Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
When I take a picture...I don't edit it...except for the very occasional cropping. Other then that I don't try to sharpen, blend one photo to another...do any other digital 'darkroom' tricks.

I do this because I have a belief...not a strong one, but it's there... that you shouldn't 'manufacture' a picture.

Maybe I'm just not creative, but I take pictures of what I see and like. I try to edit out the extraneous stuff that doesn't contribute to the picture in my mind's eye. I've been doing this for so long...that now I find my 'mind's eye' is pretty fast.

Not all my pictures are perfect of course...but I'm generally happy with many of them.

What do you do ?
Agree on not manufacturing a picture.
Giving poor optics a little nudge to look better, sometimes.
But i will pull all the stops to save one of a kind, that is messed up, like anyone would.

Cheers. Mike.
edit: gave up on reading all the reply's, started to induce a head ache, so replied as to op`s original ,,,

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 05-14-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Because.
05-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

To me, photography is a process. Subject, location, light, composition then press the shutter, 50% done. Then the other 50% is all post, sharpening, vignetting, B&W conversion, tone, burning, etc, then the image is complete. If my photo was left after pressing the shutter, my vision would be unseen and the photo's potential would be wasted.
05-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I will do everything I can to achieve the image I want.
I refuse to impose artificial restrictions upon myself that might prevent me from achieving that goal.

How does manipulating an image differ from manipulating your coffee by adding sweetener and cream or altering your Big Mac by slathering it with ketchup?

However I draw the line at altering an image to falsify the truth where the truth is essential.

Photography is not a religion. One does not sin by availing oneself of either darkroom or computer manipulation or by artificially lighting a subject.

I consider the camera just one tool among several in obtaining my desired result.

In my darkroom days I could burn or dodge an image or use toner or bleach or change the enlarger exposure or alter the contrast.

I appreciate the great freedom and ease that computer manipulation offers me and will not deny myself those benefits for silly self imposed "moral" limitations.

Mickey