Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What Site Will You Trust More For Your K-7 Review?

Hey All,
Pretty soon we will be flooded with reviews of the K-7 from various websites. They seem to vary in opinion from site to site how each one judges a model. Are you a fan of "DP Review", "Steve's Digicam" or some other site to help you make your decision before you rush out and spend $1000 or more on camera and gear. I am beginning to like Camera Labs: Digital Camera, Digital SLR and Lens Reviews, Workshops, News since they do an HD video on the camera as well an extensive written test of it.

Barry

05-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to wait until my local dealer gets one in stock and I will just take it out shooting for an afternoon. Usually that's enough to tell me if the camera suits me, then a look at what I've shot that evening tells me the rest of what I need to know.
05-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I tend to wait until my local dealer gets one in stock and I will just take it out shooting for an afternoon. Usually that's enough to tell me if the camera suits me, then a look at what I've shot that evening tells me the rest of what I need to know.
Wheatfield,
Must be nice to have a dealer that carries Pentax,even in a big city like Dallas,it's even tough to find accessories Maybe the K-7 will change the opinion of some that think of Pentax DSLRs as entry-level only.
05-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Wheatfield,
Must be nice to have a dealer that carries Pentax,even in a big city like Dallas,it's even tough to find accessories Maybe the K-7 will change the opinion of some that think of Pentax DSLRs as entry-level only.
I have an excellent dealer here. I'm fortunate that I have a very good relationship with them.
I've known the store manager for something like 25 years (probably more, actually), and I get treated very well, both by him and his staff, and by the Pentax rep, who is a very good person to deal with as well.

05-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My own.

I echo what Wheatfield is saying...I will get my hands on one eventually and with what I do and how I shoot, I will draw my own conclusions. That being said, I will still read the reviews and if I see consistent kudos or pans about certain features, I would expect that there would be a reason for this. One of the things that turns me off about online/print reviews is when they can become too esoteric and even pedantic about things that don't and never really matter to me, or anyone(?), as well as constantly comparing to other makes and models...which I suppose is natural, but at the end of the day, who wants a camera that is exactly like another?

I can't wait until the dust settles about the K-7 release and when I am able to get one in my hands toward the end of this year, I will be excited, but also open minded...how can this thing help me become a better photographer, and try to keep in mind it's a tool in MY hands...not a tool by itself.

Jason
05-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wheatfield,

Dallas is *weird,* anyway. I'm no one to talk, being kind of sun-sensitive, myself, but for such a big city, retail areas look pretty deserted in retail hours, anyway. Never could quite get over the AC-dependence. Awful spooky to see a biggish city with almost nobody *outside.* Seems like that would make a foot-traffic shop a difficult thing to make viable just lately.

I think the 'entry-level only' impression about Pentax is actually all about people defensively-saying that, and maybe if they're lucky not-getting-shown-a K100ds at Ritz so someone can say 'Canon and Nkon are 'pro brands' (actual cameras notwithstanding.)

They wouldn't buy a truck that way. Or maybe they would. But, hey.

Not just Pentax, as regards Ritz and Wolf and co... they pretty much Starbucked all the local shops and homogenized things, then wondered why after about twenty years of being a Fotomat that sold frames and everything *but* camera stuff in any serious way, ....people forgot what a camera store *was,* never mind wanting to go to theirs.... I went in there this year to just try and check out Tammies and Sigmas, and I was like, 'Do you have *anything for anything* faster than a kit lens?'

They did not, actually. For any brand.

That's more about what befell retail than anything about Pentax, though.
05-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find I get the most useful information from imaging-resource.com. Their "print comparison" section is something I find especially useful, as it really tells you the usable quality of shots at different ISOs and since print sizes are standardized you can better compare with the results of other cameras.

05-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Wheatfield,
I'm always surprised to hear that in some other places Pentaxes are so hard to find.

In my medium sized city (about 770,000 ) in the Canadian prairies I can get Pentax equipment...most of it right away...or I may have to wait a few days for it to be shipped in from the distributor, if it's uncommon stuff.

I'll do a count of the good camera dealers in the city off the top of my head that will have Pentax DSLR equipment in stock...3 Don's, 2 Henry's, 1 Photo Central, 2 London Drugs...at competitive prices. I may be missing some places.

