Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital projectors and negligence of vertical photos

Do you remember those good old days when you were looking pictures on slide projector? And they were all equally big regardless of orientation.
I was hoping that one day we'll see digital projectors that will have the same capabilities (1:1 resolution ratio or image flipping mirror mechanism). So far no attempts in this direction have been made (at least not to my knowledge).
Do you think that there will come a time when I'll no longer have to take dia pictures of my monitor to show those vertical frames at decent quality?

04-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy a monitor that swivels, such as the Dell LCD's?
04-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm aware of swivel monitors as we have a couple of those in the office but I don't see how can a swivel monitor help the issue with projector.
04-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make an L bracket for the projector?

04-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am with you on this, but 1:1 projectors are unlikely (most likely we'll get 16:9 as a standard).

Anyway, with my Dell 800x600 I find slide shows using vertical images of 600 pixels high and horizontal of 700 pixels wide produces more pleasing transition from horizontal to vertical (and vice versa) than 600 to 800. I use though 800 wide for landscape-like format, where picture ratio approaches 1:2. For square 1:1 I use 550x550. This works well for me. (You can see exactly those sizes in my gallery at PBase.)
05-11-2007, 04:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In order to get better projections I was looking for a company that would expose dia film to digital pictures and found out that it would cost too much. So I decided to try taking photos of computer screen.
I set my 19" Sony G420 Trinitron monitor to 1920x1440@60Hz.
Then I set the background color to 128,128,128 and took some pictures with my DS until the peak of the histogram was in the middle. So now I knew what exposure is needed. Note that DS can't auto meter on surface of monitor running at 60Hz.
Then I used an old totally manual Practica with Carl Zeiss Jenna 50/2 M42 lens with ASA100 dia film and a tripod. I used F8 and appropriate time. I took 36 pictures of selected images.
The results were better than expected. When projected on a wall I could actually see the pixels of monitor meaning that resolution was as good as any digital projector when displaying horizontal pictures and superior when displaying vertical ones. Pictures were also rock solid (no refresh rate) and had good colors. Oh and no fiddling with computers and digital projectors.
I think I'll hang on to dia slides for best projection of pictures.