Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
As long as we're whining here, I'll throw in that I'm happy the K7 has video because that's a feature I can definitely use. I'd much rather it had video than auto-focus, built-in flash, mulitple fps, any of the program or auto modes, or auto WB. Nor do I need it to accept an add-on grip. Yet I realize that for every one of those features, there is someone out there for whom that feature is the most important thing. All the camera designers can do is try to make something that pleases the majority of their target audience. I think the K7 will do that pretty well.
Quite frankly, I have to wonder about the reading ability of anyone who doesn't see this camera as a huge step forwards for Pentax. They've made some very real, and very big improvements over the K20, and they've managed to do it and buck the trend towards bloated camera bodies at the same time.

05-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Undoubtedly

QuoteOriginally posted by dcreed Quote
Anyone else disappointed by the K7?
As they say, you can't please all the people all the time.
The K-7 look like a step forward to me. I probably won't use HD video, but a smaller, lighter, faster version of the K20D, with lower, high ISO, noise will fit in my bag nicely. Can't wait.
05-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I use a K10D and K20D -- and an istDL every so often -- and can't see any reason to upgrade

Then don't upgrade. Nothing is forcing you to.

to this high-end, consumer-level thing with the main feature being HD video.

Wow. "consumer-level thing" You really do not see where this fits in the market do you?

I've never been all that impressed with cameras that take 5 frames per second because, well, I'd rather than 1 good shot every minute rather than just banging away and hoping there's a good shot in there.

Then set your drive mode to one frame. simple. Alot of people NEED high frame rates. Just because you don't, does not make the camera any less.

Studio strobes don't cycle that fast anyway.

Maybe you should get out of the studio and have a look at the people that shoot sports, action etc. Not everyone is a studio shooter.

I shoot pictures, not video. No desire to shoot video. (Anyone done the math of how much HD video will fit on a 8GB card?) My wife has a damn good video camera, and I'll leave that to her.

You will be hard pressed to find a camera in the next 3 years that does not include video. You should also understand that that your wife's video cam will not shoot with the DOF control, or the low light ability of a DSLR. Theyare not the same tool. Again, just don't use the feature.

I was really hoping that Pentax would announce a camera with a full-frame sensor and lenses to match.

Did you miss Pentax saying "there will be no FF soon"? If you need FF now, then you need to change systems.

If Pentax is gonna stick with this APS-C sensor and consumer market, maybe I'd better just sell my 20 years' worth of Pentax products and switch to another brand.

Please do. Just tell me what you think would make you happy? Sony A900, nope toy strap lugs. 5d mkii, aww crap. Video. D700, toy strap lugs again! Please sell you gear! Its time to go back to film for you.

Or just go back to using my 645 medium-format film camera.

Okay, the toy strap mounts on the K7 annoy me, too.
whine, whine, whine...
05-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Will it ever end?

I was really hoping that Pentax would announce a camera with a full-frame sensor and lenses to match. If Pentax is gonna stick with this APS-C sensor and consumer market, maybe I'd better just sell my 20 years' worth of Pentax products and switch to another brand.
I swear, if I live to be a thousand, on that day, I will read someone whining about FilmFrame. Not only are all your film lenses obsolete, all non-DA or DFA lenses are. Also, even non-WR DA's are on the list. The resell prices for all your old lenses just took a serious nosedive yesterday. Get out now while you can still get some pennies on the dollar for them.

05-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
I swear, if I live to be a thousand, on that day, I will read someone whining about FilmFrame. Not only are all your film lenses obsolete, all non-DA or DFA lenses are. Also, even non-WR DA's are on the list. The resell prices for all your old lenses just took a serious nosedive yesterday. Get out now while you can still get some pennies on the dollar for them.
Are you being serious or trying to score a good deal? Cause the K-7 still supports old lenses...every single one of em
05-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote

Pennies on the dollar? Let's start with yours.

Dibs.
05-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Also, btw, if you want to pose as a Pentax person, helps not to say 'your' stuff a lot.

Also not being a drama queen would help you blend in.

I can just see a spate of 'I'm a Nikon, I'm a Pentax' spoofey commercials coming of this.

(No, I don't work for Pentax, I just like to think I have a conciliatory nature. But will invent for glass. Not too proud. )

05-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I use a K10D and K20D -- and an istDL every so often -- and can't see any reason to upgrade to this high-end, consumer-level thing with the main feature being HD video. I've never been all that impressed with cameras that take 5 frames per second because, well, I'd rather than 1 good shot every minute rather than just banging away and hoping there's a good shot in there. Studio strobes don't cycle that fast anyway.

