Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
why upgrade to K7 from K20D?

Is the K7 the successor to the K20D? Certainly looks that way. Or is it a fork in the road - with the K10D > K20D > K7 line going off in one direction (high-end consumer) so that a model to be announced later can go off in the other (pro): K10D > K20D > K30D or perhaps K1??? Anybody want to hazard a guess?

I'm trying to figure out right now why I might even want to consider buying a K7 given that I've got a K10D and a K20D already. I find the presence of video almost an annoyance - certainly not a plus. Have to see if the new sensor in the K7 really does produce better photos: I'm skeptical. The main thing I can see right now about the K7 that really grabs me is the big, very high-res display. I was chatting with another photographer the other day who was shooting with a Canon 50D: wow, the display on that camera is amazing, and it sounds like the Pentax K7 may have a similar display. But is it worth $1300? I doubt it.

Sounds like a number of folks in this forum are very pleased with the specs of the K7. I'm sure it's a terrific camera in itself. I just don't at the moment see it as a must-have upgrade for someone like me who has a K20D with plenty of life in it yet. What am I missing (if anything)?

Will

05-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Because it's awesome.
05-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you read the specs on this cam yet, Will?
You may be pleasantly surprised.

There were a few doubters on the K10D to K20D upgrade...
Here is where you will see a great reduction in such doubt from K20D to K-7.
05-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
emr

I think some people would be more confident in buying this body if Pentax would release a clear roadmap about their plans for DSLRs. I'm not trying to once more turn this into a battle about FF and so on, but IIRC some comments from actual Pentax representatives have suggested that there might be a "K30D" and a FF body in the plans within a year. I also know that some Pentax people have said quite the contrary and there may actually be no other near future release than the 645D. Time will tell. But if one wants the top of the line Pentax, he/she might buy the K-7 now knowing there isn't going to be a better one within six months.

05-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

2 things for me for sports - fsater FPS (so they say), faster frame rate.

If I wasn't doing the sport thing, I wouldn't bother.
05-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #6

I must admit I'm really pleased to see the feature set of the new camera, because I feel no need to upgrade from my K20D + K10D kit (for my needs).
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Why upgrade? So the rest of us can buy up all the K20Ds...
05-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If the extra features and the increase in performance are important to you, then it's worth the upgrade (and make no mistake, it is an upgrade).
OTOH, if you don't need faster AF and faster framerates and the heightened responsiveness that this gives, along with the other things they've added, then it isn't worthwhile.
I expect I'll buy one for the improved performance simply because I would like a more responsive camera, with the other things the k7 will do being a pleasant bonus.

05-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Sounds like a number of folks in this forum are very pleased with the specs of the K7. I'm sure it's a terrific camera in itself. I just don't at the moment see it as a must-have upgrade for someone like me who has a K20D with plenty of life in it yet. What am I missing (if anything)?

Will
I don't think you're missing anything. I think a truism for cameras (I'm not sure if this applies more or less with film or digital) is that if you are fine with your camera body, you would be better served investing in lenses or other camera accessories instead. On the other hand, if the new camera offers some features that you feel will markedly improve your experience as a photographer, then it is a worthwhile purchase. People will vary on this depending on what they use the camera for. I don't expect this will improve things that much for studio photographers, for example, but it seems like the improvements will make it more usable for photojournalism, event and outdoor photography, and sports.

Personally, for me, the K-7 seems to offer just about everything I could want from a camera until a dramatic improvement (such as an affordable FF camera) is offered by Pentax. I want to buy it early because it is my goal to wear it out before I get another camera, and the sooner I can get started on that the better
05-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Let me clarify my question, since it seems I wasn't clear enough initially.

I've heard rumors - Mike Johnson over at The Online Photographer refers to them, too - that the K7 will not be the only new DSLR from Pentax this year. And the rumors that I've heard have it that the K7 is the low-end innovation and there will be another, high-end camera. Since the K7 already seems to be an improvement on the K20D, that would then appear to be a split in the K20D's lineage. The K20D will have two children if I can put it that way: the older child will be the K7, and the younger but perhaps more talented child will be the (hypothetical) K30 or whatever it's called when it appears.

