Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #1

Disappointed by the K7

Anyone else disappointed by the K7?

I use a K10D and K20D -- and an istDL every so often -- and can't see any reason to upgrade to this high-end, consumer-level thing with the main feature being HD video. I've never been all that impressed with cameras that take 5 frames per second because, well, I'd rather than 1 good shot every minute rather than just banging away and hoping there's a good shot in there. Studio strobes don't cycle that fast anyway.

I shoot pictures, not video. No desire to shoot video. (Anyone done the math of how much HD video will fit on a 8GB card?) My wife has a damn good video camera, and I'll leave that to her.

I was really hoping that Pentax would announce a camera with a full-frame sensor and lenses to match. If Pentax is gonna stick with this APS-C sensor and consumer market, maybe I'd better just sell my 20 years' worth of Pentax products and switch to another brand. Or just go back to using my 645 medium-format film camera.

Okay, the toy strap mounts on the K7 annoy me, too.

05-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Without the K-7, you will see no Pentax FF! n/t

No text no text

QuoteOriginally posted by dcreed Quote

I use a K10D and K20D -- and an istDL every so often -- and can't see any reason to upgrade to this high-end, consumer-level thing with the main feature being HD video. I've never been all that impressed with cameras that take 5 frames per second because, well, I'd rather than 1 good shot every minute rather than just banging away and hoping there's a good shot in there. Studio strobes don't cycle that fast anyway.

I shoot pictures, not video. No desire to shoot video. (Anyone done the math of how much HD video will fit on a 8GB card?) My wife has a damn good video camera, and I'll leave that to her.

I was really hoping that Pentax would announce a camera with a full-frame sensor and lenses to match. If Pentax is gonna stick with this APS-C sensor and consumer market, maybe I'd better just sell my 20 years' worth of Pentax products and switch to another brand. Or just go back to using my 645 medium-format film camera.

05-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

if it bothers you so much, then maybe you should change brands...and make sure with that you ultimately choose, the strap mounts have the "wow" factor.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Jason
05-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/60909-here-they-come.html

05-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it has every feature i was hoping for, and then some.
05-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nope, not disappointed at all. If PENTAX isnt making what you need, maybe its time tomove one, just remember to post your gear for sale here first... thanks.
05-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
are you so sure that the only thing that parts the k20d and the K-7 is some kind of a video mode..? ..
I've been pretty passive and reluctant to speculate the features. but what I see mostly attractive about the K-7 is the build quality..
magnesium alloy body and a steel chassis .. that is just brutal..
and maintaining the same lens mount is desirable, to be able to use the same magnificent lenses.. not to have to bother to buy expensive FF lenses and rebuild all our equipment stock .. that is good..
I for one was prepared to be disappointed with it even at first glance.. but I'm not. I actually think I might buy me one of these someday, sooner than later..
I don't think much about all the computing features and such, for I think one can do mostly anything and everything with any Dslr if mind is put into it.
I think about the whole package.. and build quality is the biggest "feature" I see as of now.. and I'm only beginning..

05-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

I'd better just sell my 20 years' worth of Pentax products and switch to another brand. Or just go back to using my 645 medium-format film camera.
I'd just go back to the 645, or better yet get a 4x5 or 8x10 view camera and a Tango drum scanner
05-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've never been all that impressed with cameras that take 5 frames per second because, well, I'd rather than 1 good shot every minute rather than just banging away and hoping there's a good shot in there. Studio strobes don't cycle that fast anyway.

That's what's getting the headlines in the gadget blogs. But just think of what fuss there'd be if the burst rate were under 5. We'd be hearing nothing but complaining. So consider that feature not for its usefulness to you but by the amount it cuts down on whining.

Then consider the other things: 100% viewfinder, reduced size and weight (or, if you like bigger — more controls on a grip which allows AA batteries), actually useful LCD size and resolution, better metering (77 segments), faster AF (including a new sensor which adjusts focus for tungsten light), less noise, etc., etc., etc.

This is a camera designed for still photography, with a lot of great new features aimed squarely at that use.

Ahhh, here we go. You were being unreasonable in your expectations, and now you're disappointed that they weren't met. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but Pentax reps have been repeating for the last several years that they are totally committed to APS-C. The lens lineup proves it. If you want bigger, there will be the 645D — at least if it sells well enough in Japan, and as RH insinuates, as long as the K-7 sells well enough in the rest of the world.
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
Inactive Account

The more I read up on it, the more I'm interested in upgrading although I keep telling myself I'll wait until the K7.x version comes out.

The size is very attractive, no doubt. I don't shoot with giant zooms so a smaller, full featured body is a huge draw. 5.2 FPS gives us some cover when sneered on by the Canikon crowd (like I really care anyway), and there are some good additions (again, who cares if the other folks have had them first or not, the fact is we have them now) like the AF assist, the auto leveler (probably overrated), and the overall design. Reading through the Japanese site on the story behind the K7 design, you can't help but get excited when you read about how the design team went back to the drawing board to figure out how to carry on the LX legacy yet cram so many things into the body.

My only beef? The bloody grip is pretty darn expensive!
05-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Just because it doesn't suit you does not mean it doesn't suit others. Geez, 1 shot a minute - you're not going to get as many good shots during a game of rugby are you? Okay so you may not do that, but others do.
05-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Personally, although it´s not really part of the SLR essence, I´d sooner have video than full-frame. The moments when I consider video to capture a scene better than good still photography are few & far between but they´re there. The moments when I feel FF would capture a scene better than APS-C are non-existent.

I fail to see how anyone with reasonable expectations could fail to be satisfied, even impressed (or blown away for that matter) by the specs that the K7 is touting. HD video will headline but it´s one of the minor upgrades from the K20D. Far more important are the changes that affect the still photography.
05-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #13

I do not do video, but will love to buy a K7 for it's large vierfinder coverage, live view mode, more precise meter, and auto focus assitant light. One major complaint for k10d or k20d for me is hard to do manual focus. K7 will be a big leap ahead to play manual lens.

Of course, full frame is everyone's dream, and I am ready to pay the cost. K7 gives me a good hope that Pentax is still able to listen to users and adapt new technology but also taking care of old lens owners.
05-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
That's what's getting the headlines in the gadget blogs. But just think of what fuss there'd be if the burst rate were under 5. We'd be hearing nothing but complaining. So consider that feature not for its usefulness to you but by the amount it cuts down on whining.
What's with you people? If it wasn't for people demanding higher end features do you really think Pentax would have bothered improving the performance?
Give your head a shake and show the advanced photographers who drive this stuff forward some respect.
05-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as we're whining here, I'll throw in that I'm happy the K7 has video because that's a feature I can definitely use. I'd much rather it had video than auto-focus, built-in flash, mulitple fps, any of the program or auto modes, or auto WB. Nor do I need it to accept an add-on grip. Yet I realize that for every one of those features, there is someone out there for whom that feature is the most important thing. All the camera designers can do is try to make something that pleases the majority of their target audience. I think the K7 will do that pretty well.