribution dept. ensures that for any image usage in publications, credit is given to the photographer. I consider this sort of involvement important to the education efforts as a whole in conservation, etc. What to pick for consideration...

Regards,
Marc
Marc,
I have my work there.

Hint:
This is primarily for ornithologist not photographers. So they are very interested in getting pictures of birds in all their variations. For instance there are Red-tailed Hawks and there are Red-tailed Hawks dark phase and then Red-tailed, dark phase, SE USA hawks etc etc. They have tons of shots of Red-Tailed hawks but do they have the light phase - Mississippi delta variety? That sort of thing.

Or they might want a first spring shot of a male Kirkland's Warbler in breeding plumage etc. I think you get the idea.

If you do submit be very precise about time, place and habitat.

Finally this is for science not art so they may not find some shots that you like not all that useful for their purposes. A simple 90 degree flank shot works for them most of the time. Be as accurate as you can about WB and over-all color accuracy for obvious reasons.
05-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
Go big. Go for the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker

Thanks Toshi! Who said that.... ??
05-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Marc,
I have my work there.

Hint:
This is primarily for ornithologist not photographers. So they are very interested in getting pictures of birds in all their variations. For instance there are Red-tailed Hawks and there are Red-tailed Hawks dark phase and then Red-tailed, dark phase, SE USA hawks etc etc. They have tons of shots of Red-Tailed hawks but do they have the light phase - Mississippi delta variety? That sort of thing.

Or they might want a first spring shot of a male Kirkland's Warbler in breeding plumage etc. I think you get the idea.

If you do submit be very precise about time, place and habitat.

Finally this is for science not art so they may not find some shots that you like not all that useful for their purposes. A simple 90 degree flank shot works for them most of the time. Be as accurate as you can about WB and over-all color accuracy for obvious reasons.
Thank you Wildman - I can obviously see why your images are in their collection - your images are definitely top shelf! BTW, what is your first name?

I do have more than a few 90 flank shots, and I've noticed some of their collection that they rely on others to submit have images that could be in better focus, etc. so that's where I first wish to help out.

Regards,
Marc