This matters to me. Yes, I've read the specs, quickly, but until the camera's released and thoroughly reviewed one can't be sure one's not missing something. If I had a spare $1300 lying around, I'd probably love to get the K7. On the other hand, if something even better is coming along later in the year, then I suspect I'd rather wait for that. Guess I have no choice but to wait....

Will
05-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
Forum Member

I upgraded from the K100d to the K20d six months ago, taking advantage of the price drop, the MS cashback promotion and an eBay coupon. It was a fantastic deal and I've been very happy with my decision. I love the images I get from the K20d, and I enjoy using it. I'm really not swayed by most of the major new features of the K-7 - I have no interest in video or live view, the frame rate is irrelevant to my shooting style, and I don't like HDR. The biggest practical advantage to the K-7 for me is the potential improvement in AF speed and accuracy, particularly in low light. That's the only area where I feel the K20d is really lacking, for my purposes. The promise of better high ISO performance has also piqued my curiosity, but not if it means any loss in detail. It's a matter of personal taste, but I really like the way ISO 1600 looks from the K20d with noise reduction at a minimum. I'm not convinced that from a practical standpoint the K-7's magnesium alloy is a better material for the body than the K20d's plastic. Logically, I really have no cause to desire the K-7, but it's just such a gorgeous thing that I can't help myself. My K20d suddenly looks so frumpy.
05-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Let me clarify my question, since it seems I wasn't clear enough initially.

I've heard rumors - Mike Johnson over at The Online Photographer refers to them, too - that the K7 will not be the only new DSLR from Pentax this year. And the rumors that I've heard have it that the K7 is the low-end innovation and there will be another, high-end camera. Since the K7 already seems to be an improvement on the K20D, that would then appear to be a split in the K20D's lineage. The K20D will have two children if I can put it that way: the older child will be the K7, and the younger but perhaps more talented child will be the (hypothetical) K30 or whatever it's called when it appears.

This matters to me. Yes, I've read the specs, quickly, but until the camera's released and thoroughly reviewed one can't be sure one's not missing something. If I had a spare $1300 lying around, I'd probably love to get the K7. On the other hand, if something even better is coming along later in the year, then I suspect I'd rather wait for that. Guess I have no choice but to wait....

Will
MX is to K-7 as LX is to ?

What is the K-7 lineage?

A camera truly in the "Limited" category

Last edited by monochrome; 05-21-2009 at 08:37 PM.
05-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always wonder when we ask ourselves these questions they are almost rhetorical - I suspect when the hands on reviews come in most will be very pleased. Part of that will be the excitement over a new body and let's be honest to justify it to yourself. It will be like the numerous answers on the K10D ==> K20D upgrade I would say it was about 75% to 25% pro vs con.

There is always the next thing coming out - it will always be a little better than what you have and there was always be a feature that you want that is not quite there.

From the specs I have read it seems to be a good upgrade , is it worth $1300 ? That is totally dependant on your personal situation. Some people spend that on a dinner , some save for years to spend that on a vacation.

IMHO - I am an enthusiast - I love to shoot , but it's a hobby I don't receive any financial gain in fact quite the opposite. I may get it , while I donít spend $1300 on a dinner , I can afford it and can justify it as it a hobby and it makes me happy Ė pretty cheap in the long run. I will probably get one before Christmas and then when the next one comes out will look at that.

There is still so much I need to learn and so much I want to try in my photographic journey , my current equipment exceeds my skill set , but that wonít stop me from upgrading.

Not really much of a technical answer Will , but some of my random thoughts. Best of luck.
05-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

the bigger question for me is do I take a K7 or K20, considering I have a K10D now?

If I had a K20, I am not sure the K7 is a big enough step. The only reason I am looking to the K20D is better high ISO performance, and some features that the K20D and *istD have but K10D does not. (EV comp in manual for one)
05-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #15

Long time followers of this forum will recall lots of bitching about high ISO noise and AF performance. And yet, Pentax comes out with a new camera that seems to have made only incremental improvements in those two critical areas, and everyone goes gaga. What short memories we all seem to have. I'm just saying...