Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Attending a wedding in July

Hello there,

I'm attending a wedding in July for a friend and as a wedding gift I was thinking of actually shooting the wedding (from the sidelines), and then assembling a photo album and giving them that. My main "dilemma" is wether I should shoot with my K10D with my FA 28-70 f4, Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 and FA 50 1.4 (with flash of course), or should I swap out the K10D for my PZ-1p, keep the lenses and flash, and load up on some Kodak Porta NC 400 (3 or 4 rolls)? I already know what I'm looking for, but should I go with the simplicity of using my film camera and saving the hassle of actually going through every image I shot with my DSLR, editing, adjusting and everything else that's involved with shooting digital?

Honestly, I'm leaning towards using film to shoot this wedding as I wouldn't mind keeping things simple (and not to mention, somewhat lighter).

Strange, I have a K10D and I'm actually considering not using it...

06-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you aren't the hired photographer, don't try to shoot the wedding. Take some snaps, but don't try to upstage the hired pro.
06-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I was recently asked to be the secondary photog at a friend's wedding, mostly in charge of the guest candids and pre-wedding "getting ready" shots. We all had a lot of fun.

But then, the primary photog was a fairly young girl (ok, Im not an old hag or anything, just def. over 20 )with a Canon XTi & kit lens, her first DSLR, I think.
So, she wasn't one of those photogs who thought I was stepping on her toes or anything.
I was also very careful NOT to be in her way whatsoever.

If you decide to do this, take both cameras, you could change your mind!
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #4

I think I would take both camera's too just in case like Niki suggested. If you left the DSLR at home you could possibly regret it, especially if the film camera gave up right in the middle of the wedding. At an important event like that, there's not a whole lot of time to be kicking yourself for not bringing a backup camera. Especially since your photo's are going to be a gift to them from you, which I think is a gift that they will really enjoy and appreciate.

06-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
If you aren't the hired photographer, don't try to shoot the wedding. Take some snaps, but don't try to upstage the hired pro.
No plan on interfering with the hired photographer (rule number one of weddings: If you wish to live, do not anger the bride). Just shooting from my vantage point (Pew in church, table and about in the reception). My goal is to provide a different point of view of the wedding.

Wolfsfire: I don't think I'm going to need a backup camera, as the 1p has never let me down, even with dying batteries (one thing I will be bringing extra of), but thanks for the suggestion.
06-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If it's just casual snapshots from your vantage point, I would keep it light and go with the film. It seems you are more comfortable with film anyways so I guess you shoud bring your PZ-1p. Maybe just leave the K10D in the car? You can never be too safe.
06-12-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kthung, I would rather not cook my K10 in the car. I'll leave it in the hotel, if I bring it. It's July in Montreal. It'll be hot.

Thanks for the inputs!

06-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
It's not a bad idea. My wedding, we had a pro photographer for all the "bride, groom, family" shots, but thinking outside the box is OK as well. One of the missus best friends is a very talented amateur photographer, and without our knowing it took a number of shots, got them developed overnight, and put together a little photo scrapbook for us by the next morning.

Her shots weren't ones the pro would have considered, or that we would have thought of either, but they're priceless. For instance, our mothers were sitting side by side...she got a photo of them from behind, just as her mom was leaning her head over to my mom. Hard to explain but it's a very touching photo of a perfect moment that we didn't even know had happened. And it's something the pro would not likely have considered, as it was during the ceremony and she was focused (as she probably should have been) on the missus and I.

We also put disposable cameras on each of the reception tables for everyone there to use...we've only developed one or two of them, but you never know when someone will get a shot that you'll not want to forget...and the pro can only be in one place at a time.