Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do I need to know ?

I met this local photographer and have more or less arranged to take some lessons. Initially it was going to be software (LR and PS) training but after talking for a bit , We both figured with books and practice I can probably learn most of what I need to know. For some of the more complicated layer adjustments , he was willing to teach me. he felt the time would be better spent learning the portrait skills and I agreed as that is a weak spot for me.

He said it was up to me what I wanted. I want to focus more on people and portraits. Not sure I want a studio type environment, but he also mentioned he can show me how to get the most out of what I already have and perhaps some cheap alternatives. I want to be able to take family portraits , maybe for some friends, etc, family social events , etc. I don't have any ambition at this point to do weddings or become a professional , but I want to be competent and who knows when I retire maybe it will be a part time gig to supplement the beer funds

Anyway what advice would you give for me to ask the pro ? I left it at general portraits and people, maybe lighting. Is that specific enough ? I plan to take maybe 5 - 10 hours with this guy so would appreciate others feedback as to what specific things I should learn.

Oh and he suggested all I need based on what I have is some white and grey cards (makes sense) but also a light meter ? Does that sound reasonable ?

Thanks for any input you may have.

06-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Dave, is there a specific portrait situation you would like to improve at? indoor/outdoor, flash or existing light, individuals or groups? I guess if it were me I would take along some prints of portraits I wasn't quite satisfied with and get coaching on how to improve in those kind of situations.
06-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tim - good ideas - outdoor portraits in natural light would be a good starting point - then indoor with limited alternative lighting and or natural. That is one of my issues - I just want to be better at 'it' - there are so many scenarios of 'it' , it's hard to quantify until I get into that scenario. I am not much of a portrait shooter but I do have some - another good idea bring them with me.
06-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Banned

if this 'pro' is only going to teach you a few things then I would concentrate on whatever aspects of photography you are most interested in or feel you need the most help with. if the pro however is willing to teach you whatever... then why limit yourself. if he is indeed an excellent photographer and produces photos that you inspire to, then just say 'teach me everything you know.' its worth a shot, you might develop a good working relationship and probably learn more than you likely need to know. you can do no harm by asking to learn everything.

06-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if this 'pro' is only going to teach you a few things then I would concentrate on whatever aspects of photography you are most interested in or feel you need the most help with. if the pro however is willing to teach you whatever... then why limit yourself. if he is indeed an excellent photographer and produces photos that you inspire to, then just say 'teach me everything you know.' its worth a shot, you might develop a good working relationship and probably learn more than you likely need to know. you can do no harm by asking to learn everything.
Well I am sure he would be willing to teach me everything ... we have met twice so far and I have seen some of his work and am impressed - As this a a per lesson charge learning everything will cost more than I am willing to spend - but I do need to prioritize what I want ...
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about spreading out your lessons? For instance, have him teach you about using reflectors and available light to start off with. Then you go practice those techniques on friends, family, and pets for a few weeks until you get a better idea of what you'd like help with next. It might be posing...or how to handle groups...or using fill flash. Or maybe you could put together a portfolio of what you think are your best portraits from your practice sessions and let this guy tell you what area needs work.
06-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Dave, personally I think you would get the most value for your money by having him teach you lighting first. Once you have that down, you can practice the other stuff on your own and then maybe go back to him for the fine tuning.

06-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks TaoMaas and Gary - I think lighting is key as well. And good idea to take a few lesson , pratice a few weeks and go back.