Each of these top notch camera dealers have very good Pentax displays, generally with a display K20D, K200D, KM and a variety of lenses,accessories made by Pentax on display. I check out the stuff, the clerks are very knowledgeable about the Pentax (as well as Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc.) equipment.

Since Nov. 2007...I have bought different Pentax equipment from all four companies. Lessee...a K10D, a KM, a 16-45, a 55-300, a 50 f1.4, a K10D battery grip, a 360 flash, a remote control, an extra K10D battery.. variety of memory cards, monopod, bags, battery charger systems, etc.

In every instance with the exception of the 50mm f1.4 (took a couple days as it was Xmas and they had to ship from another store in the city)....I went in, flopped my credit card down and walked out with my new Pentax equipment....all at good , cheaper then MRSP prices.

I bought my first Pentax SLR (S1a) back in 1968 in my town and have been buying Pentax equipment since then. Never any trouble getting product for a good price. I have lived in another Canadian Prairie city and same deal...no problemos getting any Pentax stuff I wanted.

I have never used mail order...why would I with the support and prices I can get here.

I can't figure out why my mid sized burg in the middle of the prairies has everything...compared to a large city like Dallas ?? I must live in camera nirvana.

As for the K7...I'm still pleased with my K10D and I just got my KM...so not in the market now. But I will read all the reviews, balance off what they say, what evidence they present , check out a K7 myself, check out the digital print comparos on the internet and make a decision from that.

Last edited by lesmore49; 05-22-2009 at 10:55 AM.
05-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm always surprised to hear that in some other places Pentaxes are so hard to find.

In my medium sized city (about 770,000 ) in the Canadian prairies I can get Pentax equipment...most of it right away...or I may have to wait a few days for it to be shipped in from the distributor, if it's uncommon stuff.

I'll do a count of the good camera dealers in the city off the top of my head that will have Pentax DSLR equipment in stock...3 Don's, 2 Henry's, 1 Photo Central, 2 London Drugs...at competitive prices. I may be missing some places.

Since Nov. 2007...I have bought different Pentax equipment from all three companies. Lessee...a K10D, a KM, a 16-45, a 55-300, a 50 f1.4, a K10D battery grip, a 360 flash, a remote control, an extra K10D battery...etc.

In every instance with the exception of the 50mm f1.4 (took a couple days as it was Xmas and they had to ship from another store in the city)....I went in, flopped my credit card down and walked out with my new Pentax equipment....all at good , cheaper then MSRP prices.

I bought my first Pentax SLR (S1a) back in 1968 and have been buying Pentax equipment since then. Never any trouble getting product for a good price.

I can't figure out why my mid sized burg in the middle of the prairies has everything...compared to a large city like Dallas ??
I agree it's weird that a big city like Dallas doesn't have Pentax cameras to look at unless you want a P & S Optio, it's the reason why I depend so much on camera review sites and forums like this one. Most of the lenses and other gear I have were bought off Amazon. Anyway, by the time I decide to get the K 7, the price will have gone down. a rebate will be available and many reviews to choose from with sample pictures. A used k200d body sold for $355.00 yesterday on Ebay and the seller was Henry's of Canada and it appeared not in as good of condition as my own... As I said earlier, if I can get a decent price for mine, it'll make a nice down payment on the new kid on the block
05-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I agree it's weird that a big city like Dallas doesn't have Pentax cameras to look at unless you want a P & S Optio, it's the reason why I depend so much on camera review sites and forums like this one. Most of the lenses and other gear I have were bought off Amazon. Anyway, by the time I decide to get the K 7, the price will have gone down. a rebate will be available and many reviews to choose from with sample pictures. A used k200d body sold for $355.00 yesterday on Ebay and the seller was Henry's of Canada and it appeared not in as good of condition as my own... As I said earlier, if I can get a decent price for mine, it'll make a nice down payment on the new kid on the block
Maybe it's the distributor in Western Canada is really good....I dunno. Boy if i was Pentax I look at improving the distribution in your country. The USA is the largest market and to have a dearth of products in large cities in a huge market is letting opportunity slip.

Wish you luck.
05-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That would be my preferred way to buy a camera but I no longer have a camera store within an hours drive. The couple of reviews I have seen so far are pretty positive. Being as I can't afford one now anyway, I will pay most attention to what everybody posts here in the forum after they buy one.