Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photographing an LCD TV

Here's a frivolous one: I've been finding that it's sometimes amusing to grab a shot off the new HDTV to show someone, while I'm far too often sitting at home. We've got an HD set in our care for a while, and I'm wondering if there's a good shutter speed to hit it at or any other constraints or anything. No raster-bar phenomenon, of course, but I'm not sure results are consistent. For what they're worth.

06-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I don't have an HDTV to test it on, but the old rule used to be to shoot 60th of a second or slower to avoid the bar. It had to do with the refresh rate of the screen.
Does the same thing happen with HDTV? I don't know.

I was at Astro's spring training two years ago and had the bar problem with thier scoreboard in the outfield.
06-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

These screens' light is polarized. Using a polarizer filter will usually create a black shot. Circular polarizer, rotated, might give odd results.
06-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Shutter speed shouldn't be an issue because there's no "phosphor fade" on an LCD the way there is on a CRT.

The biggest issue (aside from contrast and colour balance) is moire patterns due to the interaction of the screen pixels with the photosites on the sensor. If those are an issue you can try zooming in or out a bit, or in difficult cases it may help to deliberately put the lens very slightly out of focus.

06-09-2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Damn Brit

Hope this is of help.
I took this at 1/10s f/1.4 50mm. Distance of eight feet or so.
Just for clarity, this HDTV is a plasma.
The crossfade in the movie was an unplanned bonus.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-29-2010 at 10:10 PM.
06-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have been thinking about the same thing of late. As i just purchased a HD LCD the other day. Although being 100Hz ... I'd need to get the shutter speed right though.
Trial and error I guess. Will see how it performs.
Will have a go when i try a few blu-rays on it.