Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Ed in GA

Photoshop Elements 5 for Dummies

Photoshop Elements 5 for Dummies and/or Photoshop Elements 5, the missing manual.

Does anyone have either, or both, of these books and, if so, you impressions???

04-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Eddy, I don't have the edition for Elements 5. (I still use Elements 3) but I gained much insight with Barbara Bundages "Missing Manual" for that version. It tends to be a bit simplistic, and I characterize most of it as being 'beginner level' stuff, but nonetheless, I was helped greatly by this book. If you are at an intermediate level it will be too simplistic, but if you want to get a good handle on how PSE works, than I can recommend it highly. At least like I said the PSE 3 version, I would assume that PSE 5 is no different.

NaCl(don't know anything about the "for dummies" book)H2O
04-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Ed in GA

Well, "simplistic" would be fine for me as I don't have much of a handle on PSE5 at this point.

All I can do with it, right now, is organize photos and perform some very basic post processing.

So, I have much to learn.

I'm still shooting in jpeg and want to make the switch to RAW. I've looked at your workflow, along with some others, and have somewhat of an idea what to do as far as processing then saving.

But, I want to make use of a lot of the tools availble in the full edit mode and that's where my knowledge drops off the edge of the earth.

I've heard that the "Dummies" book is a bit simplistic as well. But that may not be a bad thing for me.

Ciao`

Ed
04-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Ed.

I highly recommend checking into "Hidden Elements" by R. Lynch. I cut my PP teeth on the Elements 2 edition. Really great stuff to learn the 'why' in addition to the 'how'. Maybe a bit steeper learning curve than a 'for dummies' book, but much more value added IMO.

Check it out: http://hiddenelements.com/

Cheers.

-Mark

04-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've always found the For Dummies books are a little too basic for most people.
To me it looks like they've geared them towards people that have never used a computer, which frustrates me anyways

I've heard that taking the courses at the local night school is worth it with photoshop.
04-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by SWEngineer Quote
Hi Ed.

I highly recommend checking into "Hidden Elements" by R. Lynch. I cut my PP teeth on the Elements 2 edition. Really great stuff to learn the 'why' in addition to the 'how'. Maybe a bit steeper learning curve than a 'for dummies' book, but much more value added IMO.

Check it out: The Photoshop Elements Hidden Power Site for Adobe Photoshop Elements 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1

Cheers.

-Mark

Thanks Mark,

I'll take a look. I think this is one situation where there is no such thing as "Too Much Information." And, I'm very eager to learn all of this.

Ed
05-03-2007, 04:00 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SWEngineer Quote
I highly recommend checking into "Hidden Elements" by R. Lynch. I cut my PP teeth on the Elements 2 edition. Really great stuff to learn the 'why' in addition to the 'how'. Maybe a bit steeper learning curve than a 'for dummies' book, but much more value added IMO. Check it out: http://hiddenelements.com/
Mark, thanks for the mention. It certainly was not meant to be a 'dummies' book, but really something more along the line that people who are serious enough to visit camera forums might benefit from. Too many books assume the user is stupid, and while quaint as a marketing gag, the books and authors never get to the point of what to do with an image.

For other's information: My Elements books empower users by giving you added functionality, and the understanding with which to use the tools. Each tool is looked at in the context of editing, and the steps the tool takes are outlined in the book (sometimes more than 100 steps). Once you know how they work, you can click once to apply and follow instructions on screen.

If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

05-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't doubt that the Hidden Elements book is well worth it (I've read good reviews elsewhere as well) (maybe I should buy it also) I bought the Scott Kelby book "The Photoshop Elements 5 Book for Digital Photographers (voices that matter)" and find it very easy to read and understand. I haven't gotten too far into it yet so I can't say it's the ideal book but the earlier versions got great reviews by lots of people.
Brian
( not at all meant to put Richard's book down. In fact, had I known he was on this list, I probably would have bought it first)
05-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I bought the Scott Kelby book "The Photoshop Elements 5 Book for Digital Photographers (voices that matter)"

I'll second Brian on Kelby's book. It's excellent.

I don't care for the Dummies books.