Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Right. So you can react and recompose in a fraction of a second, so much so that the difference between 3fs and 5fps matters? Pull the other one.

Or maybe it is really all about machine gunning and hoping for the good image? Please don't try to tell me people don't do this -- I have seen it too often. I am sure that more fps will mean more chances to capture the right image for such shooters. That's just basic logic. But no, it's not my style and I don't rate it that highly among photographic techniques.
3fps vs 5fps is almost double the rate, it will mean shorter mirror blackout (and thus helping AF to be ready faster for the next frame) and the ability to take more pictures of a sequence of action. I know that Great Photographers (tm) wait the exact moment to take the pictures but the truth is that there are a lot of situations where you just can't really anticipate the action and having more fps will get you more potential keepers.

05-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Sounds like a number of folks in this forum are very pleased with the specs of the K7. I'm sure it's a terrific camera in itself. I just don't at the moment see it as a must-have upgrade for someone like me who has a K20D with plenty of life in it yet. What am I missing (if anything)?

Will
I'm in the same boat. I was hoping for a FF upgrade, and maybe it will come sometime. I've got an istDL, a K10D, and a K20D and don't see the K-7 as a necessary step...um...sideways. Seems like the K20D's slightly more talented little brother but it has talents that don't really appeal to me.

I rarely shoot where FPS is an issue. (I shoot some sports, but I know the game and know when to shoot, so a couple FPS are good enough.) Live View was the first thing I turned off on my K20D. Wife's got a good video camera. I rarely use the display except to check histograms.

I'm glad to see they put a sync port on the K-7 which they seemed to forget prior to the K20D.

- Dave
05-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The advantage of a higher frame rate is not all about the extra couple of frames per second.
This is a true measure of camera responsiveness.
A high frame rate camera will have shorter mirror black out times, will be ready to shoot another frame faster and should have less shutter lag than a slower frame rate camera.
These are very real advantages for people who want the camera to be ready, willing and able because of their photography style, and will be more of an advantage to someone who pushes the button at the right time than it will be to someone who pushes the button and hopes to get something.
Agreed! Couldn't have stated it better - the importance of camera responsiveness is a big deal for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
3fps vs 5fps is almost double the rate, it will mean shorter mirror blackout (and thus helping AF to be ready faster for the next frame) and the ability to take more pictures of a sequence of action. I know that Great Photographers (tm) wait the exact moment to take the pictures but the truth is that there are a lot of situations where you just can't really anticipate the action and having more fps will get you more potential keepers.

Second ManuH's post...

Not to nay say anyone's post about FPS and responsive not being important: it's important for me, but not necessarily for everyone else. If it's good for your needs, buy it! I am very curious to try out the HDR functionality too. If I didn't do any wildlife photography, perhaps the K-7 would not be on my list of "must haves". If the K-7 is not what you want or need, stay the course and wait for the next round. Ultimately the photographer is the most important part of the equation - anticipating the action or moment correctly. Increased FPS & responsiveness is important - shorter mirror blackout can be a big deal when following action or continuing to frame/compose a moving subject correctly. It may not improve your chance of getting that shot, but it sure helps the odds of getting a higher keeper rate.

For me, it's worth the feature set and price, given it's specs on paper. My lens lineup is top notch, so I believe it's going to be a winning combination. Based on feedback from folks who have handled it, it's what I have wanted for a while in Pentax!! Of course this is just my perspective on the matter.

Regards,
Marc
05-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

I am glad to see you didn't refute any part of my post. Merely responded with insults... true to your usual form.
I've refuted your post in previous posts. Since you can't read, I didn't figure the insult would bother you.

05-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've refuted your post in previous posts. Since you can't read, I didn't figure the insult would bother you.
This is great. I don't even have to present an argument. I can just watch you bury yourself.
05-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #36

The reduced size is also greatly exaggerated. It's only 50g lighter, for goodness sake.
I don't know about that, this comparison (looks to be to scale), makes the K-7 look tiny. But not only is it the smallest, it has a huge feature set.

I'm very excited for the K-7. Now if I only won the lottery...
05-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Because is lucky!

- 77 seals, 77 segments, K-7:

"Seven is seen as a lucky number in many cultures. Japanese mythology talks of Shichifukujin (The Seven Gods of Fortune). ... In Ian Fleming's novel You Only Live Twice 007 appears briefly as 7777." (and many other reasons there).

"Chinese culture considers seven a lucky number. ... chose their 777 wedding date because they believe Lady Luck’s on their side."

"Lucky seven is a commonly used phrase among gamblers in almost all cultures."

But most probably:
"... because seven is a generally lucky number in Japanese culture, and July 7 is a particularly lucky day." That will be probably the shipping day.

QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
... Now if I only won the lottery...
- No, it's the other way around, first buy it, then you can win lottery because of it.

Last edited by silverflower; 05-25-2009 at 06:50 AM.
05-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #38
Veteran Member

My 27 reasons why the K-7 is the better buy even though the K20D is at rock bottom price... basically it does everything the K20D does but better:

1) You actually get 2 cameras rolled into one: a video camera and a still camera
2) Better AF that everyone wants (SAFOX VIII+) with AF assist light
3) A little smaller, a little lighter
4) Rigid stainless steel chassis + magnesium outer shell = great build quality
5) Fully moisture, dust and cold resistant; even the battery grip has weather seals
6) 100% field of view in the viewfinder... if you shoot plenty of close-ups and architectural shots, trust me you'll love this
7) Electronic level indicator... no more annoying tilted horizons
8) Rotational SR compensation... great for those who have bad technique and jab that shutter release button
9) Composition Adjustment... with LV, allows slight frame adjustments when camera is on a fixed support
10) Better Dust Reduction... yeah I hate cleaning my sensor and using the Clone tool
11) Speed, speed, speed - fast 5.2 fps, faster reading to the card, 1/8000 sec... better chance to catch the peak of action
12) Shutter rated to 100,000 cycles
13) Better WB... good for those time you don't want to shoot RAW
14) Dynamic Range Adjustment for highlights and shadow correction
15) HDR in camera... potential time saver not having to do it in PP
16) Lens correction at sensor level for distortion and lateral chromatic aberration... purple fringing begone!
17) 77 segment metering, measuring smaller sections of the total image
18) Increased exposure compensation to +/- 5 EV
19) 3 inch LCD... bigger with higher resolution and wider viewing angle
20) Better LV implementation... and hey, there's even Face Detection!
21) Nicer menu interface... nice locking mode dial, focal plane marker and retro camera strap lugs
22) Embed photographer's copyright info into image metadata
23) Improved focusing screen and three user interchangeable ones too
24) New Digital Camera Utility 4 software... about time too
25) AA batteries for those who need it (with optional grip)
26) Quieter shutter... better unobtrusive shooting and a real benefit imo
27) VIDEO... 720p HD video at 30 fps, 3 aspect ratios and stereo if you have an external mic
05-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are my favourite features:

quieter shutter
new focus screen (if it helps)
new SR (ditto)
AF assist light (ditto)
smaller
viewfinder coverage 100% versus 95%
shutter speed 1/8000s
5.2 fps
720p HD video
3" LCD
focal plane marker

Evaluating The New Pentax K-7
05-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Creampuff and Robin: you guys can stop now...

I don't need any more reasons to look forward to buying this camera!!!

This is obviously welcome news for Pentax and a huge success in terms of publicity via the internet.

Cheers,
Marc
05-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I won't be buying a K-7.

I'm astounded that now the K-7 is out, there is an underlying attitude amongst some people that the K20D is no longer taking good photographs and that the K-7 is going to cure people's disease at taking ropey photos.

The K-7 is awesome in a lot of ways, no doubt about it, but all the new features don't interest me and it wouldn't allow me to do anything new except say "I've got the latest Pentax" which is really not me.

If I was still on my *ist DS and looking for an upgrade, then I'd be pre-ordering tomorrow, but I've still not maxed out the features of the K20D to warrant spending money on a new body. I've got a long way to go before I say "this K20D doesn't cut it anymore". If someone produces a portfolio of K-7 test shots and comparison with the K20D showing a marked improvement in high ISO noise and image quality, then I will surrender and say "the K-7 is worth an upgrade" - otherwise what's the point.

I think K20D owners would be better spending the money on top spec glass than a K-7, that is what I plan to do with my £1000 or so pounds - probably on this bad boy! Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX IF DG Lens - Pentax Fit (134945) - Warehouse Express
05-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Big G,

For me, I already have top spec glass, so the body is most welcome instead. Here is a partial listing of the lenses I own: FA* 200/4 Macro, FA* 80-200/2.8, FA* 300/2.8, DA 12-24.

FWIW, I do max out the current camera's specs (especially AF) while photographing wildlife and birds in much less than ideal conditions. Those limits I can definitely work within and it's improved my skills as a photographer. I use a lot of techniques to get results.

I can also obtain a loaner K20D anytime I wish (perks of a good relationship with my local camera store). I often use the K20D for when I need higher ISO's or it's tough low light situations.

Regards,
Marc
05-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #43
Veteran Member

It sounds like you'll definitely make the most of the K-7 Marc!

Those FA* lenses should work on a potential full-frame model too, correct? Guard those lenses with your life!
05-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #44

I've got no plans to upgrade at the moment.
I've got no use for the high fps or video, so for the price of the K7 body, I could buy some great glass, or most of a MacBook Pro.