Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Last month I got a hard case at a charity auction. The three lenses inside were sort of a free bonus. Right now I'm trying to get my head around the right way to use a 500mm. I'm sure most of my problem is just trying to keep it still. The biggest thing that I have used before is a 300 zoom, so there seems to be a huge difference. It may take a while, but I will get it.

Last edited by opfor; 06-13-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo
06-14-2009, 12:39 AM   #32
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mastering my manual focus tele-prime lenses. After using almost only my 31mm, it's hard to think that 1/15s is too slow :/
06-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Framing here as well. Sometimes proper DOF control for closeup shots.
06-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #34
Veteran Member

my challenge....perfection

im starting to chill out into a more consistent wedding routine. my challenge is that i want to take that consistent high quality, and turn it to consistent high end quality.

ya know?

and i want to smooth out the business end of my life and keep my paperwork as perfect as my images (or as perfect as I can get)

06-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is your current photographic challenge?

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The learning curve to photographic enlightenment is not smooth. It is more like a hiking trail up mountain, with easy stretches followed obstacles and challenges that seem daunting the first time but become easier with each traverse as experience and knowledge become our guides.

I'm curious - what photographic challenges are you currently facing? What learning curve are you currently climbing or see looming ahead of you?

Me, I am challenged with improving my production values. I want to create razor-sharp images that jump off the screen with more consistency. And sometime beyond that, I will attempt to live like a strobist, which will be difficult because I currently prefer shots that are more in-the-moment and less staged.

Care to share?
You've cut out quite a challenge for yourself! Good luck with both ambitions. For me, it's this: High-key jewelry look, though I think I'm making headway. After that, it'll be portraiture.
06-14-2009, 02:51 AM   #36
emr

Challenge? One could say I'm photographically challenged.

I need ideas and inspiration. I need to learn about shooting and lighting technique. I need the time and energy to shoot instead of planning to. I need to spend less time at my computer and more using my camera. I wouldn't mind having better glass either, but seriously, that's not the limiting factor of my photography.

06-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm working on my lighting technique, but my composition for portraits could be a lot tighter. but then again with a RAZOR sharp lens like the FA31 limited, I can crop more aggressively than I would if I was using a less than stellar lens.

technical perfection is relatively easy to achieve, if you concentrate,learn form you mistakes,and employ the correct techniques for the subject in front of you. but I find if I adhere to what I have learned over the years, the images I make have a clinical quality that is devoid of any emotional connection to it's content, technical excellence comes at a price.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-31-2010 at 05:22 PM.
06-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Recent challenges:

* Fixing the back on my ME Super, so it doesn't pop open (Fixed, replaced film backing plate with one from busted ME Super.)

* Making sure the damn battery hatch on my K100D doesn't pop open, or half-pop open, which somehow severely decreases the conductance of the battery contacts, thus making the camera think the batteries I let sit in the charger for 24 hours are only half full. (Fixed, with tape. Sort of.)

Challenges not yet over come:

* Getting some Tri-X.

* Finding something half-decent to shoot in this two-bit town.
06-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Niki Quote
indoor flash photography that doesn't look harsh and fakey....bah.

Mine as well

I have fast glass and love to use natural light, but there are times when flash is the best option and I am not upto where I want to be with results.

Neil
06-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #40
Forum Member

Learning studio lighting with old MF film cameras.

I'm also gearing up to do some long exposure night time stuff involving moving water and light painting. This will also be done with MF film.

I want to do some star trail photography as well with 50 iso 35mm slide film. Like, 3-5 hour exposures.

Those are the hurdles in front of me at the moment.
06-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Mine as well

I have fast glass and love to use natural light, but there are times when flash is the best option and I am not upto where I want to be with results.

Neil
Have you tried bounding the flash off the ceiling?
06-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Business, marketing, lighting and posing in that order. The lighting and posing really come down to speed. I can always get the shot I want but it's still taking too long.
06-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
... Finding something half-decent to shoot in this two-bit town.
Shoot the bits - in different light - both of them - often.
06-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I used to be a natural light only photographer. Then I bought a hotshoe flash and started using it pretty much in full auto. Now I am trying to learn how to use it effectively but not make it look like I used a flash
06-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Getting out and taking pictures. Can't seem to come up with projects that hold my interest; I have one that I've been shooting on and off for over three years, but that's not enough.