Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is your current photographic challenge?

The learning curve to photographic enlightenment is not smooth. It is more like a hiking trail up mountain, with easy stretches followed obstacles and challenges that seem daunting the first time but become easier with each traverse as experience and knowledge become our guides.

I'm curious - what photographic challenges are you currently facing? What learning curve are you currently climbing or see looming ahead of you?

Me, I am challenged with improving my production values. I want to create razor-sharp images that jump off the screen with more consistency. And sometime beyond that, I will attempt to live like a strobist, which will be difficult because I currently prefer shots that are more in-the-moment and less staged.

Care to share?

06-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Baby shots!

I have twin nephews who are about three monts old and my step sister loves getting free pics from me; and in return I hone my skills!

I also have a point to prove to someone...............
06-09-2009, 12:45 AM   #3

Getting used to my K20D and Sigma lenses. My results with cheaper Canon gear were better, more consistent, and easier to achieve. It was easier to get good and sharper images.

My workflow with Digital Photo Professional was also a lot faster, and the program would respond a lot faster than Photo Laboratory, loading files just like that and quickly processing them. I recently discovered Photoshop Elements (which I didn't use as much) is able to load .PEF files, so I'll probably use that and see how it'll go.

Another challenge is sports photography which I'm totally new to.
06-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #4

My photography challenge is to pursuade my wife that the K7 is essential. Somehow I can't see that happening.

I'm looking forward to getting back into sports again, after a break due to exam revision. I would really like to get better at landscapes though. Mine are usually lacking something.

06-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My challenge is to get brighter, lower ISO shots of eagles before sunrise. I'm not used to seeing Bald Eagles in SE PA, so getting ANY shots is a plus, but I have to shoot ISO 1600 to get any keepers.

I guess tripod and 125th shutter are my best bet with a K200D shooting JPEGS with Tamron AD 70-300. (At max zoom - wouldn't you know they roost on protected land too?)
06-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Macro photography. It is a totally different beast, but I've found it quite rewarding thus far, despite the fact that I am getting zero results thus far. Progress...
06-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm just working on the basics. I think I'm doing ok with exposure but my composition just sucks for the most part. I went for a walk downtown last weekend, took 70 pictures, I think that only 2-3 were real keepers. The good news is that I knew the keepers when I took them, and I thought the non-keepers were just that when I took them.

I'd like to get better with architectural and landscape. I think it's just visualizing the picture before I take it. I'm an engineer and I think I get too technical instead of looking for a feeling.

06-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Get some good photos on my gap year to China.

Get into university to do Press and Editorial photography.
06-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I'm just working on the basics. I think I'm doing ok with exposure but my composition just sucks for the most part. I went for a walk downtown last weekend, took 70 pictures, I think that only 2-3 were real keepers. The good news is that I knew the keepers when I took them, and I thought the non-keepers were just that when I took them.

I'd like to get better with architectural and landscape. I think it's just visualizing the picture before I take it. I'm an engineer and I think I get too technical instead of looking for a feeling.
Yeah, I hear you. But that's why I'm really liking photography, because it gives me a chance to explore the "artistic" world that I really don't have too much experience with, AND explore the technical aspects of the equipment.

2-3 keepers from 70 photos = 2-3 good shots. I've heard many ratios from various photographers, but one of the best expressions I heard was in the pro vs. amature debate on this forum. Something along the lines of, a pro is an amature that only shows people the good shots.

I was taking photos of my kids with their cousins in the park one day, just farting around with different lenses, different compositions, etc. Then I scoured through them all, picked what I thought were the best 2-3 (out of about 200 photos), and sent them to the other parents (my cousins). Well, they thought the photos were the cat's pajamas.
06-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've heard that you'll be lucky to get two good shot out of a roll of film. That's what I usually find.
06-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
Inactive Account

My biggest hurdle is leaving the keyboard behind & actually practicing photography rather than dreaming about possibilities.

A particular photographic challenge is my Black cat. Taking a photo of a black thing is tough!

Iowa Dave
06-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've had two surgeries on my right knee since early April, so my current challenge is holding a camera while propped up on crutches without falling down.
06-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
Banned

framing. its always framing.
06-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've been an available light photographer for many, many years.
Now using the Metz outdoors and getting the results I pursue turns out to be not that easy.

- Bert
06-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
My biggest hurdle is leaving the keyboard behind & actually practicing photography rather than dreaming about possibilities.
Iowa Dave
I agree with you here as well. I need to get out and take some more photos instead of setting at home. But lately I've been working 6 days a week and on my day off my wife needs me.

Besides that my challenge is flash photography. I am not talking about simple onboard flash, I am talking about using external flash and making the image not look like flash.