Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2007, 03:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Gallery Rejects

QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be curious as to which pictures you submitted. I really enjoy your "Japan From the Driver's Seat" series of pictures. I think my two favorite pictures are Drop Down Menu & Bashful. Close runner ups are Stubborn, Daddy's Little Helper. Night Moves, Urban Decay, Yokohama 4 a.m., and Bike Ramp.
Thought I'd better do this in a new thread. Others please feel free to post your own rejects if you like. (Admins please move if this is in the wrong subforum).

Thanks for the kind comments. Here are the photos which Pentax turned down. Fortunately, I can recycle them to my Aminus3 photoblog:

All resized to max 600 width, with some resultant loss of quality

River

Easy to see why that one was rejected. It isn't particularly interesting.

Ducklings

That's the one they said wasn't sharp. They're right; it isn't.

Big Boys' Blocks

Close Order Drill

Urban Decay

Secure in his Manhood

04-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a little surprised by the 'Urban Decay' rejection. Maybe they thought the colors were moire?

(But all in all I think you have stronger photos on your site than the ones you submitted here. Perhaps you were trying to be too 'normal'?)
04-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was trying to severely restrict how much I GIMPed the images. Where I have no editor other than myself, I monkey with them as much as I please. Let's face it; as much as I like most of the photos on my site myself, not a one of them would pass muster on the Pentax Gallery.

I hope Riley drops by and sees that last one. I think he'll get a kick out of it.
04-19-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I happen to like some of the more heavily post-processed ones. Images like 'Symbols of Authority' are terrific.

You also have some really funny shots (or normal shots with funny titles). I like those, too.

04-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As I said elsewhere, I believe that sharpness is sometimes overrated. "Symbols" would have been an awful photo if I had left it as it was.

And I live for the funny shots.
04-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

some of my rejects.

I guess they just don't like my style.. The ones they selected were no better, I would say a fair bit worse. but who knows what they want?

P.S. Mike I am shocked they rejected your "Urban Decay" but as I said I don't get their selection criteria?

Last edited by joele; 04-19-2007 at 05:58 AM.
04-19-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And nothing I shoot holds a candle to any of your rejects. If those can't get in, I'm wasting my time even trying.

A question, if I may..... You didn't submit them with the framing around them, did you?

04-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

nope I submitted the originals (no frames) with exif intack and all only 600 pixels high.. Just as the instructions state..

Of the 20 I submitted (I was only accepted last week) only 3 got through (these were some of the rejects I had on hand)... I am not sure what to do now, I have submitted my next 20, but if they all get rejected too, I might give up. I want the pictures I think best show my style to represent me.. I don't think that is wrong? Besides I have plenty of pics on pentax.com.au (I might just prepare more for them and forget about pentaxgallery)...

Thanks for the kind words by the way..

Last edited by joele; 04-19-2007 at 06:53 AM.
04-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Fun topic. By the way, that's me and my car in the reflection

04-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

cwaters - nice rejects ;-)

Hey I got 6 out of 16 through this time, obviously this reviewer liked me better LOL.. And much more importantly this time (different person?) they actually gave me reasons for each of the ones they declined.. The comments have given me a much better idea of what they like...

Last edited by joele; 04-19-2007 at 02:50 PM.
04-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Joele, where did they post the comments? I've submitted nearly 40 and only had 5 accepted, but never any reasons given.
04-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I never had mine commented with the rejected ones.

The ones rejected were mostly the better ones

My rejected ones include a few here

I am used to feel rejected ...

I guess time will tell what they are looking for...
04-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
.......And I live for the funny shots.
So keep posting them for us. They're great.
04-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justuspr Quote
Joele, where did they post the comments? I've submitted nearly 40 and only had 5 accepted, but never any reasons given.
Where it says "declined" under the image. Mine said things like "Declined - distracting background" etc...
04-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Secure in his Manhood

Ha! Love the title of this one. Some nice shots here and more in your galleries. Keep trying - including the ones that have more processing.

PS I like the symbols shot as well - but while sharpness is overrated, this one looked just a little too blurry for me.