I shoot pictures, not video. No desire to shoot video. (Anyone done the math of how much HD video will fit on a 8GB card?) My wife has a damn good video camera, and I'll leave that to her.

I was really hoping that Pentax would announce a camera with a full-frame sensor and lenses to match. If Pentax is gonna stick with this APS-C sensor and consumer market, maybe I'd better just sell my 20 years' worth of Pentax products and switch to another brand. Or just go back to using my 645 medium-format film camera.

Okay, the toy strap mounts on the K7 annoy me, too.
Sounds to me that with your type of photography, you might be happier with buying a used Pentax 6 X 7 film camera. The negative size will dwarf your 645 and the pictures I would think will be better than any FF Nikon or Canon.

I've used a Pentax 6 X 7 in the past, been very happy with it..it seems to suit your slower style of taking time for composition...studio shots, etc.

That's my recommendation. Oh..try to get one with a rosewood handle...nicest camera handle..ever...IMO.
05-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Give your head a shake and show the advanced photographers who drive this stuff forward some respect.
Well....that's sufficiently condescending.
05-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

*doubletake, seeing something in a quote.*

'Toy strap mounts?'

Gimme your toys!

Seriously, a proper machined lug is *more* 'serious' than a slot cut out of flat stock.

Does anyone else feel like we're caught up in some info-wars where some companies have discovered they could pay someone by the word to slag on whatever they can come up with?

*boggling.* Could be like a new slogan for Pentax.

"Pentax: Cause You Already Get Laid."

(But not by me. Keep walkin'. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-22-2009 at 02:11 PM.
05-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Does anyone else feel like we're caught up in some info-wars where some companies have discovered they could pay someone by the word to slag on whatever they can come up with?
If you are Oly or Sony, aren't you looking over your shoulder?

If you are Canon or Nikon, how many units does the loss of 2 points of market share equal (about 100,000 units between the two, and they are high-end, profitable units).

I'd bet not 6 months ago they thought Pentax was dead.

Now they have a serious competitor, with serious primes, 2 hits in 2 years and building serious momentum.

If I were "corporate market research" (spies) I'd assign an intern to make up new User Profiles on these sites and post negatives all day.

And I'm not a marketing type - if I thought of it . . . .
05-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Guess so, Monochrome. It certainly doesn't seem to be in any photographer's interest to encourage the people who make what we must pick our gear from to try to turn it into some kind of winner-takes-all horse race.

Competition is *good* for we who use still in part mechanical devices. Two big companies can compete at the same thing and define 'what the consumer wants.'

If there's a third, then there'll be a fourth and a fifth, and different things will start happening, whether or not the mas market says it's maximaly-profitable.

It's good for *all* of us if a company makes something nice. In fact, say, Nikon probably *had* to grudgingly make a consumer normal prime just *cause* of Pentax.

Certainly pretty ridiculous when it gets to the level of criticizing Pentax for making old brass&glass style strap lugs that can take a ring of whatever shape or diameter you see fit and never ever break, then they call em 'toys.'

The flat-stock kind are adequate, too, but tend to want to abrade even the best strap. ....in all my years of dealing with broken cameras, I only ever saw one of those broken by something that'd smash the rest up, too. Seen em fall out or get loose, if someone wasn't really trying, though.

Silly. The old style would probably be the last thing to go if the camera got nuked.
05-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

In my opinion, anyone who bases his or her decision of what camera to buy based on strap lugs, shutter sound or even the model name is not a photographer...or even a wannabe.

But that's just my opinion, right?

Jason
05-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Yeah, Jasvox, that's kind of the thing with any company: reps are reps, but there's always, 'What have you done for me lately.'
05-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
In my opinion, anyone who bases his or her decision of what camera to buy based on strap lugs, shutter sound or even the model name is not a photographer...or even a wannabe.

But that's just my opinion, right?

Jason
In a purely rational, emotionless world, you are correct.

In this world, where your core customers are people who enjoy the taking of pictures as much as they enjoy the pictures themselves - who hold onto their SP-F's, K2's, K2DMD's and MESupers, and debate endlessly on the internet the relative merits of each - if those were your core customers you might be inclined, just for the nostalgic attachment (pun intended) to put the old lugs on your stainless steel and magnesium body.