Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #1

Why one should switch from Canon to Pentax?

Assuming it is allowed, here is an interesting thread on Canon Forums about switching to Pentax. An interesting read indeed. This is probably the fist time I have seen two brands being discussed objectively without any flame war.

Should I switch to Pentax? - Canon Digital Photography Forums

PS: If posting link to other forum, is against the rule, my apologies please delete the thread.

05-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I switched...
05-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I read through the first page...lots of misinformation and not really ignorance...but "unknowingness" if that works?

Like...the K20's latest firmware update made SR better. So...we don't need to buy new lenses to benefit from updates

Oh yeah, I made the switch too
05-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of insightful comments on that post.
As well as some ?ignorance which could just be biased opinions.
Quite a few people thought Pentax won't be viable for much longer.
We'll wait and see about that.
The K-7's already stirred up more interest than I've seen from the K10D or K20D since I've followed the forums...

05-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
Forum Member

I hold a ton of respect for both Pentax and Canon. For me it is important to be able to use all my old lenses. Just my .02
05-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rhizo Quote
I hold a ton of respect for both Pentax and Canon. For me it is important to be able to use all my old lenses. Just my .02
Agreed...that was pretty much my #1 reason to switch to Pentax cause of the goodies like SR and focus confirm.

Although I kind of want to add a 40D or 5D to the mix so I can use other lenses instead of just K and M42....but they would all be old lenses too
05-12-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

POTN as well as Fredmiranda.com are pretty "mature" camera forums -- I can't imagine how this discussion would've turned out on dpreview

05-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
emr

The discussion over there was surprisingly calm, neutral and constructive. And as I've personally bought into Pentax without as profound research as some buyers seem to do prior to their purchase, it was also somewhat enlighting to me wrt the strengths and weaknesses of different brands.
05-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting read. Lots of 'guesses' about Pentax and many that seem to ask 'Pent..who" like they just discovered the brand or at least the current line up.

I sorta switched as well. Carried dual systems for awhile and finally stuck with one. Almost bought a Canon when Pentax took forever to launch a DSLR. Legacy glass is still killer....