Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mission Hills, CA
Posts: 773
I think I'm in Love With TAV Mode :-)

Very cool for concert stuff I think.

Set my auto iso to 1600-4500. Want to use 1/30 if I can for stage stuff ... 1/15 at the lowest.

I have shot some last year or so where it was 1/8 ... most come out blurry as you can guess.

For this type of work what do you guys do ?

My iso is normally set at 200 for AV, TV, and P. I just recently changed my Program Line to Hi-Speed.

wll

06-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,346
You have learnt well Grasshopper. It's a great semi-automatic mode.
06-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borås, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,165
For that kind of stuff I generally stick to manual mode and spot meter off something of average brightness when the light changes.
06-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,891
such as shame it doesn't work with HSS with external flash units. you still hit that 1/180s shutter speed limit on the K10D.

06-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian
er1kksen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forestville, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,690
I just used it to photograph a minister's ordination at my mom's church (I was the designated photographer) where I had it around 1/50 and f4.5 with my long lens, usually between 75 and 200mm. Astonishingly, most of them turned out "sharp enough" even at 200mm. I also use it for sports, but usually have the shutter speed up around 1/1000 and the aperture around f8 for better sharpness and more dof. I generally keep the max ISO at 3200 or below, though.

TAv mode was actually one of my primary reasons for buying a pentax.
06-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member
mithrandir's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,890
I too am a true believer in TAv.
06-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member
MJB DIGITAL's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,173
on concerts I generaly throw a strobe up behind the drummer or on the side of the stage, and have a light on the camera. then I can either expose for just my lights in M or play with whats available
06-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT / NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 822
never found the reason to try TAv...

06-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member
figmental1978's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 789
I shoot AV 90% and the other 10% on M (for strobe work). I have a concert this coming Sunday and I'll try this outlandish TAv mode.
06-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
wll
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mission Hills, CA
Posts: 773
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I shoot AV 90% and the other 10% on M (for strobe work). I have a concert this coming Sunday and I'll try this outlandish TAv mode.
What is very cool is to set your lower and upper perimeters iso (mine are 1600 to 4500) for indoor, no flash stuff and set your lowest shutter speed you want and the camera does the rest. I was at a point a few years ago I was constantly changing my aperture/shutter speed on the fly, but the K20D's high iso is so good I now don't worry about it.

In general I use AV about 90% of the time. I recently set my in camera PROGRAM LINE setting at faster shutter speed and I like it.

I also use SR on all the time except when I'm on a tripod, which is for studio stuff, less than three weeks of work out of the year.


wll
06-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,346
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I shoot AV 90% and the other 10% on M (for strobe work). I have a concert this coming Sunday and I'll try this outlandish TAv mode.
You rebel!
06-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Senior Member
dantekgeek's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 100
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
For that kind of stuff I generally stick to manual mode and spot meter off something of average brightness when the light changes.
The custom modes are great, but this is really the only reliable way to shoot produced shows and concerts. Light changes so quickly, and is so specific (spots, color casts, complex backgrounds, etc) that software simply isn't good enough to work it out in time to get the shot.

My rule is shoot full manual, with center weighted metering linked to AF point, and manipulating the shutter/aperture to get about a +1.5 EV (which generally lights the subject well, but with a bit of background).

That being said, I've hadn't much time to play with the custom modes (when I'm on assignment, I figure its best to get the shots instead of fool around with new settings.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, iso, photography, stuff, tav mode
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TAv mode Howard2k Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-23-2010 01:30 PM
Tav mode amaruba Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 05-21-2009 11:59 AM
A way to get a TAv mode on the K-m/K200D? ManuH Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 04-07-2009 03:57 AM
TaV mode Papou Photographic Technique 3 02-11-2008 10:03 PM
TAV mode is so cool!!! regken Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 04-11-2007 08:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top