Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Photo Gallery

So, here is a ? I have had for sometime. What is the point in trying to get images accepted into the Pentax Photo Gallery? I have my own thoughts and ideas, but really want to hear what some of the other people here have to say about this. Let the talk begin, Thanks.

06-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It is purely for kudos. Photos are on the whole excellent that are on there. Being an official Pentax site adds to the kudos.

I hope to get some in, and will be showing off to everyone I can when I do so.
06-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

that pretty much sums it up. its all for honor and glory. some also like to use it to test their images to see if they are as good as they think, often they get disappointed.

I dont visit it myself because some of their rules are not very thought out, the main point being that users can submit as many images as they want for approval. this leads to users posting 100 shots at a time where 50 is of their cat from different angles and the other 50 are of a flower from different angles. to further worsen it they dont randomize them when voting so when you vote you will have to go through all those 100 shots from the same user before you can see some other shots.
06-10-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It is a gallery for displaying images from pentax camera and lenses.

06-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
and, I agree with you, that it is discerning the images are not randomized. I thought that would have been one of the first things they might have done.

roentarre, clearly it is for displaying images from Pentax equipment. It is the only way for images to get displayed.

I think it is nice that Pentax has a site like this. A way for its users to be recognized for using their equipment and producing some of the highest quality images possible. However, the recognition is quite marginal. Has anyone heard of Pentax congratulating a photographer for having a number of images accepted. Other than seeing the information switch from "Ready for Review" to "Approved in Gallery" there is really no more recognition. It is a shame that there are not benefits from Pentax after having a certain number of images accepted. Say 200 images accepted and you get free camera lens or accessory or something. It only makes sense. Maybe its me, but it seems the gallery can be overrated in some aspects.
06-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You have to remember that the PPG is very technique oriented
as most pictures on the PPG are very impressive technically a lot of times they are not my personal taste.

never the less it is nice to know that you can create an image that technically can fit in this gallery

personally I use the PPG as an excuse to buy more lenses
09-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jjeling Quote
So, here is a ? I have had for sometime. What is the point in trying to get images accepted into the Pentax Photo Gallery? I have my own thoughts and ideas, but really want to hear what some of the other people here have to say about this. Let the talk begin, Thanks.
I had the same ? for some time. I had a few photos accepted initially, although my lenses were not SMCs. Nevertheless, I tried with a large number of images to get some more accepted to no avail so I withdrew the images and retired to lick my wounds! I still tried to make sense of this, and reach a sensible conclusion.
My camera was a few models out of date, my lenses not even Pentax, and any images from this equipment would not help Pentax, even if they were good enough. The boys from Canon and Nikon would like to see this pesky competitor out of the way, but it kept hanging in there with amazing cameras and lenses. As a loyal user of Pentax equipment for more than 30 years, I understand that the Pentax Gallery needs to help the cause by showcasing the recent equipment, and helping users find , for example, which lens will suit them. I appreciate that Pentax has had to use this strategy, it has been useful for me several times, I now have later equipment and some newer Pentax lenses, and I remain a loyal Pentax user.

09-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Like Chris Bonnington said about climbing mountains "because it's there"
09-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Showing that it takes a smooth operator to create a cool image, and that Pentax dSLRs, despised by many a non-Pentax dSLR owner, can actually take decent photos...
09-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know that I can say how I would feel if I ever got an image accepted -- probably pretty good. So far, I am about 0 for 6. I do think it is a great site -- more of a sales pitch for different Pentax lenses. When you are studying a lens you want to buy and want to convince yourself you need it, it works great to go there and review the different photos taken with the specific lens.

I think probably it has gotten tougher to get into the PPG over time. There are some photos (probably from early on) that aren't particularly special.

Voting is irritating. People don't self edit and so they will up load twenty snaps from their recent trip or even twenty snaps they took of their girl friend. I just think you should pick the one or two best and submit only those.
09-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Forum Member

I quit trying, it semms like the more images that I submit, the more images get rejected, the more dejected I get. I guess I just can't handle the rejection. I still vote from time to time, just to kill ....time.
09-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Personally I can't see much point, so haven't bothered with it.
09-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax created PPG for there own reasons but there can be other reason for the people that submit other then the mountain reason. As an exercise in photography PPG requires a certain amount of technical level in your photography. An ability to self edit and critique your photos. It can help you develop an eye for what others (PPG) may look for in a photo. A tolerance for rejection and that can help with self confidents.

As with most things you get out what you put in.

DAZ
09-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

BTW, you are only allowed 10 submissions per week now so the days of hundreds of crappy vacation photos (not knocking vacation photos but you know what I mean) are coming to an end.

The submission quality is going up now that people have to think a little. However, its still not where it needs to be as far as that goes but it's getting better. Frankly it should be tough deciding if something deserves your YES vote or not but for now it's still depressingly easy to vote NO on many shots.

Mike
09-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
Forum Member

The new rules are certainly a God send. Going through hundreds of meaningless photo was not only time consuming but tedious! maybe it will get members to vote more often, that was one of the drawbacks of voting---Jeff