Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Well....that's sufficiently condescending.
My work here is done.

05-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In a purely rational, emotionless world, you are correct.

In this world, where your core customers are people who enjoy the taking of pictures as much as they enjoy the pictures themselves - who hold onto their SP-F's, K2's, K2DMD's and MESupers, and debate endlessly on the internet the relative merits of each - if those were your core customersI fit into that group...perfectly...Pentaxian since 1968. you might be inclined, just for the nostalgic attachment (pun intended) to put the old lugs on your stainless steel and magnesium body.
For practical reasons..also looks..I like the old style lugs rather than the flat deals on my K10D and KM. I could flip the camera down easier as I'm walking with it easier and it would stay flipped downward (lens pointing to the ground) with the old style lugs.

I flip the camera , lens pointing downward to keep from scratching the LCD.

Last edited by lesmore49; 05-23-2009 at 09:08 AM.
05-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dude, get real. It can shift the sensor to help you compose. That's enough reason for me to buy one. Not that I'd ever use the feature, but I can brag about it. Just like Ferrari owners.
05-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I like the old style lugs rather than the flat deals on my K10D and KM.
The old style lugs make it easier to affix straps that don't get tangled on themselves.
I've never thought that the flat strap lugs were an improvement, about all they do is keep the camera from getting those little scratches from the rings.

05-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Dude, get real. It can shift the sensor to help you compose. That's enough reason for me to buy one. Not that I'd ever use the feature, but I can brag about it. Just like Ferrari owners.
Ok, let's take the K-7 specs and count the useful new features:

- small well built body
- .92X 100% view finder
- 5 fps
- better high ISO*
- better AF*

* remains to be seen how much better

Every thing else is fluff. Fluffy stuff that wouldn't make you upgrade from a K10D/K20D. The K-7 is a huge step forward for Pentax, but it's more of a marketing triumph than a technological one. And I mean this as a compliment; for too long Pentax had no clue how to market this stuff -- with the K-7 they are offering a truly unique DSLR.
05-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote

- small well built body
- .92X 100% view finder
- 5 fps
- better high ISO*
- better AF*

Every thing else is fluff. Fluffy stuff that wouldn't make you upgrade from a K10D/K20D. The K-7 is a huge step forward for Pentax, but it's more of a marketing triumph than a technological one. And I mean this as a compliment; for too long Pentax had no clue how to market this stuff -- with the K-7 they are offering a truly unique DSLR.
Have you ever used a K10D?

If you answer "yes" then you would note that the K-7 is a HUGE improvement over the K10 I could list the K10 specs next to the K-7's you posted if you'd like
05-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Features Comparison K10 - K20 - K-7

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

If you answer "yes" then you would note that the K-7 is a HUGE improvement over the K10 I could list the K10 specs next to the K-7's you posted if you'd like
Ole did that HERE - very easy to compare spreadsheet form.

The K-7 has extensive improvements - especially at this price point. I am having real difficulty understanding anything negative people post about this camera at this price.

Unless they had unrealistic expectations.
05-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The old style lugs make it easier to affix straps that don't get tangled on themselves.
I've never thought that the flat strap lugs were an improvement, about all they do is keep the camera from getting those little scratches from the rings.
What I want - and have NEVER been able to find - are those leather bits that you place over the lugs before you attache the split ring - they protect the body from the ring.

I don't even know what they are called.

I finally bought a body on ebay that had them attached and took it to my local B&M shop. The counter guy was bemused - he'd never seen them before.

One of the K-7 pics somewhere on one of the websites (I think one of the Pentax sites) has them on it, so I know they exist.

05-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Coping with age

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
For practical reasons..also looks..I like the old style lugs rather than the flat deals on my K10D and KM. I could flip the camera down easier as I'm walking with it easier and it would stay flipped downward (lens pointing to the ground) with the old style lugs.

I flip the camera , lens pointing downward to keep from scratching the LCD.
Yes, I understand perfectly. I do have the removeable LCD protectors on both LCD's - $15 for three sets is pocket change..

I have started wearing the strap on my (left) shoulder, with the lens pointed INWARD and toward the front. This has the added benefit of keeping a long lens from striking things as I walk by them. I still raise the camera with the strap around my shoulder. Since I shoot left-eye now (see below) I wind the strap around my LEFT hand if I remove the strap from my shoulder to shoot. If I carry it by the grip I carry it with the strap would around my right hand. These are easy habits to form, if done purposefully.

All these changes will be easier with the traditional strap lugs and triangular split rings!!

I have an early-onset, advanced case of glaucoma and have lost most of my peripheral visual acuity in my right eye, and some in my left. I can do everything I need to do, including taking photographs, as long as I learn coping mechanisms to compensate for the loss of peripheral vision - driving while constantly moving my eyes to the right; scanning the full computer screen to find the mouse pointer; stopping at the top of stairs to actually look DOWN at the step; and using a classic +2 slip-on diopter correction lens to magnify the VF image are examples of coping mechanisms.

Learning to shoot left-eye also has helped, but I am amazed at how much harder it is to use the back buttons with my face over there. I now shoot with my body facing 45 degrees to the right and my head cocked left to the view. This opens up the right side of the back of the camera so I can get my thumb in there.

I've found this also give me a much more stable stance and with breath control I can take Hand held shots that I never could before - sometimes bad news yields good outcomes if yoou look for them
05-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #40
Pentaxian

The K-7 has extensive improvements - especially at this price point. I am having real difficulty understanding anything negative people post about this camera at this price.

At this point, I don't think there is any point in Pentax making a foray into the ubercam market. It's just too sewn up by the big boys. The decision to go smaller is very sound, the ability to pack into it what they have packed into it is quite an amazing feat.
There are features on this camera that cost real money to produce. 100% viewfinders are very expensive, as they have to be individually checked and shimmed in to ensure they are accurate. The framerate increase will give the camera a welcome increase in responsiveness to the people who appreciate this sort of thing, and it will also be appreciated by the people who just like to snap off a bunch of pictures in the hope of getting something nice.
Hopefully the AF is improved to the point that it is up to the frame rate.

It's positioned far enough away from the K20 that it could actually be left in the line as a lower cost alternative if they decide to do that (I don't think they will).

The only hair in the soup is that they didn't put in a shutter with a 1/250 second sync speed, but for most people, this won't be a deal breaker, and even for the people who need it, most will be able to work around it.

If this camera performs as well as it's specifications make it look like it will, it should be very satisfactory to most any camera user.
05-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #41

I used the K10D exclusively for a year, actually, and I liked it a lot. The five features I listed are the big improvements (if going from the K10D I would also add AF micro adjustments). And that's my point; the features I *didn't* list are the fluffy ones that wouldn't make me upgrade.

I agree with Wheatfield; Pentax's marketing department did a fine job of positioning the K-7. There is no sense in competing with Canon and Nikon at the very top end. Therefore, offer a camera that the competition won't or can't. People who need the D700 or 5D MkII won't be swayed by the K-7, but potential 50D or D90 users will be very tempted.

Last edited by twinda1; 05-24-2009 at 01:10 PM.
05-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Oops, I misread your earlier post...my bad
05-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
O.P. appears to fit this definition:

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
05-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Having a K10D currently, yes there is one thing that I'm disappointed about. But that in no way means that there doesn't seem to be a great improvement even over the K20D.
05-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote

- small well built body
- .92X 100% view finder
- 5 fps
- better high ISO*
- better AF*

It is the presence of pentax rumour forums that gave that huge exposure on this topic without huge crowd from another brand coming in to stuff around...