Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Now thats confusing to me. Sounds like we need to bring all those mountain top telescopes back down to sea level because they are too high?
No. The poster referrs to the old wisdom, that sometimes the air is calmer (less star twinckling) if it is in a humid environment at lower level. You can read the facts in-depth in "High Resolution Astro Photography" by Dragesco, a noted astrophotographer (High Resolution Astrophotography Practical Astronomy Handbook Series: Jean Dragesco: Amazon.de: Richard McKim: Englische Bücher)

In general a mountain top location is better suited for astrophotography, because you have less atmosphere between the camera and the stars, but micro climatic conditions can counterbalance this advantage. Especially when the mountain range serves as a break to a wind stream (in our region that would be the Westerly ridges) the local turbulences will make for very bad shooting conditions.

Favourable places in the mountains ly within a region which helps to calm down local turbulences (i.e. woodlands, like Mount Wilson or Calar Alto or the sea like Mauna Kea) or are extravagantly dry (like the Atacama mountains for the ESO telescopes on Paranal). If this is not the case, it is sometimes better to go into the lee of a mountain for photography.

Ben

06-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote

Next are 3 images up close at ISO 200, Shutter Speed 1/30 sec in Manual mode.

What lens(es) were used for your moon shots DR WHO? Terriffic photos!
06-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The closeups were taken with a Skywatcher SKYMAX-180 PRO. It's a F15 2700mm focal length Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope.
06-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

This is one of my recent moon shots with a small telescope, a 100mm (diameter) f/6 (= 600mm focal length) semi-Apo, combined with a Pentax 2x-L tc.

Attached Images

06-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

three images with the K20 and 2s mirror lock-up taken with my old Lichtenknecker Cassegrain (250/3000) in the primary focus at fl 3000mm.

And all were taken out of our rooftop observatory right in the center of a small town at only 150m above sea level. I have taken about 15 shots of each moon area and the "seeing" caused heavy and widely varying distortions between each shot. I am planning to assemble 8-10 shots to form one big moon mosaic, but I have no idea, how Photoshop will cope with the different distortions...
Attached Images

06-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #21
graphicgr8s

Ok so I was up at 4am as our apt was 30C even thou outside is only 20C. Last time I get a south facing apt with windows from the floor to the ceiling. Anyhow I was getting a drink from the fridge and I noticed the moon was peaking over the buildings and rising during the day. So I thought heck its the worst possible time to try and take a photo of the moon, with sunlight already coming up, Light polution living walking distance from downtown, but hey why not have some fun and see whats possible.

Anyways here are some images I thought I'd post just to show even under bad settings you can get somethign image if you just drive out of the city for 30 min how much better a result you could get.

Just a image I took to show how much sun glow was creaping into the sky
The "star" on the left is Jupiter.

Just a question. How can the moon be in front of the wires?
06-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Just a question. How can the moon be in front of the wires?
It isn't. If you look closely, you will see, that the wire still leaves a small "dent" in the moon. There are two factors, that can lead this seemingly impossible effect:
1. the moon is way too bright and thus the place, where the moon is, burns out - as is the case here - and no detail will be left
2. during exposure time, the foreground object might mnove a bit back and fro, just enough to widen its image and make the moon shine through at any possible place (the same effect you use in architectural photography, when you want to make passers by "invisible" through an extended exposure time)

Ben

06-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I suspect that the UK is far closer to sea level than many areas of the USA, but its still possible to get decent moons shots - sometimes you get lucky with the conditions on any particular night, but its not absolutely necessary to be way high up.

I guess it may come down to how much detail one is after.

06-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #24

Those are might fine pictures Ben_Edict.
06-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
Those are might fine pictures Ben_Edict.
Thanks Joebob. Somehow digital helps a lot with astrophotography - I never accomplished anything like that on film.

Ben
06-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #26

I've had the reverse. I've had better luck with moon pictures with film than with digital. No matter what scope I use, I can't seem to obtain sharp focus. Pictures come out "ok" but just not as sharp with and without eyepieces.
06-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
I've had the reverse. I've had better luck with moon pictures with film than with digital. No matter what scope I use, I can't seem to obtain sharp focus. Pictures come out "ok" but just not as sharp with and without eyepieces.
Maybe it's the smaller viewfinder? I use an Olympus Vari-Magnifinder for astrophotography and this gives me much better results, then using the plain viewfinder, despite the Pentax ones are quite good.

Ben
07-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 video

Here is a video I put on youtube of the moon I recorded with the Pentax K7. The camera is stationary and is a example of how fast the moon moves with a large focal length.

YouTube - Passing Moon recorded with Pentax K7
07-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Great moon shots Ben.

I took a few shots early this morning with the M 400/5.6. The results were not good. I'll have to read and practice some more and try to come close to your efforts here.

Tom G
07-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Here is a video I put on youtube of the moon I recorded with the Pentax K7. The camera is stationary and is a example of how fast the moon moves with a large focal length.

YouTube - Passing Moon recorded with Pentax K7
That's a nice video, which shows clearly the effect of atmospheric seeing, aka the warping of the moon, due to turbulences. This makes understanding the difficulties of shooting the moon much easier to understand, than a long verbal description...

Ben